Replacing stock head unit in RV - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

Washington
Replacing stock head unit in RV

Anyone upgrade their trailers media center? We have a 2013 Denali 262rlx, and it has a Jenson (I think) entertainment system, that plays DVD's, has dual zones (indoor and outdoor speakers) and hooks to the TV. Its honestly a piece of crap, and I was thinking it, would probably be pretty easy to go to Car Toys or something and buy a touchscreen or just cube style Blu-Ray/Stereo system with built in Bluetooth capabilities, which should fit in the same hole, and I'd guess sound a lot better since it will have more power.

Then eventually I will upgrade the speakers as well with something a little higher quality.

I'm sure someone has done this already. Any issues, thoughts, or things I should consider? Thanks!

West1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post
Anyone upgrade their trailers media center? We have a 2013 Denali 262rlx, and it has a Jenson (I think) entertainment system, that plays DVD's, has dual zones (indoor and outdoor speakers) and hooks to the TV. Its honestly a piece of crap, and I was thinking it, would probably be pretty easy to go to Car Toys or something and buy a touchscreen or just cube style Blu-Ray/Stereo system with built in Bluetooth capabilities, which should fit in the same hole, and I'd guess sound a lot better since it will have more power.

Then eventually I will upgrade the speakers as well with something a little higher quality.

I'm sure someone has done this already. Any issues, thoughts, or things I should consider? Thanks!
I'm kind of disappointed that the Jensen system is not working out for you. I was considering replacing the Touch Audio system with a Jensen. What model do you have?

Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

Tennessee
Mine's a Furrion, and it's a giant piece of poop. Although i'm kind of an audio snob...
The bluetooth doesn't work half the time, the remote is a joke, and it has an annoying blue light on all of the time.
It should be super easy to switch it out, IF you can find something the same size. Otherwise you'll need to trim out the opening somehow. The speakers are actually decent.
Also, most of the 7" touch screen car units either come with a camera or support one, so you could have a makeshift security cam.
Unless you go the amp route, most decent low powered speakers are gonna sound similar, my outdoor speakers are plenty loud for a campground.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
I'm kind of disappointed that the Jensen system is not working out for you. I was considering replacing the Touch Audio system with a Jensen. What model do you have?
I'm not sure what model it is, and it technically works, but is lacking features, and just feels clunky as far as its operation.

I was just thinking I could find a decent car stereo version that would work better, and I really want something to play blu-rays on since I only buy Blu Rays when I purchase new movies, and I don't always buy the combo packs that include the DVD.

As for the speakers, yes, the outdoor ones are plenty loud, especially for a campground, but I'm hoping if I put a nicer set of speakers inside with a little more power going to them, I can hopefully get a little fuller sound with a bit more bass, and overall crisper sound.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
I'm not sure what model it is, and it technically works, but is lacking features, and just feels clunky as far as its operation.
Sounds just like the system I'm hoping to replace.
I'll follow this thread to see what others recommend.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #6

Missouri
I did a search a few months ago, looking for a replacement that had bluray as well as HDMI in and out. I came up empty handed!

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
I did a search a few months ago, looking for a replacement that had bluray as well as HDMI in and out. I came up empty handed!
I doubt we will ever see bluray in a head unit. Sony has a video on youtube from 2011 showing a prototype for it, but they never released it. With all the digital forms of entertainment out now, I think DVD's days are numbered. Of course you can still get a head unit that plays standard DVD's, but most i've seen are component hookups. Heck, my new Alpine unit in my truck doesn't even have a cd player in it.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
I doubt we will ever see bluray in a head unit. Sony has a video on youtube from 2011 showing a prototype for it, but they never released it. With all the digital forms of entertainment out now, I think DVD's days are numbered. Of course you can still get a head unit that plays standard DVD's, but most i've seen are component hookups. Heck, my new Alpine unit in my truck doesn't even have a cd player in it.
Yeah, I'd agree the disc days are nearing an end, which is fine by me. But it is a little surprising the BluRays playing capabilities aren't available right now. Oh well, I'll just keep bringing my PS3 with me. We really don't use our RV to go watch TV/Movies anyways, its just there if we get rained out and have to spend a chunk of time in the trailer during our vacation.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Yeah, I'd agree the disc days are nearing an end, which is fine by me. But it is a little surprising the BluRays playing capabilities aren't available right now. Oh well, I'll just keep bringing my PS3 with me. We really don't use our RV to go watch TV/Movies anyways, its just there if we get rained out and have to spend a chunk of time in the trailer during our vacation.
There's this option If you could find a double din bracket that did two single head openings, then put the head unit of your choice in the other opening.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
There's this option If you could find a double din bracket that did two single head openings, then put the head unit of your choice in the other opening.

Not a bad idea. But I think it would cost too much for what I want to do. My existing unit, while not ideal, does work. So I think I'll just keep bringing my PS3 along, so I can play some video games too if I wanted. Thanks for the link!