Adding extra outlets... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #1

Ontario
Adding extra outlets...

Just purchased a 2018 Coleman 1925BH Light LX series TT. Frustrating that there are so few outlets in key places. For instance there is an outlet on both sides of the murphy bed, but near the dinette, there is one up UNDER the overhead cabinets, instead of putting one under the table area. As well, there is one up UNDER the overhead cabinets over the sink. I was hoping to install either an outlet or even just USB outlets in the bunk areas so my kids can keep their own tech close by and charged there. How easy or hard is this to do? Why, with how new this is, would there not be provisions for this already?

We have only had it for a month, and only been out one weekend, but next spring hope to do some modifications, and additions... have all winter to read and learn I guess.

jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #2

Florida
EEEVVVEEERRYYBODDDYYY Does mods to their trailers. Modifications depends on the skill level of the modifiator (is that a word?)... Running wires is pretty straightforward but FISHING wires is where the challenge is. I added TWO new circuit breaker to my power panel this week and wired in some voltage monitors. That was easy because the amount of wire fishing was minimal. When it comes to getting wires someplace, where there is a will, there is almost always a way.

Remember one thing, the walls in these trailers are not very thick and the depth of the outlet can be a challenge sometimes.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatteis View Post
Just purchased a 2018 Coleman 1925BH Light LX series TT. Frustrating that there are so few outlets in key places. For instance there is an outlet on both sides of the murphy bed, but near the dinette, there is one up UNDER the overhead cabinets, instead of putting one under the table area. As well, there is one up UNDER the overhead cabinets over the sink. I was hoping to install either an outlet or even just USB outlets in the bunk areas so my kids can keep their own tech close by and charged there. How easy or hard is this to do? Why, with how new this is, would there not be provisions for this already?

We have only had it for a month, and only been out one weekend, but next spring hope to do some modifications, and additions... have all winter to read and learn I guess.

Congrats on your new trailer!

We have a 2018 Kodiak with bunk beds and it has the USB ports and lites for both bunks. So, unfortunate that yours did not.

Its not hard to add if you have some basic skills. But a good understanding of "lectric" :-)

Basically find the nearest 120 Volt outlet and connect from it back to your bunks. Then add a USB plug that runs off of 120.

The problem of course is finding a path to follow. Forget the ceiling and the walls. Much easier to use existing wiring path ways and chases. Looking at your floor plan. You have a common wall with your bunks and the pantry/kitchen. Try looking there.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:43 PM   #4

South Carolina
Is this your Trailer????
Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 AM   #5

Wisconsin
USB ports

I added USB ports to my Kodiak Cub. They run from 12 volt circuits. When plugged into shore power, the converter powers the USB. When dry camping the batteries power them.

Charging iPhones and iPads does not take much battery capacity.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
I added USB ports to my Kodiak Cub. They run from 12 volt circuits. When plugged into shore power, the converter powers the USB. When dry camping the batteries power them.

Yepper, 12 VDC would be preferable. As long as the OP can access it and get it to his bunks.

Fun, Fun!
Old 10-05-2019, 11:26 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
EEEVVVEEERRYYBODDDYYY Does mods to their trailers. Modifications depends on the skill level of the modifiator (is that a word?)... Running wires is pretty straightforward but FISHING wires is where the challenge is. I added TWO new circuit breaker to my power panel this week and wired in some voltage monitors. That was easy because the amount of wire fishing was minimal. When it comes to getting wires someplace, where there is a will, there is almost always a way.

Remember one thing, the walls in these trailers are not very thick and the depth of the outlet can be a challenge sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Congrats on your new trailer!

We have a 2018 Kodiak with bunk beds and it has the USB ports and lites for both bunks. So, unfortunate that yours did not.

Its not hard to add if you have some basic skills. But a good understanding of "lectric" :-)

Basically find the nearest 120 Volt outlet and connect from it back to your bunks. Then add a USB plug that runs off of 120.

The problem of course is finding a path to follow. Forget the ceiling and the walls. Much easier to use existing wiring path ways and chases. Looking at your floor plan. You have a common wall with your bunks and the pantry/kitchen. Try looking there.

Good Luck and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Is this your Trailer????
Thanks for the responses and yes, that is our trailer. The bathroom plug is on the wall that butts up to the bunks... or near it, I may be able to tie into that, and drill through the wall to the bunk side. Not a big deal currently, but for me, the bigger deal is the counter top and dinette. If we plug in our toaster or kettle, coffee maker etc, we have to have a cord hanging down, from the under cabinet area. I think for the counter top, I may run wall mounted conduit, the kind they use for TV applications, it looks OK and will keep everything neat and just run along the floor from the plug beside the queen and over to the side of the kitchen counter. My wife would like to put a flip up table or countertop there any how to pop up and put the small appliances on when in use. I imagine with nicer weather, we'll just set it all up outside under the awning, etc and prep outside.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post

Did you just wire it into the converter panel? I don't think I have any extra fused locations that are not being used, but that is a great possibility as the converter/panel is in a kickplate wall right under the bunks. I could wire in from behind and just tuck the wiring into the corners with conduit.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:36 AM   #9

Wisconsin
I added them to existing circuits.
The fuses protect the wires. I did not need more fuses. USB ports don't draw much current.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote