6 volt battery trickle charge - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Adair1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 220
Ontario
6 volt battery trickle charge

I switched to 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries for the Kodiak this summer and it was a great upgrade. However, over the winter, can I use the old 12 volt trickle charger I used on the old 12 volt battery on these 6 volt deep cycle batteries?
__________________

__________________
I see dead people (really I do)
2014 Kodiak 291 RESL
2014 Ford F150 FX4 w/5 litre V8 and tow kit
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,149
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
I switched to 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries for the Kodiak this summer and it was a great upgrade. However, over the winter, can I use the old 12 volt trickle charger I used on the old 12 volt battery on these 6 volt deep cycle batteries?
Sure, as long as they are still paired for 12 volts.
__________________

__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Adair1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 220
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Sure, as long as they are still paired for 12 volts.
So I would put the negative connector on one battery and the positive connector on the second battery?
__________________
I see dead people (really I do)
2014 Kodiak 291 RESL
2014 Ford F150 FX4 w/5 litre V8 and tow kit
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,149
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
So I would put the negative connector on one battery and the positive connector on the second battery?
The battery that has the cables that feed the 12 volts to the fuses or whatever is where you would attach the charger.
If unsure use your VOM to check your voltages.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dalzell
Posts: 674
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The battery that has the cables that feed the 12 volts to the fuses or whatever is where you would attach the charger.
If unsure use your VOM to check your voltages.
No, the cables don't both go to the same battery, in a 2X6volt system. Like he guessed earlier, the positive goes to the battery positive feeding the vehicle, and the negative goes to the OTHER battery negative, which should be going to chassis ground. Your description of wiring the charger to one battery would be true if he had 2 X 12 volt batteries in parallel.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,149
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
No, the cables don't both go to the same battery, in a 2X6volt system. Like he guessed earlier, the positive goes to the battery positive feeding the vehicle, and the negative goes to the OTHER battery negative, which should be going to chassis ground. Your description of wiring the charger to one battery would be true if he had 2 X 12 volt batteries in parallel.
Yeah, my bad. I should have specified to use the vehicle ground for the negative charger cable.
Hopefully he used the VOM to verify hookup as suggested.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Adair1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Barrie
Posts: 220
Ontario
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated
__________________
I see dead people (really I do)
2014 Kodiak 291 RESL
2014 Ford F150 FX4 w/5 litre V8 and tow kit
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central
Posts: 33
Massachusetts
not sure if in correct thread ....
I have a 2013 202 RBS...
does anybody know it it had a battery shut off for storage ??
I don't see one ?
Mongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tampa
Posts: 267
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
not sure if in correct thread ....
I have a 2013 202 RBS...
does anybody know it it had a battery shut off for storage ??
I don't see one ?

I'm installing a solar panel and a battery shut off today!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ridgway
Posts: 257
Colorado
Another Question

Hi all, I thought I'd add onto this thread rather than start a new. I have (2) 12V batteries on my TT. We are going to be storing it for 2 months in the Grand Junction, CO area while we take a trip overseas. In the past I've been able to plug in while gone but not this time so I'm thinking of trying a solar charger to keep the batteries topped up. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-...ustomerReviews
I assume my batteries are wired in tandem and I'd just hook the cables to one battery and it will charge both, correct?
Any other suggestion? I do not have the option of removing them and storing them in a garage, etc. They have to stay on the camper.
Thanks!
Randy
Kodiak 240 BHSL
__________________

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


DutchmenOwners.com is not in any way associated with Dutchmen Manufacturing, or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.