Keys - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #1

Florida
Smile Keys

Has anyone ever had duplicate keys made? Where?
My dealer couldnt find all the keys to the compartments during my PDI so they made the tech give me his master key against his protests. I want to get a second copy made but I dont know where to go that would have that kind of key in stock. My local CW doesnt make keys.
I really like the fact this master opens everything (except door dead bolts) instead of trying to lug a key ring full and try each key in each lock.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #2

Oregon
I went to my local locksmith

uscsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Has anyone ever had duplicate keys made? Where?
My dealer couldnt find all the keys to the compartments during my PDI so they made the tech give me his master key against his protests. I want to get a second copy made but I dont know where to go that would have that kind of key in stock. My local CW doesnt make keys.
I really like the fact this master opens everything (except door dead bolts) instead of trying to lug a key ring full and try each key in each lock.
Lowe's doesn't have the blanks but a local key shop should have them or be able to order the blank.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:17 AM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
What trailer do you have. Toy Hauler or ?????. I doubt the mater opens everything but who am I to dispute what you said?

Get a locksmith and they will fix you right up. I have a toy hauler that had 7 keys to for all the locks. Now I am down to 3 keys. It was well worth the dollars spent.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:53 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Find an old fashioned locksmith... Lowe's and their ilk are a curse that needs to be purged. I have had my locksmith make keys for many a lock that are supposedly obsolete and needed to be "replaced"... NOT!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #6

Arizona
If your key is the CH751, then you can get them on Ebay, Amazon, etc. Camping World sells some door entry key blanks online and you can get them cut at Home Depot or Lowes. Also, check out Home
They are the manufacturer of some of the entry locks and sell replacement keys.

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
What trailer do you have. Toy Hauler or ?????. I doubt the mater opens everything but who am I to dispute what you said?.
I am not sure why what type of trailer it is would matter in reguards to keys, but my 3950 is a 5'er toyhauler.
In my original post I said key worked everything except the dead bolts on the doors, and since the dead bolts are keyed different from each other that leaves me down to 3 keys also needed. I have never locked the patio so I dont know if the master key works it or not, I might need to carry keys for that also if I every lock it. Either way that is a lot less keys to carry than the 14 keys (7 keys x 2 sets) of none working keys the dealer gave me.

Everyone stay safe on the roads this Memorial Day weekend!
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I am not sure why what type of trailer it is would matter in reguards to keys, but my 3950 is a 5'er toyhauler.
In my original post I said key worked everything except the dead bolts on the doors, and since the dead bolts are keyed different from each other that leaves me down to 3 keys also needed. I have never locked the patio so I dont know if the master key works it or not, I might need to carry keys for that also if I every lock it. Either way that is a lot less keys to carry than the 14 keys (7 keys x 2 sets) of none working keys the dealer gave me.

A good locksmith can re-key the locks on the doors so the deadbolts are all the same, and depending on the lock type, might be able to get you down to one key for all the locks that use the same key blank if you want.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #9

Michigan
Here is some information on the topic:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...same-2026.html
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #10

Michigan
First of all, yes there is a master key that all dealers have that will open every door latch. But it doesn't work the dead bolts. Secondly, you will be hard pressed to find a locksmith that can re-key all your locks the same. They may be able to re-key some locks, not all, it depends. Most locksmiths that I talked to, won't re-key any of them, they are not interested (they could if you make it worth their while, but it would be cheaper for you to buy all new locks keyed the same). Sure some can make a key from a key you already have, but that won't help with your dead bolt no-key situation.
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Just a side note about keys. Friend showed me that the compartment keys for most trailers are all the same. That "Ch751" key opens his trailer, my trailer, and the neighbors' trailer. That meant that anyone could get to my hoses, fuel tank hose, and generator compartment on my Voltage. With my key, I could open his big storage compartment, and get inside HIS trailer.

I got with a locksmith and he got me some locks that were a direct replacement, but had different keys, and the 751 key didn't work in them.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:

Read your reply and you will see what difference it makes. You say you never tried your patio door. There you go. That's why i asked.

Also your master key won't fit your 751 lock or your storage compartmnets or TV compartment (unless you have a magic master key) so It doesn't fit everything. Sheesh. I have been wrong before and could be again on this subject. If so let me know.

I have 3 keys. One is a 751 the other is for the TV and Storage Compartment. The last key opens both top and bottom locks on the doors and the ramp (patio) door.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #13

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Just a side note about keys. Friend showed me that the compartment keys for most trailers are all the same. That "Ch751" key opens his trailer, my trailer, and the neighbors' trailer. That meant that anyone could get to my hoses, fuel tank hose, and generator compartment on my Voltage. With my key, I could open his big storage compartment, and get inside HIS trailer.

I got with a locksmith and he got me some locks that were a direct replacement, but had different keys, and the 751 key didn't work in them.
That's great information!

Scary to think almost EVERYONE has the same CH751 basement storage key. I'm going to replace our lock cylinder RIGHT AWAY.

Ken
High-Energy JRT (Jack Russell Terrier)
kalm_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #14

Colorado
Here's where I got a replacement door lock after Mama snapped key off in one. I purchased the matching lock, but had it keyed to match the other entry door.

You can also purchase keys for, I think, all the locks on a Voltage. That's how I made up a spare key set.

Here's the website: Products

Looking at my keys...the compartment key is a 2001...whew!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote