All non-GFCI Outlets not working - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 AM   #1

Arizona
All non-GFCI Outlets not working

2017 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I have a number of GFCI power outlets and they are all working. The reset breaker is in the garage (by the sink) and in the main bathroom (by the sink) and all looks and works well (including outlets in the kitchen for the all important coffee.

This rig has three tv's and none of them are on GFCI outlets, and there is no power to any of the outlets that they are plugged into. They were working two weeks ago, but when we went up this week they were not working.

What have I checked/done (issue remained)
1) Turned off all breakers and turned them back on (not just check, off one by one and then on)
2) Used the dog bone to go from 50Amp --> 30AMP (thinking maybe one leg was down)
3) Got off the pole power entirely and ran the generator..

I am thinking my next steps (not necessarily in order)
1) One of the outlets in the chain is faulty causing the entire chain to go down. logic check, Would all of the tv's in the rig be in the same chain front to back?
2) One of the breakers is faulty. Logic check, Would all of the TV's (110 outlets) be on a single breaker?
3) A fuse is blown in the converter. Logic check, Does that even make sense since the tv's and 110v outlets are AC.
4) I have a bad wire somewhere.. I suspect behind the distribution panel and should check that out when I replace the breakers?

Skip-JustADadinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #2

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-JustADadinAZ View Post
2017 Dutchmen Voltage 3950

I have a number of GFCI power outlets and they are all working. The reset breaker is in the garage (by the sink) and in the main bathroom (by the sink) and all looks and works well (including outlets in the kitchen for the all important coffee.

This rig has three tv's and none of them are on GFCI outlets, and there is no power to any of the outlets that they are plugged into. They were working two weeks ago, but when we went up this week they were not working.

What have I checked/done (issue remained)
1) Turned off all breakers and turned them back on (not just check, off one by one and then on)
2) Used the dog bone to go from 50Amp --> 30AMP (thinking maybe one leg was down)
3) Got off the pole power entirely and ran the generator..

I am thinking my next steps (not necessarily in order)
1) One of the outlets in the chain is faulty causing the entire chain to go down. logic check, Would all of the tv's in the rig be in the same chain front to back?
2) One of the breakers is faulty. Logic check, Would all of the TV's (110 outlets) be on a single breaker?
3) A fuse is blown in the converter. Logic check, Does that even make sense since the tv's and 110v outlets are AC.
4) I have a bad wire somewhere.. I suspect behind the distribution panel and should check that out when I replace the breakers?
Are the breakers marked ie outlets. You have to determine which breaker works the outlets in question. Is there more than one breaker marked for outlets?
I would guess
1. defective GFI Push test then reset
2. A wire popped on the chain
3. A defective Breaker

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Florida
You may also find a GFCI in your wet bay.
Ours out there controlled several outlets inside.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:46 AM   #4

Massachusetts
just a thought .. my old camper would go into total ground fault .. similar to your situation because the electric element in the hot water tank burned out from no water ….
took much research to find problem ….disconnected wires to element and it worked ….
replaced element with new and all was good
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #5

California
I have replied to this post 3 times and my post doesn't show up. I've been an electrician for 40 years, but seems I cant post.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypride View Post
I have replied to this post 3 times and my post doesn't show up. I've been an electrician for 40 years, but seems I cant post.
Larry,
This one did finally, lol.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #7

California
Try checking on the recpticle that doesn’t work with a voltage meter not a glow stick. If you have voltage to ground you have an open neutral.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Trouble shooting

"I am thinking my next steps (not necessarily in order)
1) One of the outlets in the chain is faulty causing the entire chain to go down. logic check, Would all of the tv's in the rig be in the same chain front to back?"

Same chain is possible.
All wired to same breaker is possible.
It is more likely a connection is faulty than non-GFI outlet is bad. Fault could be in hot or cold wire connection. Since all are down it is likely near the breaker. Start buy checking connections on breakers. Next try pulling outlet nearest breaker panel.

"2) One of the breakers is faulty. Logic
check, Would all of the TV's (110 outlets) be on a single breaker? "

Yes

"3) A fuse is blown in the converter. Logic check, Does that even make sense since the tv's and 110v outlets are AC."

Fuses are probably 12 volt and are not involved.

"4) I have a bad wire somewhere.. I suspect behind the distribution panel and should check that out when I replace the breakers?"

You may have a loose connection somewhere. Checking the output from all breakers is a good start. Pull the panel, check voltage. Look for loose connections to the breakers. Look for loose connections on the ground/neutral bar. Good digital voltmeters are cheap and available at most hardware stores.

Pull each outlet. Look for loose connections on both hot and cold connections. If they are daisy chained there will be four connected wires on each outlet except for the last one. If there are other non-GFI outlets that work, they may be in the daisy chain and thus the source of the loose connection.

Non-GFI outlets can be daisy chained to GFI outlets.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

California
"I am thinking my next steps (not necessarily in order)
1) One of the outlets in the chain is faulty causing the entire chain to go down. logic check, Would all of the tv's in the rig be in the same chain front to back?"
Probably not the receptacle but the connection to receptacle.
Same chain is possible.
All wired to same breaker is possible. Very likely.
It is more likely a connection is faulty than non-GFI outlet is bad. Fault could be in hot (Black) or cold wire (white) connection. Since all are down it is likely near the breaker. Start buy checking connections on breakers. Next try pulling outlet nearest breaker panel.

"2) One of the breakers is faulty. Logic
check, Would all of the TV's (110 outlets) be on a single breaker? "

Yes

"3) A fuse is blown in the converter. Logic check, Does that even make sense since the tv's and 110v outlets are AC."

Fuses are probably 12 volt and are not involved.

"4) I have a bad wire somewhere.. I suspect behind the distribution panel and should check that out when I replace the breakers?"

You may have a loose connection somewhere. Checking the output from all breakers is a good start. Pull the panel, check voltage. Look for loose connections to the breakers. Look for loose connections on the ground/neutral bar. Good digital voltmeters are cheap and available at most hardware stores.

Pull each outlet. Look for loose connections on both hot and cold connections. If they are daisy chained there will be four connected wires on each outlet except for the last one. If there are other non-GFI outlets that work, they may be in the daisy chain and thus the source of the loose connection.

Non-GFI outlets can be daisy chained to GFI outlets.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #10

New Jersey
Non working outlets

I had a similar issue, but was transient. Long story short, there was a loose wire in one of the wire nuts coming from the main panel. The Techs has to trace the wires in the problem circuit all the way back to the panel
fireguyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #11

Alberta
Check the breakers on your generator.
There are two there, beside the starter button.
When I have had dead plugs I check there first now.
We may have had the generator running, then plugged in the trailer.
I don’t recall

robert7212 is offline   Reply With Quote