Battery not charging - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2016, 11:19 PM   #1

New Hampshire
Battery not charging

Hi- I think I just posted this question in the wrong section. Will go back and delete it.

I hope someone can help me. (I'm not very technical and know I need to learn)

I just bought a 2013 Dutchmen 816Q 19 foot trailer. It's perfect for me and my two dogs. So I've had it a week, here in my driveway, and I'm getting ready to live in it full time soon. I only switch on a light now and then, but other then that, have used none of the amenities inside that would draw power.
I noticed the battery showed only three quarters full when I brought it home, so I plugged it into the outlet in my garage. It seemed to have charged, but the last few days, the lights on the display shows it's loosing charge.
This morning it was completely dead, and I've had it plugged in all day, Just checked it, nothing works when I pull the plug from the house
I hope I didn't do anything wrong

I was told this is a new battery, and it looks new to me. Last week, the fan came on when I plugged in to the house, but now it only comes on when I turn on two lights. I don't understand that, because when I turn off the lights, the fan quits.

What I'm wondering is why this battery lost it's charge when I haven't been running anything, and why I can't recharge it??

I sure hope someone can help me. I have a lot to learn, but didn't figure on battery problems so soon.

I plan to call the dealer in the morning, but just found this forum.

Thanks so much

Barbara

BarbaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

South Carolina
Interesting. Sounds like there is a fault in the converter in that the battery is no longer getting power from it. BTW, there are plenty of minor power draws on a trailer such as the propane leak detector. Definitely take it back for service. It's not uncommon for electronics to fail without any major usage. Our water heater LP control board failed on our third trip without any major usage other than the two previous trips of three days each.

Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

New Hampshire
Thanks- I'm taking it back to the dealer this week. They assured me they'd make it right.

I took the battery to Walmart last week and they tested it, told me it was fine.
Plugged it back into my trailer, and now nothing works. Doesn't make sense to me, but then I'm new to this.

I'll post what the dealer says if anyone is interested,,

thanks
Barbara
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Virginia
I'm interested. I have electrical issues to, just haven't nailed down the cause.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
clint343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

New Hampshire
Am taking the trailer back to the dealer tomorrow. I'll post what they find.

Barbara