2012 denali 289RK Electrical question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Oregon
Question 2012 denali 289RK Electrical question

Our 110 plug under the living room window quit working. Everything else works. TT has 6 breakers (Main, GFI, General, Microwave, A/C and W/H). I need someone with a TT of this model to plug their TT into land power and with the General breaker on, check if the plug under the living room window has power. Then shutoff their General breaker and see if the plug under the living room window loses power. Thank you for the help, Larry

blueskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 AM   #2

Missouri
That's funny, I just bought a new 2014 289RK and I was out in it today and I was going to check all of my electrical stuff to see what was on the general circuit. However, I got side tracked and didn't do it.

I will be happy to check for you tomorrow. Keep in mind, that it seems that they change things all the time with how these are built. So my circuits may be different.

Have you tried pulling to receptacle out and check the connection to make sure a wire is not loose?

I am a electrician by trade, so I might be able to help you through this..

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

Oregon
Thank you Eric...

Yes I did check and there's no power at the wires with all breakers on. Also, there is only one romex to the receptacle.

The General breaker shuts off:

The plug in the side of the seat under the dinette table. This plug is fed by a flexible cable and then has one romex to another plug under the seat for the air mattress pump. It ends there.

The main TV plug that has two romex cables.

The bedroom TV plug has two romex cables.

The plug in the pass-thru storage for the vacuum has two romex cables.

The plug in the bedroom on the front of the pass-thru storage has two romex cables.

The plug on the bedroom wall above the nightstand has two romex cables. One is hot and I think the other feeds the plug under the living room window that quit working. I don't know where else it could go. I pulled all the wires from this plug and wire-nutted each together and still nothing.

The GFI breaker shuts off:
The GFI plug on the side of the kitchen cabinet next to the recliners.
The plug on the outside of the trailer.
The two plugs in the bottom of the overhead kitchen cabinets.
The plug in the bathroom.

Any help is appreciated, Larry
Old 03-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #4

Missouri
Larry, I was unable to make it out today, I will be at my camper this week, getting ready for my maiden voyage. So I will let you know as soon as a can. It sounds like you have definitely gone through it..

Sorry for the delay..

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 AM   #5

Missouri
Larry, sorry for the delay. I just came back from my trailer and it looks like things are a little different.

I don't have a receptacle under the windows in the living room, both the side with the recliners and the side with the couch don't have one. I am not sure which side you having problems with. I have two receptacles in the cabinet under the counter on the recliner side, both are GFCI's. All the kitchen, exterior and the bathroom are GFCI,s as well. The rest appear to be on the general circuit.

It appears that the basic wiring set up is the same.

Where is you electrical box? Mine is in the entertainment center above the TV. I noticed that a lot of them are under the stove. I am asking because it sound like the wire for your circuit runs around the couch side to the bedroom then to the bad receptacle, which would make since if it started in the kitchen.

You mentioned that you put wire nuts and bypassed the assumed last receptacle in the bedroom. Did you do that with both the power side and the neutral? It could be a bad connection on the neutral, so you should do both sets.

If it were me, without tearing up to much in the trailer, I would do that with each receptacle until the problem is found or you don't have any more connections to check. If all of the receptacles are removed and spliced through, and still no power, then it most likely be a bad wire.

Do you have a multi meter? I have another tip. You need to be able to read OHMS, and you wont need shore power.

I hope this helps.

Eric

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #6

Oregon
Hi Eric..

Your 2014 is different than our 2012.

I plugged a working grounded extension cord into the living room plug under the window that's not working. Then took the female end of the extension cord to the bedroom along with my multi meter. I left the romex that is HOT connected to the bedroom plug and took the other romex (disconnected from the bedroom plug) that I thought went to the dead living room plug and checked the black wire for continuity... nothing. I then checked the white wire... bingo continuity.
Now what I'm not sure about is how this romex is routed to the living room plug. It goes down the front trailer wall from the bedroom plug. In the pass-thru storage below, there is a wall between the storage area and the front of the trailer, so you can't see the wires until they pass above the wall. There is a black flexible conduit that goes to the light in the storage area (12 volt) and a larger blue flexible conduit that passes above the door and heads downward thru the back wall of the storage area.
My guess is that the blue conduit is routed between the bottom floor of the trailer and the bottom insulation, then thru the floor in the living room to the plug.

Thank you for the help, Larry

P.S. Dutchmen has not been very helpful, but I called them again today. The rep claimed that they didn't have schematics of how the trailer is wired. I've asked this before and got the same answer. He hinted that Engineering didn't release them to the public... FRUSTRATING. I asked if there was a rep knowledgeable of electrical and was told he was not there. I'll call back.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #7

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
The rep claimed that they didn't have schematics of how the trailer is wired.
I am guessing that there is no wiring diagram. I think they just build them as the go, with whatever material they have.

Your idea to check out the wiring was a good one. Good luck on the repair!

Besides this problem, has you trailer performed well? We finally are taking ours out this weekend on its maiden voyage to a campsite nearby just to check everything out and get acquainted with the new trailer.

We looked at 100's of trailers, and the Denali really stood out with all of the features and the price. And the openness of the Rear Kitchen made the deal.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #8

Oregon
Like the TT very much. Only other issue was rear axle brakes not being hooked up. Selling dealer remedied that. Rear kitchen and living room with recliners and larger TV is great.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Ohio
We have a 2014 Denali 289RK, just got it 2/28. We did a search only found two in Ohio. We have a plug over the window and it works so far. Dealer is a jerk. Question: Where is the water pump?
Nugget7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Oregon
Not sure, but I think I've seen another thread for a 2012 289RK that said it was under the bathroom sink behind a panel.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Missouri
My water pump is under the counter next to the stove. You have to pull out the drawer and it is right there on the left. This also give you access to the water heater by pass valves.

My power panel is above the TV in the entertainment cabinets, if yours is under the stove, there most likely is a access cover under the sink for the access to the pump and water heater.

As I am finding out, I don't think any two of these trailers are the same, but I did see mine is this location.

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #12

Nova Scotia
Check your gfi plugs (not the breaker). They often piggyback downstream outlets with gfi plugs near wet areas like bath and kitchen. I had a failed gfi outlet, reset was in normal position but 3 outlets inside trailer were off. I replaced with new gfi outlet and prob solved. Also invest on a small polarity tester, gfi outlets are sensitive to neutral and if incorrectly wired will act as though they are tripped.
2dogsandanrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Arizona
2014 Denali 289RK

Has anyone found a schematic for this TT? I can't figure out where the electical panel is and the manual has no real information.
Chet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #14

Florida
You can usually turn on all of your lights then listen for, the fan. That will tell you where the inverter is. The power panel will be close by. There are no drawings by the way.
franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #15

Arizona
Inverter location for 2014 289RK

Thanks for the information. Hard to believe a mfg. can have a product with wired outlets etc and not have a diagram to follow. Bsed on all I have read I'm beginning to understand the industry mentality.

Chet74 is offline   Reply With Quote