Need to SPOUT OFF.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #1

Florida
Need to SPOUT OFF....

,,,,our TT's two front gutter spouts are off! Missing, broken off, maybe we bought 'GWBushhog' that way...who knows? But what we do know now is that a shortened 'lip' remains on each corner to direct water away from TT.

Okay, we admit it..,we are new to RVing and don't know much, but did we actually knock off the two front gutter drainage spouts without knowing it? Has anyone ever done this?

The seal around each spout fixture appears in-tact where it affixes to the roof's gutter. No leaks discerned and we have had some intense rains.

Does anyone know if these small parts are sold separately, or would a purchase of the whole gutter system be required? Surely not!

Anyone know 'bout this? We sure don't mind if you spout off! Boy, do we feel dumb....

GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBushhog View Post
,,,,our TT's two front gutter spouts are off! Missing, broken off, maybe we bought 'GWBushhog' that way...who knows? But what we do know now is that a shortened 'lip' remains on each corner to direct water away from TT.

Okay, we admit it..,we are new to RVing and don't know much, but did we actually knock off the two front gutter drainage spouts without knowing it? Has anyone ever done this?

The seal around each spout fixture appears in-tact where it affixes to the roof's gutter. No leaks discerned and we have had some intense rains.

Does anyone know if these small parts are sold separately, or would a purchase of the whole gutter system be required? Surely not!

Anyone know 'bout this? We sure don't mind if you spout off! Boy, do we feel dumb....
Yup, been there dun that. Them tree branches get you every time. Have lost the drain spouts (hi tech replacement: "clothes pin") Have also lost stink pipe vents, stinky slinky caps, etc. good luck and yes any good RV dealer or even camp stores will have the " common" stuff we loose. Happy trails to you, and may you always have a warm breeze on your back.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Don't beat yourself up, it happened and has happened to most of us that move the unit out of its parking spot.

A gutter spout you say? How about a 42 foot rip in the rubber roof, the refrigerator vent cap, skylight cover and a vent cap or two.

That's what I did when I found a low Mesquite tree in Arizona, the only tree on the street that happened to be hanging over the sidewalk.

I have a vent pipe cover sitting on the table waiting for me to get up there and put it on. I won't take the blame for the this one being gone, I think the wind took it.

On your next stop at the CW pick up a bag full of goodies. Window cranks, vent caps, screws, bulbs, lenses and anything else you think you might need. You may never need them but you will have them, just in case.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Try Walmart.com Camco Gutter Extensions, 4 Pack: Automotive : Walmart.com. I've seen them in the RV section of our Walmart store. Last Saturday we were camping in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada and heard a loud crash. A guy backing in a big 5er took out the arm and globe on the street light. The next day we walked around the campground and there were many posts missing the same parts. You need lots of eyes when backing in.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:

Don't feel bad about the cheap stuff. I had an argument with a low hanging branch and before I saw it in the mirror, I had a lovely slice down the awning. About 10 of the 21'.

It's a good thing that they make super duty duck tape in white. Might be as good as good as the bearbond that they use in NASCAR.

In a way I glad it happened because it don't like the awning and now I have an excuse to change it out.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:23 AM   #6
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
Yep did the same thing. The neighbors tree brach got me. It is just a matter of time till one thing like this happens.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #7

Florida
Thank you each for 'spouting off' BUT.....

....BUT OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I shouldn't be laughing, but cannot help it when reading your posts!

Thank you each for 'spouting off', it has done us good to laugh a little...WITH YOU, not at you. We don't feel quite so bad now.....BUT OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new humorous category on this forum is needed for our RV horror stories. It would be good for 'venting', 'spouting off', sharing when we 'get ripped off', or when we're 'back on the road again', and sharing the best excuse of all: 'Honey, I couldn't see that tree for the forest!' You all get the drift, right?

We could call it .....

are you ready..........................................oka y.....here goes...

......."Tales from the Duct Side"!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #8

Florida
Sundancer 87, you get the prize for the BEST LAUGH....THANK YOU, WE SURE NEEDED THAT!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #9

Florida
Great 'tale from the duct side'!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #10

Florida
Thank you kayakcrazy for this good lead.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
....BUT OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!! I shouldn't be laughing, but cannot help it when reading your posts!

Thank you each for 'spouting off', it has done us good to laugh a little...WITH YOU, not at you. We don't feel quite so bad now.....BUT OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new humorous category on this forum is needed for our RV horror stories. It would be good for 'venting', 'spouting off', sharing when we 'get ripped off', or when we're 'back on the road again', and sharing the best excuse of all: 'Honey, I couldn't see that tree for the forest!' You all get the drift, right?

We could call it .....

are you ready..........................................oka y.....here goes...

......."Tales from the Duct Side"!
Don't worry about laughing at me, if I not being laughed at I'm not going my best.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Louisiana
I broke 2 of my gutter spouts off just by washing the RV. They apparently get really brittle in the sun and a slight touch by the brush and they crumble.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #13

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
I broke 2 of my gutter spouts off just by washing the RV. They apparently get really brittle in the sun and a slight touch by the brush and they crumble.
X2...darn things get in the way of the wash brush. You'll find most exterior plastics get brittle over time. I replaced my gutters on the previous rig with the longer extension type - help reduce the size of the black streaks.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Sundancer 87, you get the prize for the BEST LAUGH....THANK YOU, WE SURE NEEDED THAT!
That little incident happened at 4pm and I was leaving the next morning for Mexico.

It didn't look bad from the ground but up on top it was time to adapt and overcome.

A quick assessment of damages and I grabbed my best girl friend and headed for the RV repair shop. She's pretty mechanical and follows instructions really well and is a hard worker. Anyway, we get back from the RV store about an hour later with a roll of rubber tape, a few tubes of self leveling caulking and daylight quickly waning.

Up on the roof, removed the gutter the full length, alcohol cleaned the 42 foot rip, studied the tape instructions, cut the roll of tape in half (didn't need all six inches of width but did need the length), and planned the attack.

She being a firefighter/parametic and me being a retired firefighter we always like to set up our strategy and tactics when it comes to overcoming.

Still getting dark and I'm still wanting to pull the rig to Mexico in the morning. Repairs are made and happiness abounds all around with even putting the last gutter screws in under the beam of a spot light.

Long story short, the RV store didn't have all the parts but I have over the months been able to replace the needed parts from various RV stores, repaired the fiber glass damage and survived a 65 MPH rain storm in MO and the remnants of the hurricane in OK a few months back.

When I returned from Mexico we drank the rest of the alcohol, albeit, a different flavor.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoemc View Post
X2...darn things get in the way of the wash brush. You'll find most exterior plastics get brittle over time. I replaced my gutters on the previous rig with the longer extension type - help reduce the size of the black streaks.
It seems as if the manufacturer didn't consider where that drain water would fall when it exited the gutter. Mine fell directly on top of the work light. That big ole hollow work light that sits on the outside of the bedroom.

The water dropping on the hollow light echoed into the bedroom worse than any faucet drip so I used a longer length of vinyl siding channel as a gutter and now the water drops straight to the ground. No noise and no more black streaks!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoemc View Post
The gutter extentios are relatively cheap, but the expensive stuff like the trim on the door windows and light fixtures can be protected with a coat of plastic paint.

The up side of doing this is two fold longer life and the parts don't discolor.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #17

North Carolina
Well we haven't done something that broke something but on our first TT old 97 nomad, the steps were hard to pull out so we lubed them with WD40, next trip out I look in the side view mirror and low and behold they had started to creep out and we had to stop and find something to tie it to the frame. We laughed all the way to the beach. So we try not to uses WD40 on things unless we have too.
Volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 AM   #18

Florida
Heehee What would we do without WD40 and duct tape?