Cleaning exterior - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #1

California
Cleaning exterior

The front cap of my trailer has become very dull and hazy. It is only one year old. I have tried cleaner wax and a few other gentle products on it but no luck. I do not know if the haze is coming from the roof or from the sun/weather. Any advice on what to bring back the gloss on the fiberglass? I dont want to damage it by using the wrong product. Thanks.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbodeuce View Post
The front cap of my trailer has become very dull and hazy. It is only one year old. I have tried cleaner wax and a few other gentle products on it but no luck. I do not know if the haze is coming from the roof or from the sun/weather. Any advice on what to bring back the gloss on the fiberglass? I dont want to damage it by using the wrong product. Thanks.
Fiberglass is very sensitive to UV, you need to stay on top of it to keep the gloss.

You will want to use a product that will take off the haze, usually polishing compound will get you back to the gloss, but you have to be very careful that you don't go over board and cut through or burn the finish.

Once you have the haze (oxidation) removed now comes the protection, there are many out there, look for something that is specifically for Fiberglass gel coat protection, you will want to apply it several times a year, follow the manufacturers directions.

Fiberglass is a lot of work to stay on top of.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #3

California
Thanks for the advice. Should this be done by hand, or with a dual action buffer?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

Oklahoma
There are other threads here that describe the problem as a paint defect. You might check around and possibly get it repaired under warranty.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
There are other threads here that describe the problem as a paint defect. You might check around and possibly get it repaired under warranty.
Yes, it could be defective if it is painted.

I read the OP as being unpainted fiberglass.

A buffer can be used, but as I said be careful, just don't over do it.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #6

California
I was told by salesman that it was fiberglass gel coat. Guess I need to confirm that somehow.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbodeuce View Post
I was told by salesman that it was fiberglass gel coat. Guess I need to confirm that somehow.
Take a look around this web site, it has lots of good information on restoring fiberglass finish.

Fiberglass FAQ: Cleaning, Polishing, Restoring Gelcoat - MarineStore.com

If your nosecone has become oxidized in a year, it's a pretty good bet that you are dealing with fiberglass and not paint. It usually takes several years for unprotected paint to oxidize to the point where the finish becomes dull and hazy.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Take a look around this web site, it has lots of good information on restoring fiberglass finish.

Fiberglass FAQ: Cleaning, Polishing, Restoring Gelcoat - MarineStore.com

If your nosecone has become oxidized in a year, it's a pretty good bet that you are dealing with fiberglass and not paint. It usually takes several years for unprotected paint to oxidize to the point where the finish becomes dull and hazy.
Thanks for the link. I went to the owners manual, and it is fiberglass. At least now I know what products I should and should NOT use on it. Your help is very much appreciated.