battery drains down - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Texas
battery drains down

I have a 2013 3200 voltage with one battery, when we camp with no electricity the battery drains down!!! could I add another battery?? and how can I wire it. Can someone help me please.

poup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #2

New York
Yes you can add one or more batteries but unfortunately I (Nana) can't tell you how to wire them in series or parallel!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #3

Oklahoma
You have some things working in your rig that works on draining the battery. The water pump will do it as it will draw a good amount of amperage from your battery. Lights, the refrigerator control board, the LP gas monitor and anything that uses battery power will do it. Maybe you have a compartment light on that helping the process also.

First of all, the battery that comes in these units aren't true deep cycle batteries so they won't last as long as a real deep cycle battery will. You can add another battery to keep you going longer. The new one should be as close in capacity as the OEM battery. The connection is simple, a parallel connection is all that is needed. You will need two more cables to do this. Most auto parts store can make you up the interconnect cables that you will need.

You won't have a battery vent cover with the added battery but you can turn the OEM cover sideways and that will help until you can find another cover.

Serial and Parallel Battery Configurations and Information
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #4

Texas
thanks. I am camping this weekend with no electricity and don't have time and hook it up, but I will bring a spare battery.Thank you for your help.

poup5
poup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #5

California
we have found that a kill switch for the battery(when coach is unoccupied) helps extend batt. life as well...Good Luck!!!!
packardfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #6

Wyoming
Best thing to do is sell the battery that came with your unit and replace it with 2 six volt golf cart batteries. This is what most people do. Add a second battery box and wire them with the trailer negative wire to the negative post on one battery and the trailer positive wire to the positive terminal on the second battery. Now add a new jumper wire between the 2 remaining battery terminals. Yes, that will mean from positive on one battery to the negative on the other battery. This will give you 12 volts again from the 2 six volt batteries.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #7

Mississippi
Two Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by poup5 View Post
I have a 2013 3200 voltage with one battery, when we camp with no electricity the battery drains down!!! could I add another battery?? and how can I wire it. Can someone help me please.
Part of the selling deal I made with dealer, take the one smaller interstate battery out and install 2 much larger AGM Deep cycle batteries, the dealer made two short 2' cables and on the extra battery the positive is connected to the negative of main battery and the negative is connected to positive on main battery, this gives 12 volts with double the capacity....If you connect positive to positive and negative to negative this gives 24 volts, not good.. Google parallel and series battery connections.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 AM   #8

Delaware
I used four six volt golf cart batteries (US Battery).

here is some more info:
U.S. Battery-Configurations

U.S. Battery-US 2200 XC

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #9

Mississippi
Wrong Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Part of the selling deal I made with dealer, take the one smaller interstate battery out and install 2 much larger AGM Deep cycle batteries, the dealer made two short 2' cables and on the extra battery the positive is connected to the negative of main battery and the negative is connected to positive on main battery, this gives 12 volts with double the capacity....If you connect positive to positive and negative to negative this gives 24 volts, not good.. Google parallel and series battery connections.
Next Poster was correct, I just went out and opened my compartment, positive to positive/negative to negative which is parallel connection, if you went with two 6Volt batteries then you would wire it in series, I went the 2-12V way, but have alway heard that 2-6V wired in series was/is a better option, just selling dealer did not have 6V batteries in stock.Trojan Battery Company
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

New York
One of the things we found with our battery drain (except the bad water pump) was the television amplifier......we don't watch much TV and seldom even have the antenna up - however when I started looking for "things running in the background" I found the amplifier on - must have been on since we bought the TH.....shut it off and the battery did not seem to drain as quickly!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #11

Wyoming
That certainly would be a big drain N&P.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #12

Florida
Just found another source of battery drain this weekend. The back up camera on my 3950 is powered all the time! I was messing around and plugged in my monitor and got a nice picture of my backyard.
Owners manual says the camera is powered when you turn on your running lights but my truck wasn't even hooked up. I am sure that wifi is a good drain over a period of time.

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote