AAA, Good Sam or Coach Net? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 01:36 AM   #1

Utah
AAA, Good Sam or Coach Net?

If this has been asked before please accept my apologies. I did search the forum first with no matches, maybe I missed something...

What is the consensus?
I have never heard of Coach Net until I Googled AAA vs. Good Sam.
I'm willing to pay a premium for great service. I had AAA on my last MH but never had to use it and dropped them when I sold it 3 yrs ago. I'm taking delivery on a Razorback in the morning and thought I would sign back up and thought about looking into other providers.

BTW Hi and Cheers!

Hophead

Hophead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:54 AM   #2

Arizona
Go over to rv dot net and check their forum for pro/con on good sam.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #3

British Columbia
I don't know if it's something that only happens in the Canadian market, but both my TV and RV policy includes a road service policy.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #4

Texas
If you shop at Camping World (brick & mortar or out of the catalog online or by phone) they will offer you a discounted Good Sam membership that will save you $$$ on your purchases. When I picked my Voltage I ran by Camping World for a "few things" and saved more than the cost to renew my Good Sam membership.

I've never needed the Good Sam road service as mentioned above, but I have used their discounted rate at many RV Parks.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #5

Arizona
I've been with AAA for many years and I'm also a life member with Good Sam. We tried the Good Sam Roadside Assist but never had to use it. AAA has provided me with great service from Alaska to Arizona so we've opted to stay with them. Overall, there are great benefits to both organizations not just the roadside assist.

Jim and Julie/Lake Havasu City AZ
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins
havasujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 AM   #6

South Carolina
Let's not get confused about the many levels of Good Sam:
1. Good Sam Club is a discount program for prices on Camping World items, discounts at Good Sam parks, and other buying perks.
2. Good Sam Roadside Assistance is the competitor to AAA. It offers, as it name implies, roadside assistance not only when you are in an RV, or towing or hauling one, but also your regular cars and trucks. Given our very positive experience with GSRA, we have recently dropped AAA.
3. Good Sam Travel Assist has to do with medical expenses, particularly out of country, and out of pocket. It does nothing for towing, fuel, battery jump, or other roadside repairs.

We bought our camper at Camping World. We were signed up for, and given, several Good Sam "memberships." It takes a little while to sort out what each does. Caveat Emptor! In our world, we're keeping the Club, and the Roadside Assist.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

Wyoming
We have the Good Sam Roadside Assistance and have used it with good experiences twice. Both times when my wife locked her keys in the car- not the RV or TV!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

Utah
We have had Good Sam ERS (Emergency Road Service) For 15 plus years. We have used it a few times, But have found for the past several years it has went down hill and wait times are longer and it is not the service that it use to be. Next year I will be looking for another ERS Company. I don't know about Coach Net.
Mel
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #9

Tennessee
I've been with Coach Net for at least 10 years. Believe it or not, I have never needed them. I know others that have and seemed to be satisfied. Of course like any other topic, opinions and experiences will vary.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #10

Virginia
I really have no personal experience other than an hour ago. I saw a fiver on the side of the road flashers going. I turned around and stopped to see if I could help. He had a blow out on the rear axle passenger side. It was an older couple, I asked if he needed help changing it. He declined and told me he called good Sam at 3:45. It is now 6:40. I asked again and told him I'd be happy to change it but he wanted to wait. My question for good Sam people. Is that normal for a wait time, Or is this the exception?
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #11

South Carolina
Our one experience was an out-of-gas in rural Georgia. (faulty gauge) Good Sam had a guy there in about 30 to 40 minutes. The dispatcher told me on the phone to hang with her until she made contact with someone. When she did, she told me where they were, and how long it would take to get there. She was conservative, the guy arrived 10 minutes prior to her estimate. Admittedly, tossing a gas can in a wrecker is easier than making sure you have the lifting capability for a fiver. But like anything, it's all about timing, location and luck. As we compared our existing AAA for the Good Sam Roadside Assist we received when we bought the rig, it is very clear the GS is a better program for the money. We dropped AAA, and when they called to ask why, we told them. They didn't even try to argue, they said they understood. Assuming, of course, that it works! Our experience, limited as described, was a good one.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:26 AM   #12

Arizona
I choose none of the three. Turns out my TV/RV insurance company has me covered for any towing I may need.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #13

Ontario
I have the RV coverage with CAA up here in Canada. It saved me a ton of money when my tow vehicle broke down over an hour into a trip. I got both truck and trailer towed back home at no cost.
The coverage through my extended warranty would do the same but requires me to pay up front and send them all invoices and then they decide to reimburse me. I like the CAA deal better. Only pay my yearly membership fee and get 4 service calls a year and towing up to 200 km.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
I really have no personal experience other than an hour ago. I saw a fiver on the side of the road flashers going. I turned around and stopped to see if I could help. He had a blow out on the rear axle passenger side. It was an older couple, I asked if he needed help changing it. He declined and told me he called good Sam at 3:45. It is now 6:40. I asked again and told him I'd be happy to change it but he wanted to wait. My question for good Sam people. Is that normal for a wait time, Or is this the exception?
Absolutely depends on time, place, and what you need....

The longest I have waited was July 4, nearly two hours, but not an emergency, we were almost to the campground.

The two other times (needed to be towed) was about an hour. Good Sam even set up a reservation for us, had our trailer towed and set up, and the truck towed to a garage.... So far, they have done me very well...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #15

Virginia
I appreciate the responses. I really did not think it was the norm, but just wanted see if it was a common occurrence.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:08 AM   #16

Indiana
Since I've been traveling to Florida, I picked up Good Sam. I needed the assurance that if something were to go wrong with my TV that both would be towed. I've read the reviews on Good Sam and feel confident that I will be taken care of. I'm sure there are certain geographical areas that are more challenging than others.

Just like anything else........won't find out how good Good Sam is until I have to. Hope, not to find out .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 01:56 AM   #17

Florida
I had GS on my last 5'er. 2 years ago I was towing from Florida to my m-i-l house in upstate NY. We had spent the night in northern Kentucky. After my usual pre-flight of checking all the tires, we hit the road north. About thirty minutes into the day one of my china bombs did what we come to expect, boom! I got off to the side of the interstate about 3/4 mile short of the next exit. Called GS RSA and spent almost an hour on the phone talking to them trying to get my tire changed. They could not locate anyone willing to come to our location. It was the Independance day weekend and 115* outside at 10 a.m. Luckily I carry my 20 ton pnumatic jack and tools anytime I hook up. Limped off to the exit and changed the tire in a gas station. Just as I finished the two hour ordeal to change tire (because I had to take a break every 5 minutes in my trucks A/C), GS RSA called and asked if I was able to resolve my issue, and asked if they could be of further assistance, to which I said yes cancel the remaining two years of my RSA and send me a refund now. The did, check was at home when I arrived.
When we bought our new Voltage, they gave us 3 years of elite RSA. We shall see.......
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #18

Virginia
Thom, I have to say, I can just about do anything I need but a Tow. That is why I stopped when I did(willing to tow their trailer) or anything I can. I always have bottle jacks and wood to do what I need. That said, for me at least, it is the towing of both units to somewhere negotiable. Tires, axle, I am good for. Just the dreaded last choice that gets me.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 AM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
they gave us 3 years of elite RSA. We shall see.......
Thom, make sure you know what you have. The black Elite card is NOT RSA, it is a special Good Sam membership giving you discounts and a concierge service. That would be for three years. The GS RSA is another card of it's own. Typically, they give you one year of that. When you go to renew, you actually get a different number. At purchase they also throw in GS Travel Assist, which is neither of the above, but rather emergency assistance, especially when traveling out of country, have medical bills, etc. Speaking of GS, their on-line travel planner is great, especially to find campgrounds and tourist sites. But it takes 1/2 of reading brochures and websites to sort out the various GS levels of involvement.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:05 PM   #20

Arizona
We have Good Sam. Seems ok. Get decent discounts and specials at Camping World. while I will not buy a RV there (long story), we do shop there for stuff!