A good RV electrical primer video - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 702
South Carolina
A good RV electrical primer video

A friend posted a link to this video on FB. Thought I'd share it with you. While there, YouTube has several videos on the same subject. Might be a good link to point to when we see those questions posted by those who need this information.
__________________

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Triad
Posts: 21
North Carolina
Very informative video. Minor error, at the end he shows a 50 amp plug. It only has 3 prongs. RV 50 amp has 4 prongs. Neutral, ground, and two 50 amp hot circuits.
__________________

Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 702
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Very informative video. Minor error, at the end he shows a 50 amp plug. It only has 3 prongs. RV 50 amp has 4 prongs. Neutral, ground, and two 50 amp hot circuits.
After your comment, I looked again. The only time a real, 4-prong 50 amp is shown is at 12:36, going into a 30 amp adapter. Then it goes into a 15 amp adapter. He gets off-track a little by showing a 50 amp wall service receptacle, which is two hots, a neutral, and a chassis ground. Then again, at 13:43, he plugs the 50 amp plug into a 30 amp adapter again, but so quick, and hidden by his hand, that you don't see anything.
Your point is still very valid. There are many people on these boards who use these adapters, and don't have a clue about what they are doing, or the limitations they encounter. As good as the video is, it could be even more demonstrative in this area.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Triad
Posts: 21
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
After your comment, I looked again. The only time a real, 4-prong 50 amp is shown is at 12:36, going into a 30 amp adapter. Then it goes into a 15 amp adapter. He gets off-track a little by showing a 50 amp wall service receptacle, which is two hots, a neutral, and a chassis ground. Then again, at 13:43, he plugs the 50 amp plug into a 30 amp adapter again, but so quick, and hidden by his hand, that you don't see anything.
Your point is still very valid. There are many people on these boards who use these adapters, and don't have a clue about what they are doing, or the limitations they encounter. As good as the video is, it could be even more demonstrative in this area.
I should have posted the time I am referring to. It is at 13:27.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 702
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I should have posted the time I am referring to. It is at 13:27.
That's not the campsite pedestal outlet. That's a wall-mounted connector, and I believe the ground is connected via the outer ring. Notice the steel edge. It does say 50 amp. But I have never had a camper with such a detachable cord. Maybe somebody here can elaborate. Here's a picture of such a 50 amp connector, designed to connect a generator to the RV. Notice the brass connector on the sleeve, which would connect with the steel edge in the picture. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...331/p9358.html
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Hawthorne
Posts: 12
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
That's not the campsite pedestal outlet. That's a wall-mounted connector, and I believe the ground is connected via the outer ring. Notice the steel edge. It does say 50 amp. But I have never had a camper with such a detachable cord. Maybe somebody here can elaborate. Here's a picture of such a 50 amp connector, designed to connect a generator to the RV. Notice the brass connector on the sleeve, which would connect with the steel edge in the picture. https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...331/p9358.html
That's what my 50A connector on the camper looks like. The earth (4th pin) is the metal strip you see at about the 8 oclock position.
__________________
2016 VT3970
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab Dually
RobMilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 10
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Very informative video. Minor error, at the end he shows a 50 amp plug. It only has 3 prongs. RV 50 amp has 4 prongs. Neutral, ground, and two 50 amp hot circuits.
If you look closely at the bottom left, the ground connection is on the outer side of the plug.
__________________

sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Popular Tags
#coleman 5th wheel 12vdc power connection 255bhsl kodiak 2003 35bh 2018 atlas 3818 aerolite air conditioning alabama battery battery charging bike rack black water tank size buying cable hookup canvas charge controller coleman condensation converter denali lights diagrams drain dutchmen dutchmen classic 28bh electric conversion elyectrical floor four winds frame fresh water tank furnace gen hot water heater hydraulic interior international inverter inverter kodiak lippert lost voltage panel modification pilot. sway presidential rain ram 3500 recommended refrigerator repair replace replacement roof build rubicon sandwich floor sensot slide out solar stove structural fault switch t@da tank guage thermostat tires toyhauler toyhauler dust rampdoor tub water heater wiring diagram
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.