4 Stage and AGM - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

Illinois
4 Stage and AGM

So, looking to upgrade my 12v systems. Currently its the factory installed converter/charger in a Coleman 274BH, and the run of the mill Exide deep cycle in the box. I have a 12' cargo trailer that I converted to use for RC plane storage and field shop so it have an AGM deep cycle that I maintain with a solar panel on the roof. However I have to occasionally disconnect it and run my desulfate charger on it to maintain it's viability, already fried a flooded with the solar charger once.

I want to replace the one in my RV with probably a Progressive P9200 series, and want to replace the flooded with two AGM, but not sure what amp output charger to use. 60 amp or 80 amp?

I heard the PD is a good charger, do others think otherwise and alternatives to it if not?

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Wisconsin
The converter/charger in your TT may be the best option. Find the specs on it. Mine is a 40 amp WFCO multistage fast charger.
My old one in my previous TT was a 30 amp constant voltage charger. It was good, but the fast charger is better.

What are the specs on the charger you use with your utility trailer? You can buy cheap fast chargers at a hardware or automotive store, but they are inconvenient for use with a TT.

Look this up on the internet https://wfcoelectronics.com/. You can buy them from many RV/TT sources.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
I want to replace the one in my RV with probably a Progressive P9200 series, and want to replace the flooded with two AGM, but not sure what amp output charger to use. 60 amp or 80 amp?

I heard the PD is a good charger, do others think otherwise and alternatives to it if not?
I have two 100 amp hour Interstate AGM batteries in my TT. I charge with my factory installed WFCO 40 amp multi stage fast charger. You probably don't need more than that. The max capacity only matters for the first one to two hours of deep cycle charging. After that the batteries will limit the current anyway.

Check with the battery manufacture to find the maximum charging rate your particular batteries can use.

I have no experience with a PD charger.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Illinois
The one in mine is a single stage, and what I use for the RC trailer is just a basic charger/starter with desulphate mode. IT's a Stanley smart charger. I will see if I can find the manufacturer for the Farm and Fleet AGM I plan to use to find the specs. I have one that is in the RC trailer and is handling the job just fine, going on it's third year.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

British Columbia
If you are going to the expense of AGM then it is worth adding a quality multi-stage charger. The issue with the ones in the hardware stores is that they take 120v and step down to 12v. If you are charging off solar, you want a 12v > 12v multi-stage.

I know some folks just charge right off the solar and for small panels that may be an option but it will never take care of your AGM like a multi-stage will.
TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Illinois
No solar on this trailer, maybe the next one. I only have a small battery charger solar on my RC trailer. It's just a 6 x 12 enclosed that I use to ferry my planes to the flying fields and use as a repair shop if something breaks. Knowing that suphication kills batteries, already killed one deep cycle, I want a good unit in my TT so not to kill the AGM when not in use. I keep the trailer plugged in year round.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #7

British Columbia
In that case, any of the good quality multi-stage chargers should work. I use C-Tec, I even have one permanently installed on my RAM diesel as it can sit for a while between uses. There will be other good quality ones out there too.
TripitakaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Battery University

Quote:
No solar on this trailer, maybe the next one. I only have a small battery charger solar on my RC trailer. It's just a 6 x 12 enclosed that I use to ferry my planes to the flying fields and use as a repair shop if something breaks. Knowing that suphication kills batteries, already killed one deep cycle, I want a good unit in my TT so not to kill the AGM when not in use. I keep the trailer plugged in year round.
AGM https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/absorbent_glass_mat_agm
Here is what you need to know about AGM's that is different from flooded cell batteries. Generally they do not need de-sulfating. In fact sudden high charge rates used to de-sulfate can cause venting which permanently damages AGM's.

Fast charge for typical AGM
1) Bulk charge up to 14.4 volts for 4 hours or less
2) long absorption charge at 13.6 volts (14 hours or more)
3) maintenance at 13.2 volts for sustained storage
or battery disconnect for 6 months storage.

Your 1 stage charger in your TT may be set to 13.2 and will work fine unless you want to charge faster. You do not usually need a de-sulfation stage for AGM's.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #9

Illinois
If I dont need it for AGM, that will save me some money, however, with two in parallel, will the OEM unit have enough amps to charge both equally? Not sure what the output is without pulling the panel and doing the contortion routine.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Quote:
If I dont need it for AGM, that will save me some money, however, with two in parallel, will the OEM unit have enough amps to charge both equally? Not sure what the output is without pulling the panel and doing the contortion routine.
Connecting the two batteries in parallel with heavy gage wire will make sure they are both charged equally.

A 20 amp constant voltage charger will work fine. A 40 amp constant voltage charger will charge faster. My two 100 amp hour AGM's take about 18 hours to charge to 100% (12.9 volts stable or static voltage). The last 10 hours, the current is only 2 or 3 amps, so it makes no difference.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Illinois
Hmm no thanks button, so here you go, Thanks. I will see if somewhere in that pile of paper that came with the trailer is information on the charger.