2018 Kodiak Cub - Furrion Camera - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

British Columbia
2018 Kodiak Cub - Furrion Camera

Hi everyone

I just got a 2018 Cub, It came with the pre wire Furrion setup.

I have 2 questions that I cant seem to find on the forums or google.

1) Is the power wire always hot ? as i dont want to drain my battery due to mostly dry camping

2) I'm I married to using the Furrion system / or would a cheaper observation camera system plug into the same plug ?

Thanks
Greg

gsills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #2

Florida
Furrion Camera

I just purchased a 1605 Coachman that had the Furrion prewire. After looking at the price of the Furrion camera system and the tiny size of the screen, I wasnt about to go that route. I simply ordered a Wireless backup system from amazon for $199 with a 7" screen. I mounted the camera itself just under the Furrion housing. I wired it into the running lights just above the Furrion housing. It works like a charm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180630_202210555.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	4849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180630_202304566.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	4850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180630_202314145.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4851  

sistahazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #3

Florida
Welcome to the best RV forum on the inter-web neighbor!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsills View Post
Hi everyone

I just got a 2018 Cub, It came with the pre wire Furrion setup.

I have 2 questions that I cant seem to find on the forums or google.

1) Is the power wire always hot ? as i dont want to drain my battery due to mostly dry camping

2) I'm I married to using the Furrion system / or would a cheaper observation camera system plug into the same plug ?

Thanks
Greg

Greg, Congrats.
I ordered the Furrion. Yea it costs too much ughh. But works very well so far.

On our 2018 Kodiak the power is only on if I turn on the Parking lights on our tow vehicle. Which turns on the Clearance lights on the trailer and applies power to the camera wire in the mounting.

As the reply from sistahazel shows you can use the wire just not the actual mount.

There is a camera out there that has an adapter to use the Furrion mount. I don't recall the name sorry. But I did not pick it for some reason that evades me today. Maybe not enough price advantage.

Good Luck
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsills View Post
I bought my Cub last December. I think it is a 2018 as well. I am not sure what you want to do. The house battery was always hot on mine.
There is a small parasitic load when all 12 volt appliances are turned off. There was no battery disconnect on mine. You can easily remove one of the battery wires as a substitute. Remember to hook it up again before towing. You need it for emergency breaking.
I added a Bussmann circuit breaker to the inside of the "A" frame under the front of the trailer. I by passed the 40 amp resetting breaker by running a 6 gage wire from the battery to the new breaker and took the 6 gage wire to the converter out of junction box attached to the "A" frame under the front of the trailer. The breaker doubles as battery disconnect that leaves the breaking system on the 40 amp self resetting breaker on the tongue.
As long as the new breaker is on everything still charges from both the tow vehicle and the house converter.
Shut it off for long term storage.
Paul Bristol
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #6

California
I have a 2018 Kodiak 201QB with the Furrion prewired camera mount. I purchased the camera setup from Amazon the other day and installed the camera. Was not certain where the camera gets its power from, so I called Keystone and they originally told be that "it gets it power from the backup lights". Ha, I said trailers usually do not have back up lights. Then the rep changed her instructions and told me that the power comes from the running lights above the camera mount. Makes sense, and you just confirmed it. I have yet to try out my new camera, but soon.
PapaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMikey View Post
I have a 2018 Kodiak 201QB with the Furrion prewired camera mount. I purchased the camera setup from Amazon the other day and installed the camera. Was not certain where the camera gets its power from, so I called Keystone and they originally told be that "it gets it power from the backup lights". Ha, I said trailers usually do not have back up lights. Then the rep changed her instructions and told me that the power comes from the running lights above the camera mount. Makes sense, and you just confirmed it. I have yet to try out my new camera, but soon.
you should have told her that they must have forgotten to install the backup lights on your camper and you need to take it to the dealership for warranty!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote