KAYAK YAK...ditch'n the rock'n chair! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Florida
KAYAK YAK...ditch'n the rock'n chair!

We're ditching the front porch rock'n chairs for kayaks this weekend when we let 'GW" out for some RV time, (This will be our second time RV'n, again on Florida's east coast.)

Any experienced kayakers out there? Got any helpful, kayak 'survival' tips? Anyone know about Hobie Cat peddlin' kayaks?

Appreciate all YAK'n about KAYAK'n!

GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Saskatchewan
I've never tried a kayak with the pedals although I have seen them out on the water. DW and I bought Swift kayaks a few years ago (before I got sick) and we absolutely love them. They are light - my 13'6" only weighs 24 lbs. The cockpit is huge as there's room for me and one of the grandkids or hold my stripped line when fly fishing . My health is coming back again so maybe next year we will be back on the water when camped out at the lake. Do your homework before spending the cash and if you want my opinion drop me a PM.

2013 Timber Ridge, 2013 GMC Sierra 6.2 L
kayakcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #3

Florida
Thank you kindly, Kayakcrazy, for your feedback!

Listen, do you care to share a little about your health situation? We're new to this forum and perhaps you have already shared, but if you and all forum members wouldn't mind, we would like to pray for you. If you prefer privacy, that's perfectly understandable, we can still lift you up in prayer to our God who knows all about it.

We are pleased to read a couple of your posts where you reference improved health status of late. You have a sweet spirit, and we just want you to know that we are not only pulling an RV, WE'RE PULLING FOR YOU!
Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

Saskatchewan
Thank you GWBushog for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. My health story is probably not as bad as others but it sure has stopped this camper in his tracks. Here's an abbreviated timeline: diagnosed with diabetes in the fall of 2003; started walking and dieting and lost 60 pounds in four months and a total of 82 pounds when all was done (289-207 lbs.); completed three walking marathons from 2005 to 2007 (I was walking at least 4 miles a day 6 days a week); over active thyroid removed in April 2007 with radioactive iodine; Shingles in late fall of 2007 followed by Bells Palsy in January 2008 - gaining back more than 45 lbs. After thyroid was removed in 2007 I never did well on the replacement drugs. Pill dosage was changed in early 2011 and many errors were made. We have only three endocrinologists here in Regina and have an 18 month waiting list to see one so all changes were made by a GP. A new doctor came into my life in January 2013 with fresh ideas right out of college. He tried a few things before suggesting that I visit the Mayo clinic in Rochester Mn. In early August DW was getting upset with the slowness in getting me to the Mayo decided to take matters into her own hands and made me an appointment a month ago (Got to Love this woman!). Tests were also done on my heart as I was rushed four times last year to emergency with heart attack symptoms caused from the over and under medicated thyroid. Was happy with the outcome at the Mayo as they say that I have the heart of a twenty year old (no plaque or damage) and that my thyroid issues were caused by poor medical care here in Regina. Today I'm on new pills (which will take time to regulate) and have started walking again. You in the USA are very fortunate to have the excellent care of the Mayo.
My sickness has helped me into a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father and as DW and I leave this period of our lives we look forward to our retirement years. We are gearing up to live part time in our RV doing missions in Canada, the USA and Mexico. I hope to get my kayak wet next summer and hope to do one more full marathon (we did our first with Team Diabetes Canada and will pick a new cause next time - likely Joints in Motion or one of the Cancer groups).
Thanking you all in advance for your thoughts and prayers. Looking forward to sharing a campfire with you and helping wherever I can here on the Forum. Happy trails everyone.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #5

New York
Leon, we (Leo and myself) which you continued forward recovery! Thanks for sharing with us. I also wondered about your "health issues".

As we all grow older we do find that the golden years have a lot of tarnish on them as well.

Stay healthy!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
Nana and Poppy - Thanks for your thoughts. Hopefully I've turned the corner on this problem and better days are ahead.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:01 AM   #7

Florida
KayakCrazy (or crazy to kayak!)

We're just returning from our second RV weekend and first attempt at kayaking. "Despise not small beginnings" the Good Book says, and so we will say that we did launch our first kayak effort (remaining the whole time in the 'kiddie pool' section ). Spouse says, 'gotta be crazy'; I say, 'let's give it time'. But we did it!

What a blessed weekend, especially last night where the moon shone brightly as the wind blew gently over the open water, our hearts warmed by the campfire glow, and the awe-inspiring reminder of what our good and loving God has done for us... JUST FOR US... creating heaven and earth for our enjoyment while entrusting to us the care of such splendor and grandeur. It fully overwhelms the mind and heart when one 'unplugs' long enough for quiet consideration of just what God has done. Genesis 1:1.

Kayakcrazy, we did think of you gazing at the campfire last evening with a moment to pray, yes for your health concerns and also for a day where we may share a warm campfire and even warmer fellowship, Lord willing and in His Name.

'Til then, keep kayaking, yakking and trusting Him!

P.S. You mentioned healthcare in Regina and in the U.S. expressing how good it was here at our Mayo Clinic. You found good healthcare (and for now, it is!), BUT WAIT UNTIL IT'S 'FREE'! PRAYER NEEDED!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #8

Texas
GW, I have done a little kayaking. Disclaimer: I do not own one (but if I did....it would hands down be a Hobie Mirage).
I have used both the classic model (paddling only) and the Hobie Mirage pedal models.
If you are looking for an upper body workout stay away from the Hobie. If you are looking to cover some water and maybe fish/troll while being relaxed then spend the money and go with the Mirage system--it flat out kicks ....
Your legs will get a workout but they will not complain near as much as your arms, shoulders and chest will with a conventional kayak. I tried one and felt like I was cheating as I blew by the traditional kayakers. They are easy to maneuver and would work great unless you are paddling in really shallow waters.
Have fun no matter what kayak you end up with!
Mike
Life is to short to stay in the harbor and wonder whats around the turn!!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 AM   #9

Florida
Thanks, Texmac!

Thanks for yak'n about kayak'n. We definitely like the Hobies, saw a real sweet 'mirage' this weekend. But cost is hard to justify right now.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #10

Texas
...."But the cost is hard to justify right now.".
I completely understand and that is why there is not one in my garage, but oh are they fun!!
Happy Trails (or paddling)!!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #11

British Columbia
Jey, Kayak...

I feel your pain.

Just had supper in a restaurant in NS. They are stanch Terry Fox supporters and that gave me a shot of reallity, that I really needed.

All of my problems are so insignificant.

Thank you for sharing.

All the beat.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote