2nd tv install problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Colorado
2nd tv install problems

Hello everyone, I just installed a 2nd TV in the bedroom on our Kodiak 240BHSL. We are currently staying in a campground in San Diego, CA so we have both a cable TV hook up at the site and plenty of channels running off the antenna.
In one of the little "cubby's" in the bedroom is the switch to turn on the antenna booster with a single coax cable screwed into it, above that is another plate that has a empty coax cable connection. I installed the TV and connected a coax from the TV to the empy jack I just mentioned. Turned on the TV and did a channel search off the antenna and I got 3 channels (I'm getting 15+ on the main TV). Then I thought maybe I'm not on the antenna on that jack (cable only at that connection?) so I went out and connected the cable and rescanned for stations this time with cable input selected on the TV. Same result, the main TV has 15+ channels and the new bedroom TV gets the same exact 3 channels. Not sure where to start trouble shooting this? Any help is appreciated!

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #2

Colorado
More info

Looking at the owners manual again for the TV I have the coax cable going into the "75 ohm Antenna socket" on the TV. That was the only coax option.
Other connections on the TV are
HDMI
PC Input
Component Input
Video input
Of course none of these are a coax.
Should I be looking to plug in somewhere else with a "converter" like coax to RCA cable?

Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Colorado
On the side of the tv I also have a single orange RCA style plug labeled "coax"
Old 11-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #4

Louisiana
Dutchmen is known for using cheap crimp connectors for the coax, which tend to have high signal loss, so it's not surprising you're main TV gets 5 times the channels the secondary TV gets. The common solution is to replace all connectors with the compression type.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
Also change out the signal splitters. It will take a little work to find them but your picture quality will go up dramatically. In my 242RESL two of my splitters were buried down with the hot water heater. I guess this was a good thing as they could have hid them in the wall some place.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Colorado
Thank you

Thank you for the replies. What I ended up doing yesterday was locating a splitter behind the radio/DVD player. It has a single coax going in and 2 coax connected to the output. I disconnected one of the output's, made sure it did not affect the main TV then connected the new TV to that. Turned it on, did the channel scan a boom it all works. The question now is what did that coax line feed that I just pulled off? It was not the radio, I checked that. What I may do at this point is go to Radio Shack and see if they have a splitter that has 1 input to 3 outputs. That would solve the problem.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #7

Quebec
In the cubby you mention in the bedroom, did you ever take off that plate with the coax connection to see if it is properly connected on the other side? I am wondering if that coax coming off the splitter behind the main TV is supposed to be connected to the bedroom connection, but is somehow not properly attached.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #8

Saskatchewan
The cable you took off the splitter that made everything work, could that be going to an outside connection? I have a jack in the front storage and another one outside next to the door.

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Colorado
You may be right. As I said, I think I'll just get a 1-3 splitter. For now both TV's work great with both cable and antenna so mission accomplished!
Thanks again everyone.