Battery Tender and or remove battery ?? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #21

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I would buy a cheap voltage meter, check it when it's plugged in to make sure it's charging, then disconnect the terminals and recheck a few hours later, that will tell you how healthy the battery is. It shouldn't be draining that fast in warm weather...
or you can take and disconnect a cable .....put a test lite between the battery post and the cable to make a circuit ... if the lite lights it means you have a draw ...
if it does not light it means you have nothin taking juice

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM   #22

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
or you can take and disconnect a cable .....put a test lite between the battery post and the cable to make a circuit ... if the lite lights it means you have a draw ...
if it does not light it means you have nothin taking juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I would buy a cheap voltage meter, check it when it's plugged in to make sure it's charging, then disconnect the terminals and recheck a few hours later, that will tell you how healthy the battery is. It shouldn't be draining that fast in warm weather...
I'm definitely going to have to wait until warmer weather to troubleshoot. Thanks for the ideas!

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 AM   #23

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I did this mod last season ... and am still losing charge to the point where my power jack won't work within a few weeks. This was during the summer when it was hot. I have a small trailer that has essentially no 12V power inside it. A few LED lights, furnace fan, CO detector and that's it. So if all of the lights are off and the furnace is off my battery should be good (even if hooked up) for a long time? It's a new trailer with a (supposedly) new battery as of last year. I thought maybe I installed it wrong, but it's on negative and there's not much more to it than that. I had Camping World look at the installation for me and they claim ti's good. :-/
If you have a battery disconnect switch and when it's off there should be nothing on in the rig. No lights anywhere. if there is then something is wrong.

I have two batteries and before I added the disconnect switch I could only go about two weeks before the low battery alarm would go off. Now that I have the switch I can go months.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #24

California
Batteries are very frustrating for sure. My last trailer had a solar panel on the roof so that kept them topped up. The problem is that I don’t think it ever cut off so I slowly boiled all the water out of my first set in about a year and had no idea it was happening because they always read full. The problem is they had no capacity and went dead in like two hours. Replaced those and then checked checked and added water each time I used the trailer from then on. That seemed to work.

This new Voltage has a disconnect in the battery compartment and I use that each time now. I hope I can get 3-4 years out of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk