Battery Disconnect - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #1

Battery Disconnect

Can someone explain to me how the battery disconnect is supposed to work? When I flip it I still seem to get power to the trailer. Is it supposed to cut off all power? I have a Dutchmen razorback toy hauler.

Drillguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Community Founder

Re: Battery Disconnect

Is your Razorback equipped with a power inverter?

eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #3

Not that I am aware of
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Community Founder

Reason I ask, some(not all) RV s are set up this way.

Battery Disconnect

No Inverter equipped:
Power should completely shut off past the battery(ies)

Inverter equipped:
Power should be shut off to everything past the battery(ies) except to suppl the Inverter.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

Quebec

I'm going out on a limb here because I haven't actually tried this on my trailer (2012 Infinity 3640RL), but if your trailer was plugged into shore power when you disconnecedt the battery, it makes sense to me that the 12-volt system would still be fed by the converter which is supplied by the 120-volt system. In other words, the battery is offline but everything else remains connected.

Does that make sense?
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Community Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles
I'm going out on a limb here because I haven't actually tried this on my trailer (2012 Infinity 3640RL), but if your trailer was plugged into shore power when you disconnecedt the battery, it makes sense to me that the 12-volt system would still be fed by the converter which is supplied by the 120-volt system. In other words, the battery is offline but everything else remains connected.

Does that make sense?
This is true.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #7

Yeah it's not plugged in only battery but when I flip the disconnect nothing changes everything still runs fine. So I was curious if I didn't understand its purpose
Old 10-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Community Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillguy View Post
Yeah it's not plugged in only battery but when I flip the disconnect nothing changes everything still runs fine. So I was curious if I didn't understand its purpose
Is the battery disconnect switch manually operated, or relay(electrically) operated?

Is it installed on the Positive post of the battery, or the Negative post?
If connected to the (-) side, check to see if a smaller diameter wire(other than the battery cable) is connected to the Negative post. If so, this can back-feed the voltage.

Another thought. Is the battery disconnect working properly? Test it with a continuity(Ohm) meter.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #9

It is manual I will have to check on the wiring...
Old 10-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #10
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
If you are not plugged in then it should cut off all power when you use the disconnect.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #11

California
To eRVm,
Not trying to hijack the thread but are you saying the inverter should always be fed by the battery? I thought when you disconnected everything would turn off. If the battery is still connected to anything wouldn't that eventually drain it (rather than the battery just discharging naturally?) I am wondering becuase I want to install a disconnect on my Denali that did not come with one.
Jlew127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #12

Michigan
I have the Infinity 3750fl with 6 pt leveling. Is that disconnect switch for the leveling system? It would make sense if it were. Seeing as how it is located by the control switchs and the battery is on the other side of the coach. Thank you.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
I have the Infinity 3750fl with 6 pt leveling. Is that disconnect switch for the leveling system? It would make sense if it were. Seeing as how it is located by the control switchs and the battery is on the other side of the coach. Thank you.
I haven't checked to see if the disconnect kills power to the leveling system yet but I will later on.
I do know that even with the disconnect switch in the off position the battery(ies), will lose charge. I do know the LP sensor stays on with the switch off and there was something else that stayed on.
If it doesn't completely disconnect the batteries from everything then it isn't much good to me. If I want to make sure all 12 volt power is off I'll simply disconnect a battery cable. That way I know for sure and won't have to rely on a bad switch or a mis-wired switch or a switch that doesn't kill all 12 volt circuits.

sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect