3950 Voltage garage ramp too high - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Lifestyle | Camping, Fun & Hobbies > General Off-Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

California
Exclamation 3950 Voltage garage ramp too high

We have a 2014 3950. Every time taking out the HD it slides down with breaks on cause ramp is too steep. Anyone have solution? It's scary each time.

wsrsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrsdca View Post
We have a 2014 3950. Every time taking out the HD it slides down with breaks on cause ramp is too steep. Anyone have solution? It's scary each time.

Same problem with me on the 3800. I usually put the scooter in gear, with the engine off, and feather the clutch and brake on the way down.
Last time up I crashed on the ramp so now the scooter lives in the garden shed until I can find a safer way to get up and down.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

New Jersey
I find if I lift the front of the 5th wheel, it minimizes the angle of the ramp. Not sure what they use on the ramps, but traction isn't great. One of these days I'd like to get the ramp Line-X coated. I've also found that if one slows before the bike crests the ramp, you're in for trouble. I line it up with the Condor Pitstop chock, and make sure the bike is all the way in the garage, and front wheel in the chock before letting up on the power. Going out is easier, I use the same technique, put it in 1st gear, and use front brake initially, then feather the clutch (engine off). With front brake only, it will slide down the ramp.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

California
Thanks for your input! Really have to find a solution, too dangerous .
Old 09-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...your-4234.html

Check out this fugliness,,,,,
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #6

California
That's what I'm concerned about!
Old 09-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

I agree with Pdonaghu, if you lift the front of the unit on its landing gear it lowers the rear considerably. I back my monster Goldwings out and ride the rear brake and front at the same time. Yes a lean the to left is helpful. Then slowly back it out (it has a reverse) until I feel the ramp pulling on the bike. Then i start the lean with my right foot on the rear brake and hand on the front brake.. /slowly I inch backwards until the end to keep my balance... its a challenge sometimes if it starts sliding but usually it does not if i keep both brakes applied.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #8

Arizona
I have mine in 1st, engine off, as it backs down and I feather the clutch. I never use the front brake. Instead I lean the bike slightly to the left so I can use the rear brake. Works fine for me.

My buddy has an older Weekend Warrior with a much lower ramp because his axles are not flipped like ours are, and I'm jealous.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 AM   #9

Texas
Steeper than putting them in a Pickup?

I admit she's only about 600lbs without her cargo boxes, but it does take an emotional commitment going up and in AND coming back down.

If I'm towing, I flip the bed cover up, run her in straight, then get off and slide her caddy-corner so the tailgate will barely close. When I'm lucky, there will be a hill I can back up to so the ramp doesn't have to be so steep.

Having said all that, I DO use the keep-it-in-gear and clutch it down technique. Works pretty good. But the biggest advantage I likely have over the Harleys and the Goldwing's is that I'm really not that committed to not dropping it every now and then. It IS the worlds biggest dirt bike. It is fond of taking a nap every once in awhile.

Here is what camp looks like when I find a good place for a few days of adventure riding.

(Romney West Virginia)

Sorry, about the hijack. I'm easily distracted and you guys were so descriptive that I saw pictures in my head.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:47 AM   #10

British Columbia
Old age is great!

I read posts and it might be then and there, or a day, or a week later, that lost memory bubbles up to the top of the remaining brain cell.

When I was a kid we lived next door to an old coot, probably 50-60 years my senior, about what my age is now. He had this strange routine when he painted his outside stairs, he would paint the stairs, disappear into the house for 20-30 mins and come out with an old flour sifter.

Kids curiousity, I had to ask. He had a container of sand sitting on top of the hot water heater for a few days. He would load up the flour sifter (he'd replaced the screens with window screen), come out add sprinkle the hot sand on the drying paint, the sand just barely melted through the skin and became embeded in the still drying paint below.

Now days you can find these fancy stick to anything epoxy paints and the grainy additives. I have a vauge recollection of seeing a 3M or ? product, that was applied to the warehouse floors. They went from a skating rink to like walking on a dirt road. Unfortunatley all my maintenance contacts have retired, died or moved on.

They just keep coming. I built a small garden shed/workshop at our old house, just in the nick of time the local Insurance/bankruptcy liquidator, brought in a 54' trailer of freight damaged Industrial coatings. I happened to be in the right place at the right time, just as a 5 gallon bucket of road marking paint landed was being set out. For the tidy sum of $25, what can I loose but $25.

I did 2 coats on the 250sqft floor, then let it dry for a week before I started using the shop. That stuff was like steel after it dried, the downside it was white, the upsided it had a gritty no slip texture and I didn't need to turn the light on at night. Amazing how much light is reflected off of 250'sqft off reflective road paint.

Of course some brave soul could borrow their DWs flour sifter, punch the screens out, heat the sand on the stove top and sprinkle away.

I've got a couple of them vinyl black garage tiles that need replacing, if it can get to it this week, I'll heat up some sand and see what happens when I sprinkle it on them. I'll let ya'll know how it goes and try to get some decent pictures.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #11

Oklahoma
Check at Lowe's or Home Depot They have a anti Skid paint for Decks and around swimming pools, I put two coats on my Ramp and it helped a lot.

Before I setup-level the trailer; I Raise the front all the way up and drop my back jacks just for support and unload my Goldwing.
I hope this helps!!
2013 1800 Goldwing
CDWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDWatkins View Post
Check at Lowe's or Home Depot They have a anti Skid paint for Decks and around swimming pools, I put two coats on my Ramp and it helped a lot.

Before I setup-level the trailer; I Raise the front all the way up and drop my back jacks just for support and unload my Goldwing.
I hope this helps!!
That's your opinion and you could be right!

Like I always the folks, think house stuff for the house part of the camper and vehicle stuff for the vehicle part.

Then if your like me, if house stuff is good, is there anything better, then how about best.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Jim,

I remember my grandfather doing something similar with sand for his house. The house was in Monroe, IA. It was built into the face of a hill and there were only a few front steps but the rear stairs went on forever. I also remember him buying the stuff to make up the white house paint; Linseed Oil, Turpentine and blocks of white lead.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Jim,

I remember my grandfather doing something similar with sand for his house. The house was in Monroe, IA. It was built into the face of a hill and there were only a few front steps but the rear stairs went on forever. I also remember him buying the stuff to make up the white house paint; Linseed Oil, Turpentine and blocks of white lead.

Aaron
Aaron,

That's one of my favorite childhood recipes, it's right up there with playing with the samples of powdered asbestos fibers and mercury. The teacher handed out a vial of mercury he told us we could pour it into our hand and play with it, You were supposed to pour it back in the vial and pass it around. By the time the ball of mercury got back to the teacher, it was about the size of a grain of salt. The teacher never set down the ground rules properly, class of 30-4th graders, all the boys and half the girls busted off a chunk and either tasted it or started a mercury fight. Personally, I didn't like it, it tasted like chicken.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Aaron,

That's one of my favorite childhood recipes, it's right up there with playing with the samples of powdered asbestos fibers and mercury. The teacher handed out a vial of mercury he told us we could pour it into our hand and play with it, You were supposed to pour it back in the vial and pass it around. By the time the ball of mercury got back to the teacher, it was about the size of a grain of salt. The teacher never set down the ground rules properly, class of 30-4th graders, all the boys and half the girls busted off a chunk and either tasted it or started a mercury fight. Personally, I didn't like it, it tasted like chicken.
Now you play with 2.5 grams of mercury and they put the whole school on lockdown and call in the EPA... (actually the story has been updated, they have over 60 grams worth)

I still have a pint mason jar about half full. Also have a gallon of carbon tetrachloride, and a bunch of other stuff. The one that sets people a bit on edge is my 3,000# of radioactive lead bricks. We tore down an old X-ray lab at the hospital I was working at, they let me have the bricks from the wall. They are mildly radioactive after nearly 50 years in the wall. Well below the danger limit, but still interesting. I had planned to build a sailboat in a former lifetime and just got the plans and the ballast.

Aaron
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Now you play with 2.5 grams of mercury and they put the whole school on lockdown and call in the EPA... (actually the story has been updated, they have over 60 grams worth)

I still have a pint mason jar about half full. Also have a gallon of carbon tetrachloride, and a bunch of other stuff. The one that sets people a bit on edge is my 3,000# of radioactive lead bricks. We tore down an old X-ray lab at the hospital I was working at, they let me have the bricks from the wall. They are mildly radioactive after nearly 50 years in the wall. Well below the danger limit, but still interesting. I had planned to build a sailboat in a former lifetime and just got the plans and the ballast.

Aaron

Ah yes, the carbon tet fire extinguisher, the one that saves to kill. I had to start whittling down my experimental chemicals when I retired. Moving company couldn't take them and I had no extra room for many of them and all the other stuff that they couldn't take. When I took a look a my five pounds of black powder, it had to go. Love them stumps!

Better lock them bricks or Kim might come looking for them.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
I got the carbon tet for typewriter cleaning, at least that is what the label said...

We haven't had to blow any stumps around here recently, most of ours are the small stuff that the back hoe can push out, that fails we get the D-6 or the big excavator.

Aaron
Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #18

Minnesota
Quote:
I have a Rubicon 2900 with the same issue. Unloading the HD was so steep, my mufflers hit the pavement preventing me from going further. I went to discountramps.com, and purchased a Big Boy EZ Rizer ramp, 8 feet long. Item MF3-9647-EZ. It is made up of three pieces. Two ramps 14" wide, one 19" wide. I also bought the "alumi-loc-custom" ramp bracket. The EZ Rizer ramp adds 8' at the end of the Rubicon ramp. No sliding now, and mufflers easily clear.
hdfxrschev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #19

Texas
Quote:
I got the carbon tet for typewriter cleaning, at least that is what the label said...

We haven't had to blow any stumps around here recently, most of ours are the small stuff that the back hoe can push out, that fails we get the D-6 or the big excavator.

Aaron
Oh what I could do with EITHER a D-6 or an excavator! Lucky man.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #20

California
Quote:
I don't know what you ride but you could buy what I ride.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 650 Exc Burgman.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	3595
I have no problem getting it in or out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	@ Bikes.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	3596

My son's Victory is on the left.
We also raise the front end before loading & unloading.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote