Bedroom light stopped working - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

North Carolina
Bedroom light stopped working

The first time my wife and I took out new TT out the bedroom light stopped working. I put a new bulb in and that did not work. I connected my volt meter and and it was reading 12v, but when applying a load it will drop to 0v. It looks like there is a bad connection to this light. I took the light off and I have no clue where the wires go. This light is turned on with a switch on the light itself, not on a wall switch. Anyone have a clue as to where I can find where this lights wires go?

Also, one think that I thought was strange is that all electrical connections are made with the little square wire tap connectors. Even if the connection is made at the end of the wires.

I am getting very frustrated with all of the problems that keep popping up in this NEW TT. I have had problems that range from this light to a leaking water heater to trim falling off.

BTW it is a 2016 Kodiak 291RESL

captainmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #2

British Columbia
Hey, Captain.

Electrical gremlins are common place due in large part due to the improper, use of wire nuts. Unfortunately there is no such thing as electrical schematics available from Dutchmen, so it comes down to a job for Inspector Gadget.

I've replaced every one that I've come across, with soldered terminals, (I never use crimp terminals) so I can switch out the fixtures down the road.

Scared me seeing the way the mess of wires crammed into the electical box on the a-frame and wire nuts on the axles for the brakes!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
The first time my wife and I took out new TT out the bedroom light stopped working. I put a new bulb in and that did not work. I connected my volt meter and and it was reading 12v, but when applying a load it will drop to 0v. It looks like there is a bad connection to this light. I took the light off and I have no clue where the wires go. This light is turned on with a switch on the light itself, not on a wall switch. Anyone have a clue as to where I can find where this lights wires go?

Also, one think that I thought was strange is that all electrical connections are made with the little square wire tap connectors. Even if the connection is made at the end of the wires.

I am getting very frustrated with all of the problems that keep popping up in this NEW TT. I have had problems that range from this light to a leaking water heater to trim falling off.

BTW it is a 2016 Kodiak 291RESL
You could try jumping the light's switch and see if it works. You could also squish the 3M wire taps to see if the blind installers might have missed the wires.
It's a SWAG as to where the wires to the light terminate eventually.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

North Carolina
I found out that it is the switch in the light.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmorgan View Post
I found out that it is the switch in the light.
Don't you just hate those duh moments. I've forgotten about the lights with a switch on the fixture more than once. I manage to forget that I've gone around turning off lights that we don't need.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Don't you just hate those duh moments. I've forgotten about the lights with a switch on the fixture more than once. I manage to forget that I've gone around turning off lights that we don't need.
The switch itself is actually messed up. The switch on the light is the only way to turn it on and off. I have done what you are talking about though.