95 dutchman classic battery wont charge - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 AM   #1

Ontario
95 dutchman classic battery wont charge

Hi im new here and i am trying to figure out why my camper wont charge my battery when it is plugged into the house everything works perfect on 12v and 120v it just doesnt charge when i plug it in i have sleep apnea and love to camp so i bring a generator to charge my camper during the day because my machine really sucks the battery down but cant figure out this charging thing other than to bring a battery charger with me any ideas would be more than helpful
Thanks
Jamie Breault

Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 AM   #2

South Carolina
First, how old is the battery? Unless kept on a charge of some type and the plates covered with electrolyte (fill with water only), the battery will die rather quickly. I was replacing the battery on an annual basis until I relearned that.
Second, check the 120V breakers and wiring to ensure that the converter is getting 120V input.
Third, check to see that the converter is actually producing 13-14v output and that the output fuse is not blown. Ensure that the polarity connection at the battery is not backwards.

Hope that this helps with your troubleshooting.

Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 AM   #3

Ontario
Thank you
The battery is brand new its a series 31 deep cycle marine battery i did notice there is only two wires going from the trailer to the battery a red on positive and a black on negative should i have a third one for it to be charging off the inverter i will check the fuzes today
Old 05-28-2015, 04:40 AM   #4

Ontario
I have also checked to see if it will run on only 12v and also checked it on 120v
Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
There should only be two wires going to the battery. Now you need to see if the converter is actually charging the battery. With the trailer unplugged from 120 volt measure your battery voltage. It should read no more than 12.7v and probably less. Plug the trailer back up to 120v and check the battery voltage again, it should be 13.5v or higher. If not you either have a blown fuse or an issue with the converter. It could also be a loose fuse or connection at the converter.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote