Adding 12 Volt and 110 Volt Outlets - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Virginia
Adding 12 Volt and 110 Volt Outlets

I have a 2017 Coleman CTS 192 which has no 12 Volt outlets. I plan to add several internal and external 12 Volt and 110 Volt outlets. I could tie into existing circuits but would like to tie the new circuits back to the power panel. Problems with this include no trailer schematics and I'm not for sure how to patch the wall material.

Drywall patches are pretty easy but this wall material in RV's is something I have no experience with. They even have this material on the shower walls - no shower surround Anyone have experience patching this RV wall material? Anyone had problem with this material in the shower?

I spoke with an RV tech who said the walls were “solid core” or something like that. Maybe he was talking about foam insulation so it might be really difficult to run the wiring even if I could patch the wall material.

For the 12 Volt outlets I was hoping to find wall mounted sockets with dual 12 Volt outlets but never found any. Anyone found such a 12 Volt outlet? Kind of like this but with two or more sockets in the panel - https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product.../dp/B00076WQDG.
I found this 3 socket outlet designed for cars which seems like it would work pretty well - https://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Ex.../dp/B00PXAMYTC. This is for interior use. For exterior use I found a dual outlet with Marine on it but not for sure how well it would handle the elements - https://www.amazon.com/SOLOOP-Cigare.../dp/B01HULC00E.

WannaBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #2

South Carolina
I did some searches to help you, but came up dry myself. I did find some pictures of nice 12 vdc outlets, paired with one or two USB sockets. You might consider that, too, for you phone and other chargers. However, I couldn't even track the pictures down to a reliable source!

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #3

Wyoming
Not sure if this would help you... but in the motorcycle world (especially BMW), we use a lot of Powerlet products. Similar to a cigarette lighter outlet, but more secure... and made for exterior applications.

Power Outlet Kits - Powerlet Products
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
For most of my applications I use Blue Sea stuff. I had them on my boats in the past and they were good stuff. Not cheap, but they last.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

Ohio
I have a 2017 CTS16FB and was shocked that there were no 12V outlets. I really would like the ability to charge my cell phone overnight from the battery as some times that might be my only option. Being afraid to cut into the walls and worried about wiring and patching and such I ended up buying a portable power pack that I can charge at home and it should accommodate my minor power needs for a weekend trip. But to have a battery but no access to its power (except for lights) is a bit strange IMHO.

This is what I bought. But I have to have it "turned on" so the fan runs even if I'm just plugging in USB ... so I'm not 100% happy with this item. :/
5-in-1 Portable Power Pack with Jump Start
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
I added several outlets to my Coleman 16FB. I put a heavy duty cigarette style outlet on the side of the fridge cabinet for my bride's Endless Breeze fan, there WILL be air moving or she isn't sleeping. I also added some USB ports in the cabinet that holds the stereo, those were easy I just tapped the stereo power feed. For the one on the fridge cabinet I fed the wire back to the converter. I picked up an extra circuit when I replaced my converter with a better quality one.

You have to remember that they are trying to build these things as cheaply as possible, every dollar they can get out of NOT putting something in, translates to profit for them. I have built a couple of RV's from scratch and rebuilt several more over the years. The quality of some things has gone up and other things have gone down or been eliminated.

Aaron
Old 04-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I added several outlets to my Coleman 16FB. I put a heavy duty cigarette style outlet on the side of the fridge cabinet for my bride's Endless Breeze fan, there WILL be air moving or she isn't sleeping. I also added some USB ports in the cabinet that holds the stereo, those were easy I just tapped the stereo power feed. For the one on the fridge cabinet I fed the wire back to the converter. I picked up an extra circuit when I replaced my converter with a better quality one.

You have to remember that they are trying to build these things as cheaply as possible, every dollar they can get out of NOT putting something in, translates to profit for them. I have built a couple of RV's from scratch and rebuilt several more over the years. The quality of some things has gone up and other things have gone down or been eliminated.

Aaron
I'm sure you've had them open, what is the construction of the walls? How hard is it to fish wire through?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
There is fiberglass batt insulation in them that makes fishing things interesting. The framing is wood. I have the best luck getting things through the ceiling cavities, there is space in the trusses. If you have nearby things like lights or outlets that can be removed it makes fishing a bit easier. The bulk of the 12 volt stuff is in the ceiling already.

Aaron
Old 04-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #9

Ohio
Quote:
There is fiberglass batt insulation in them that makes fishing things interesting. The framing is wood. I have the best luck getting things through the ceiling cavities, there is space in the trusses. If you have nearby things like lights or outlets that can be removed it makes fishing a bit easier. The bulk of the 12 volt stuff is in the ceiling already.

Aaron
You've gotten my gears turning now. Tap off of light above bed, run 12v across ceiling then down inside cabinet and add a plug to the front of the wardrobe. (As always, easier said than done).

Now I just need to get my trailer back from service to scope it out!

Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Don't forget you have access to the storage compartment and the water tank compartment for fishing wiring through too. I put USB ports on both sides by tapping off the water pump circuit and feeding it through the storage compartment.

In some ways I miss the little trailer, we probably should have kept it and just added the motor home to the fleet. I mean, really, what's one more... we have over a dozen vehicle here on the farm already.

Aaron
Old 04-25-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
You've gotten my gears turning now. Tap off of light above bed, run 12v across ceiling then down inside cabinet and add a plug to the front of the wardrobe. (As always, easier said than done).

Now I just need to get my trailer back from service to scope it out!

Where is the, above the bed, light switch located?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #12

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Where is the, above the bed, light switch located?
I have no interior light switches. All fixtures have a center pushbutton control.

Makes it easy to figure out how to turn off the lights, but turning the lights on in the dark can be tricky!
PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Pam,

I added a ceiling mount light in the entry way, if you can find my mod thread (I can't at the moment) you can see how easy it is to add it. I pulled the bathroom vent garnish and fished the wires from that area over to the area by the door and added a ceiling light in the entry way. I also added switches in the end of the cabinet by the door to turn the dinette light on and off from the door way.

Aaron
Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Found it!

Here is the link to most of the mods I made on our Coleman.

Dang! That thread is HUGE! Here is a link to the specific post.

Aaron
Old 04-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
I have no interior light switches. All fixtures have a center pushbutton control.

Makes it easy to figure out how to turn off the lights, but turning the lights on in the dark can be tricky!
That makes it easy to tap your 12 volts then.
There is a gaggle of motion detected 12 volt lights on ebay. Don't want one too close to the bed though but with some imagination you could light up an area as needed.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #16

Nevada
You don't want to look here
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-mods-666.html

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 AM   #17

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
That makes it easy to tap your 12 volts then.
There is a gaggle of motion detected 12 volt lights on ebay. Don't want one too close to the bed though but with some imagination you could light up an area as needed.
My solution so far is a tap light at the entrance. Once I'm in it's easy enough and small enough to stumble around!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 AM   #18

Ohio
Quote:
Found it!

Here is the link to most of the mods I made on our Coleman.

Dang! That thread is HUGE! Here is a link to the specific post.

Aaron
I found your link before I bought my trailer...and this time I might bookmark it! 😅

Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #19

Virginia
Thanks Pam. We have a couple cpaps. A Renogy tech thought they would draw about 100AHs so I'm going to need to go the 12V outlet app. This might be good for solo car camping though. Thanks!
WannaBeFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #20

Virginia
Aaron. Those Coleman mods are giving me some great upgrade ideas

Have you ever removed the panels in the cabinetry to access wiring? In the image with the radio there is a highlighted vertical piece of wood screwed in with two screws. I'm thinking that removing that might allow access to the radio wiring. Also in the same image I noticed all of the cabinet bottoms seem to have an inch or two between the outside and inside bottom which I'm guessing allows access for 12V wiring to reach the under cabinet lighting. Have you ever removed the bottom inside a cabinet?

The second image shows wood panels in the bath sink area. There I found two horizontal pieces of wood screwed in which I'm thinking might allow access to the area below. For this mod I'd like to remove the bottom of the sink as the toilet area is very crowded. Before ripping out the cabinet I'd like to see what is happening below. Any suggestions on accessing the paneled over areas below the sink?

To access my water pump I have to lift and hold up the jackknife sofa. I'm guessing there is no way of locking the jackknife sofa in place but thought I would ask as this is not fun

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinetpanels.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	4040   Click image for larger version

Name:	bathpanels.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4041   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterpumpaccess.jpg