Homeowners Association wants to tow my travel trailer - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #1

Tennessee
Homeowners Association wants to tow my travel trailer

Anyone have problems with your homeowner's association wanting to tow your travel trailer? I have a Dutchmen Eco, 18 foot travel trailer that fits inside my driveway and they say that RV's are restricted in our subdivision. I've had this for 5 years and this is the first time I got an anonymous index card saying that they will tow it if not removed. I see trailers of different kinds on other peoples driveway as well as boats and they seem to have no problems with that. Any info or enlightenment is appreciated. Thanks to all of you.

Marwyn
2010 Dutchmen Eco, 18 feet

MemphisEco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

California
Need to check with your Homeowners Association for that answer.
Sure glad I have 5 acres to park mine on.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #3

South Carolina
According to Good Sam, it is a serious, and growing issue. Starting with Home Owner's Assoc's, and sometimes the communities also. Go to this link, and click to download their short manual on the subject. Get a copy of the HOA bylaws, and consult a lawyer. Good Sam Club
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

Tennessee
Thanks MartyG and DesertRat for your quick response. It may be a hassle but I think I would like to fight this one. Wish me luck!!!!

Marwyn
2010 Dutchmen Eco
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Long Bed
Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 AM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisEco18 View Post
Thanks MartyG and DesertRat for your quick response. It may be a hassle but I think I would like to fight this one. Wish me luck!!!!

Marwyn

2010 Dutchmen Eco

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Long Bed

Good for you, put up a good fight.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #6

Arizona
If I was going to fight this, invest in a trailer dolly and turn it around in your driveway. Maybe also park a car to block it in. Anything that will make it difficult if near impossible to tow. Also a good hitch lock. Good luck in your fight. HOA's suck

The Epic RV Adventures of the Karlin Family
www.campfireshenanigans.com
skarlin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #7

Nevada
Most of the time, HOA want a Trailer, Boat, etc. behind a fence, so if there is a way, that's one way to stop them, but like everyone stated above, You have to check the By-laws first
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisEco18 View Post
I've had this for 5 years and this is the first time I got an anonymous index card saying that they will tow it if not removed.

Marwyn
Anytime my friend gets any correspondace from his HOA it is on letterhead and via registered mail, not an anonymous index card. I think one of your neighbors is jealous you have a camper.
My first step would be verify it was from HOA
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #9

Tennessee
Index card! Thats laughable... not very official. Furthermore, if you've had it for 5 years and nothing till now I tend to agree with Thom, its probably annoying to a neighbor... to bad. You would be grandfathered in I would think if you already had it and they changed the law.. fight them... I get so tired of people interfering in other peoples business... homeowners associations stink.. country for me... good luck.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #10

Tennessee
Thanks for all these support my fellow RV'ers. I have consulted my lawyer and he says the wording on the restrictions make it impossible to park an RV anywhere in my property. For the moment, whoever it is, is right. My lawyer thinks it might be a grumpy, jealous neighbor since it was not on official HOA letterheads and just left on the mailbox. My lawyer has advised me not to do anything for the moment. He says that they can not tow the trailer without filing a lawsuit first. I can actually report this person for improper use of the mail system and if they tow, trespassing. But, I am trying to start a drive to let people know that having an RV in a property does not diminish its value and I have read a court ruling that decided that removing RV's based on aesthetics is unconstitutional. I am hoping to gather enough support not only from RV'ers but from hobby/recreational people as well, including boats, ATV's, and even car enthusiasts. Hopefully, we can amend the covenants by giving them statistics that these things including RV's do not diminish property values and also do not pose safety or health hazards. Thanks again everyone.

Marwyn
2010 Dutchmen Eco