1995 Dutchman - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Electrical, Batteries, Charging and Electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Iowa
1995 Dutchman

Hello, I'm new to both this site and camping, but just bought a 1995 27' gooseneck Dutchman! The bride and I are very excited to have it! One of the many problems I'm sure I will have due to being more or less ignorant with travel trailers is last night I went to put the slide in because a storm was due to arrive later. I was under the assumption that the battery would trickle charge whenever the camper was plugged in to 110v. Much to my dismay, I hit the in switch and she made a small attempt to bring in the slide and gave up. Tried the power dollies to make sure the hydraulic pump wasn't shot, same story. 20 minutes of manually pumping the hydraulic pump with a 1/2" bolt has forced me to seek help from your fine community

chandbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

Quebec
Welcome to the world of RVing .... you'll enjoy it, I'm sure!
Your battery should have charged when you were plugged in to 110v, but there could be a problem with either the battery or the charging circuit. Could you have plugged in to 110v again to retract your slide? Usually, even if there is a battery problem, the 12-volt system should operate from the converter if you are plugged in. Do you have a cut-off switch for the 12-volt system? If so, be aware that it must be in the 'on' position to
charge the battery.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #3

Iowa
Thanks for your reply! I was still plugged in when I was trying to run the slide in, so I guess I will go on a hunt for a switch when I get home!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Quebec
If you have a cut-off switch, it should be very close to the battery and the positive cable from the battery will go through the switch. The switch itself is usually rotary. Good luck.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Iowa
Thanks for your help!