It's The Government Again... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
It's The Government Again...

It's the government and we're here to help.... not...

HUD’s Proposed RV Rule Causes an Uproar as RV Sales Hit 39-Year High

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #2

British Columbia
That could be good news for anyone wanting to down size to a park model, at least in my province. The current regulations prohibit year round living in a park model, if memory serves me, the regulation only allows 7 months per year.

My wife and I were looking at selling the house and live in a park model and do the snowbird thing, but that 7 month thing stopped us. I just figured that this was the one instance were my usual, "if they catch me they can give me the citation", would be just a little bit too risky.

It begs the question, do the RV manufacturers that build park models use the same assembly methods?

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
It sounds like bad news for full timers.

Quotes from the article;

"The proposed rule "takes HUD away from the regulation of housing and into the regulation of vehicles outside of HUD's authority....the unintended, but potentially substantial, damaging effect of HUD's language is a crippling limitation on the use of RVs," the letter added."

"HUD's proposal “threatens ‘full-time RVers’ and further stymies those seeking to build their tiny house as a street legal home,”

I understand why the RV industry is in favor since it will relieve them of any residential building standards (tiny house industry), but will make it illegal to live in a tiny house year round at the same time. I'm always apprehensive about the government regulating anything the general population does or enjoys. There are always residual consequences that we wont like.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Arizona
With all of the homeless people in the US, why would anyone care what the rest of us live in? I really hate our government.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
It sounds like bad news for full timers.

Quotes from the article;

"The proposed rule "takes HUD away from the regulation of housing and into the regulation of vehicles outside of HUD's authority....the unintended, but potentially substantial, damaging effect of HUD's language is a crippling limitation on the use of RVs," the letter added."

"HUD's proposal “threatens ‘full-time RVers’ and further stymies those seeking to build their tiny house as a street legal home,”

I understand why the RV industry is in favor since it will relieve them of any residential building standards (tiny house industry), but will make it illegal to live in a tiny house year round at the same time. I'm always apprehensive about the government regulating anything the general population does or enjoys. There are always residual consequences that we wont like.
I misread part of the article, after I got hung up on the park model thing. My wife needs to have some place to call home and a park model is the perfect answer. She can have her home base and still satisfy my wanderlust, when we snowbird.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote