Camping World - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #1

Florida
Camping World

I just came from Camping World where I was going to purchase some of the CAMCO 429123 Retractable shades since they sent me an email telling me they were on sale for $7.42 each (reg 11.99 club price). When I got there, the cashier told me that they would honor that price BUT, I had to pay shipping unless the order I was purchasing was over #100.00 which is their min for free shipping (mind you, I had them in my hand). In other words, they will NOT honor pricing from their web site. I asked if he was joking and he said no. ...

Has anyone ever encountered this with them?

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #2

Tennessee
I would have air "shipped" them across the store on my way out.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #3

Tennessee
Never had that problem. The Myrtle Beach store price matched a folding bike for us and it was $100.00 off.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #4

South Carolina
Website prices are not the same as store prices. Each store is captive to what they bought it for, and tries to make a reasonable profit. When the distribution center sees something is not moving, or will soon be outdated, they make a decision to reduce their loss, and cut a price below wholesale. That puts the squeeze on store owners. I used to work at Lowes. It's not all "One Camping World." The store is put at a disadvantage in these situations, and it sounds like it tried to adapt. They were willing to sell it to you at what you would have ended up paying, including shipping. You would not have gotten free shipping on line unless you crossed over $100. Seems fair to me.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:04 AM   #5

Wyoming
Yes, definitely seen it before... and I get it.

Ordering online does not require marketing, retail storage space (a building, shelving, electricity for lighting & climate control, etc), salespeople, and so on. That stuff all costs money, and is added to the "retail" cost of an item you buy in a store.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Camping World does what it wants to. I have gotten flyers from them, went to the store with the flyer in hand and they would not sell it to me at the price in their flyer. There was nothing in the flyer about having to purchase online. There is a huge disconnect with that entire organization. I have gotten good deals from their stores by shopping the discontinued items section. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.

Their online sales leave a lot to be desired too. Ordered something and they didn't ship right away, after two weeks I still hadn't gotten it, called and they gave me some BS answer. Canceled the order.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 PM   #7

Arizona
I fail to understand how consumers can rationalize a business decision that virtually every other business in America does not practice. I, at least personally, know of no other retail store that doesn't honor their online sales prices at their S&B store. It must be an individual store issue as the Mesa, AZ store does honor the online prices. Isn't this a practice that should be company wide?

While online doesn't have the same employees as S&B they do have employees so why does it matter which employee fulfills your order. BTW, the online catalog is marketing .
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 PM   #8

Florida
I received SIX of the Camco shades today, ordered them on Saturday from AMAZON PRIME, and take that CW!

I also got a quote from CW for a second AC for the bedroom. They are about 600.00 higher than I can get it for off the web. SAME AC!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I received SIX of the Camco shades today, ordered them on Saturday from AMAZON PRIME, and take that CW!

I also got a quote from CW for a second AC for the bedroom. They are about 600.00 higher than I can get it for off the web. SAME AC!
$600! That's a wee bit of markup [emoji50]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 PM   #10

Wyoming
In my experience, CW is rarely the least expensive option...

I look at them like 7-11 stores: they're rarely the least expensive, but if you need something in a hurry when out & about, many times they're the most convenient. And that's what you're paying for.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:25 AM   #11

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
$600! That's a wee bit of markup [emoji50]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
I just checked, CW is $10 more than Amazon, both with free shipping, on our AC. That quote has to include installation.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I just checked, CW is $10 more than Amazon, both with free shipping, on our AC. That quote has to include installation.
Installation was EXTRA and so were all the other things they added like shop materials and glue and .... (which is understandable) and separate for LABOR to install it. Bill estimate was over 1300.00 and that is WITH the CW member discount.

You should check the "free shipping" fine print. I see it does NOT allow for free shipping in the fine print. Specifically says NO AC's.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #13

Florida
I sent CW an email yesterday questioning the pricing for the flyer and the retail outlet... here is what I got back

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Camping World. Our online pricing is different than the prices at your local retail location. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion.

If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to email me back directly or contact our Customer Service department at 1-800-626-3636.

Regards,
Amy
Camping World Customer Care"

Go figure!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:21 PM   #14

Illinois
CW stores are a place where I buy something I really don't need
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
CW just got kicked to the curb for my LP fills. They have been the only place that I could find locally to fill the fixed tank on my Class C. Boss from our local LP delivery service was out yesterday filling up our 1500 gallons worth of tanks, noticed the RV and asked if it needed filling. Yup, took a whole 8 gallons. Paid $1.85 a gallon. CW wants $5 before the Good Sam Discount which is still around $3 a gallon. So now my RV is on the keep full service. He also said that if it needs filling between our farm tank refills to just let him know and he can have a truck meet me somewhere.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:29 AM   #16

Illinois
Around here we just hook an adapter and hose to the farm lp tank and fill them ourselves

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote