2004 aerolite A27BH no AC power - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #21

Nevada
Question are you connecter into shore power or running gen?
If shore power check with a meter the panel you plunged into. You might be missing a phase.
If you are on gen check breakers on the gen.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #22

New York
i charged single battery last night and put in this morning. i now have 12v power and all lites now work. i can also run the frig and air conditioner. it appears battery was dead and you need 12v power to appliances to operate even when hooked into house electric.

still have problem keeping battery charged then. i guess converter not recharging battery.

rsmith talks about two 40 amp fuses at converter. i don't see any large amp fuses except at main breakers for 110 power panel. only fuse i see on converter is a small old fashion glass fuse.

ngross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:43 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Like hddecker said, have an electronics repair shop check the converter. With a blown cap on the board you can bet it's not working. Hopefully the cap blew because the converter was overworked by a bad battery and not another component problem.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #24

Washington
That's great news! And good info for the rest of us. Converter fuses might be internal? You said you heard a "pop" when you plugged it in? Keep working on it, sounds like you almost have it figured out. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #25

California
Mine is a brand new trailer, so the converter maybe a little different. But check the fuse on the converter, mine was right up front. This will cause these problems. You can Google your trailer and see where the converter fuse(s) are.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #26

New York
thanks for all the help. looks like i will either bring to rv shop to check converter or may pull converter and bring to electronics repair shop
Old 06-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #27

Illinois
Sounds like you are getting it narrowed down. Hopefully the fix is a cheap one. Keep us updated.
sreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #28

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngross View Post
thanks for all the help. looks like i will either bring to rv shop to check converter or may pull converter and bring to electronics repair shop

Odds are the RV shop will send the converter out so save yourself some grief and money and take it to an electronics repair shop.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #29

Oklahoma
Not to rattle anyone's chain at all, but...... This is an example of "start with the simple stuff" that I try to teach my boys. It is good advise for all of us here, who like to or need to work on our own RV's, to work the problems that we have from the beginning.

That means-

For electrical problems, you must have some sort of multi-meter that measures volts and resistance. When you have a problem with electricity, start by making sure that you have adequate supply (110 volts AND 12 volts) at your shore plug and battery. If not, then the problem is not with your RV. If you have good power, next is making sure it is making it through the transfer switch to the actual breaker panel. If not, check you wiring and transfer switch, and your converter (for12volts). Remember, in MOST cases, your converter supplies 12 volts to your panel when you are plugged in. After that, you have to follow the path of the wiring to each system that you have. If you have multiple failures, then you have to back up to where they all hook together. Keep in mind that most hot water, and fridge units need both 110 and 12 volts. And as in this case, so does the A/C unit and heater.(12 volts for the thermostat in my 3905)

Water and sewer problems- this will be the same as electricity, except that you will most likely get wet trying to find the problem. Start at the supply and work your way to the outlet (faucet, shower, toilet, drain, and tank). Once you find out where the supply is interupted, you know where to look for the problem.

Remember that more than likely your problem is something simple, and maybe even inexpensive to fix. (Although not always). It also gives you a chance to learn about the inner workings of your RV, so that at some point in the future, you can help someone that needs your experience.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Odds are the RV shop will send the converter out so save yourself some grief and money and take it to an electronics repair shop.
No they will just try to sell you a new one at an inflated price.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Not to rattle anyone's chain at all, but...... This is an example of "start with the simple stuff" that I try to teach my boys. It is good advise for all of us here, who like to or need to work on our own RV's, to work the problems that we have from the beginning.

That means-

For electrical problems, you must have some sort of multi-meter that measures volts and resistance. When you have a problem with electricity, start by making sure that you have adequate supply (110 volts AND 12 volts) at your shore plug and battery. If not, then the problem is not with your RV. If you have good power, next is making sure it is making it through the transfer switch to the actual breaker panel. If not, check you wiring and transfer switch, and your converter (for12volts). Remember, in MOST cases, your converter supplies 12 volts to your panel when you are plugged in. After that, you have to follow the path of the wiring to each system that you have. If you have multiple failures, then you have to back up to where they all hook together. Keep in mind that most hot water, and fridge units need both 110 and 12 volts. And as in this case, so does the A/C unit and heater.(12 volts for the thermostat in my 3905)

Water and sewer problems- this will be the same as electricity, except that you will most likely get wet trying to find the problem. Start at the supply and work your way to the outlet (faucet, shower, toilet, drain, and tank). Once you find out where the supply is interupted, you know where to look for the problem.

Remember that more than likely your problem is something simple, and maybe even inexpensive to fix. (Although not always). It also gives you a chance to learn about the inner workings of your RV, so that at some point in the future, you can help someone that needs your experience.
It's like reading a book, don't jump to the last chapter, because you'll know who dunit, but not know they dunit.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #32

New York
how very true macman83. i am learning a lot about my camper with this experience . will update once i figure out the CS6000xl converter situation.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM   #33

Oklahoma
I'm glad that you got the problem tracked down. I just hope your converter can be repaired inexpensively. I personally enjoy taking apart my stuff to find out how it works, and get lots of satisfaction from mods and making things right. I hope you are back to camping soon.