2017 Voltage 3970 Gen Connections - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #1

Kentucky
2017 Voltage 3970 Gen Connections

Hello,

I have a 2017 Voltage 3970. It has a 5.5kw Onan RVQG Generator. I am installing a solar system on the 5th wheel with an inverter tied to the electrical system. The inverter has a "Auto Gen Start/Stop 2-wire connection on the side of it. It can be wired directly to the generator from my understanding. Is this possible? I know the EC-30 is obsolete at this time. I have a wiring diagram for the gen but not sure about how to wire it up. The inverter is a AIMS POWER 4000 watt pure sine inverter w/lcd control panel.

Does this model 5th wheel have Auto Gen Start when the batteries are below a certain voltage? If no it has never kicked on or do I know how to check to see if that is available. Thanks.

campincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

Wisconsin
The RV does not have a remote gen start, the Onan generator does.
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...-LP/p6316.html
Look up the manual for the Onan.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
The RV does not have a remote gen start, the Onan generator does.
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...-LP/p6316.html
Look up the manual for the Onan.
I have the manual but I can not find anything related to wiring up the auto start feature. The only thing I know about is to maybe run 2 wires to the start /stop wires then to the inverter.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Did you look at the link I posted? There is a remote start kit associated with it. Does it look like your generator?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #5

Kentucky
Quote:
Did you look at the link I posted? There is a remote start kit associated with it. Does it look like your generator?
That is the correct gen. I can start the gen from inside the coach, even from my phone. But I want the gen to wire into my inverter so it will auto start when the battery is low.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #6

Wisconsin
The manual for the remote start kits shows wiring diagrams. The start and stop buttons on the remotes are momentary contact single pole, double through switches. They act by grounding one wire or the other. They are normally off.

Start the generator by grounding the start wire. Stop by grounding the stop button. The inverter must do the same. Does the manual for the inverter have instructions for wiring to the generator?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
The manual for the remote start kits shows wiring diagrams. The start and stop buttons on the remotes are momentary contact single pole, double through switches. They act by grounding one wire or the other. They are normally off.

Start the generator by grounding the start wire. Stop by grounding the stop button. The inverter must do the same. Does the manual for the inverter have instructions for wiring to the generator?
No, the manual for the inverter just explains the feature, no wiring diagram. Im thinking that I'll have to run a wire to the start and stop wires on the generator then to the inverter so it will ground them out. That's all i can think of at this point.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Wisconsin
There are two other wires in the kit cable. One is the "remote run" and the other the "status" wires. The "basic" remote switch also uses the status wire but not the run wire. I don't know if the inverter can use one, the other or both.

What is the make and model of the inverter?

Disclaimer, I do not have any of this equipment. I have never wired an inverter to a generator start system.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

Kentucky
Quote:
There are two other wires in the kit cable. One is the "remote run" and the other the "status" wires. The "basic" remote switch also uses the status wire but not the run wire. I don't know if the inverter can use one, the other or both.

What is the make and model of the inverter?

Disclaimer, I do not have any of this equipment. I have never wired an inverter to a generator start system.
4000 watt AIMS Power Pure Sine Inverter.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Aims (https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...harger-UL.html) lists a 3000 watt 12 volt inverter with transfer switch. Aims does not list a 4000 watt 12 volt inverter.
What is the model number?
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 PM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:
Aims (https://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-P...harger-UL.html) lists a 3000 watt 12 volt inverter with transfer switch. Aims does not list a 4000 watt 12 volt inverter.
What is the model number?
Here is the link.

https://www.aimscorp.net/4000-Watt-12-Volt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Charger.html

It will be installed between the transfer switch and the breaker panel. AIMS sent a diagram. If you look on the front corner you will see the 2 wire connection for the auto gen start.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Charger/Converter/Inverter/ BMS

I reviewed the manual for the 3000 watt 12 model. I see it is a sophisticated system. The manual describes the remote generator start in terms I am not familiar with. The manual does not show a circuit diagram for the remote gen start.

Did you install this system in your TT? You may want a trained technician to help you with this installation or you could call either Onan or Aims for instructions. If you make certain mistakes when hooking this up, you could destroy some expensive electronics.

I don't feel qualified to advise on this.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:45 AM   #13

Kentucky
Quote:
I reviewed the manual for the 3000 watt 12 model. I see it is a sophisticated system. The manual describes the remote generator start in terms I am not familiar with. The manual does not show a circuit diagram for the remote gen start.

Did you install this system in your TT? You may want a trained technician to help you with this installation or you could call either Onan or Aims for instructions. If you make certain mistakes when hooking this up, you could destroy some expensive electronics.

I don't feel qualified to advise on this.
Yes it is a pretty sophisticated system. We have a tech coming out next week to take a look. Beyond my understanding lol. I appreciate all your help on this. I will let you know the outcome when we figure it out. But I'm definitely not going to be connecting it myself. It's hard to find a remote tech so I have an electrician coming out to see about wiring it between the transfer switch and breaker box and look at the gen. I hope to have it all connected by end of next week hopefully.

Tags
5th wheel, gen, generator, inverter, voltage