Winter mods/projects ... new roof fan and keyless entry? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Ohio
Winter mods/projects ... new roof fan and keyless entry?

So it’s cold (ok, so that’s an understatement here in Ohio right now). Since I can’t use my trailer (other than it being cold, it’s being held hostage by Camping World as they take up to two months to replace a drawer latch) so I’m pondering desired modifications.

I’ve just ordered a MaxxAir Deluxe fan to replace my roof screen installed by the manufacturer. (Literally a screen … not even a worthless fan was installed!) Once I get the trailer back from CW I’m going to schedule a time for installation from a reputable local dealer … it’ll be faster and cheaper to have someone else put it in as they have all the tools, knowledge and know-how.

I’m still pondering a keyless entry door lock. Thoughts? There seems to be only two main players out there and reviews seem all over the place for both. A fob would be nice, but not necessary. But I’d like to be able to not fumble with a key in the dark (when I probably have my hands full). What’s the good, bad and/or ugly about these things? I can keep an extra key hidden for the possibility of a dead battery.

What else are you doing or planning this winter?

PamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

Wyoming
Well, after 4 years, most of my mods are done. Maybe a tweek here or there, but now most projects seem to be purely maintenance.

However in re your keyless locks... I can't speak about anyone but RVlock.com, but I like em. My rig came with their old version 3.0 product (with the separate keypad) on the main door. I did have it replaced once under warranty (within the first year)... and except for eating batteries too often, it worked pretty well. When their new version 4 model came out (the one with the integrated keypad), I got it & replaced the old one I had (and then moved the old one to the rear garage door).

It's been almost 2 years now, and I've had ZERO problems with either of them. Since the included remote can handle 2 locks... both of them are programed in, and I haven't even punched numbers into the keypads in almost forever.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well, after 4 years, most of my mods are done. Maybe a tweek here or there, but now most projects seem to be purely maintenance.

However in re your keyless locks... I can't speak about anyone but RVlock.com, but I like em. My rig came with their old version 3.0 product (with the separate keypad) on the main door. I did have it replaced once under warranty (within the first year)... and except for eating batteries too often, it worked pretty well. When their new version 4 model came out (the one with the integrated keypad), I got it & replaced the old one I had (and then moved the old one to the rear garage door).

It's been almost 2 years now, and I've had ZERO problems with either of them. Since the included remote can handle 2 locks... both of them are programed in, and I haven't even punched numbers into the keypads in almost forever.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Texas
I have had my RVlock for over a year now and would not do without it ever again!

Another great mod for me last year was a built in water filtration system. Pics review and write up forthcoming. So far the boss loves it and i don't have to worry about where we go for water, freezing outside hose or little blue filter. Temps 14 degrees right now and below freezing for going on 72 hours here in North Texas. I just filled up the tanks 174 gallons by the way, for a 160 gallon tanks. Then turned on the heat pads and not a worry yet. Pump is a little loud but tolerable and you get used to it. Taste is great and no problems installing and setting up behind the wet bay.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #5

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
I have had my RVlock for over a year now and would not do without it ever again!

Another great mod for me last year was a built in water filtration system. Pics review and write up forthcoming. So far the boss loves it and i don't have to worry about where we go for water, freezing outside hose or little blue filter. Temps 14 degrees right now and below freezing for going on 72 hours here in North Texas. I just filled up the tanks 174 gallons by the way, for a 160 gallon tanks. Then turned on the heat pads and not a worry yet. Pump is a little loud but tolerable and you get used to it. Taste is great and no problems installing and setting up behind the wet bay.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Yeesh ... isn't that very cold for Texas? We have a high of 14 here in Ohio ... but that's to be expected in January.

Thanks for the input on the RVLock. I may just pull the trigger and buy it.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #6

Tennessee
Those are pricey
curiousgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:59 AM   #7

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgb View Post
Those are pricey
True, but it's not like it's something you'll only use every now & then, or a few times per season. It's something you literally use every time you leave & come back to your rig... and convenience makes the cost worth it. At least, it does for me... your mileage may vary.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamW View Post
Yeesh ... isn't that very cold for Texas? We have a high of 14 here in Ohio ... but that's to be expected in January.

Thanks for the input on the RVLock. I may just pull the trigger and buy it.
For this part of Texas it's very friggin cold.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Those are pricey
Maybe up front they seem a little pricey but like Tom said mileage may vary. My BOSS will not do without it and she MUST be happy. Very convenient and simple design, easy installation, functional and worth every cent to me.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #10

Ohio
Quote:
Those are pricey
Yep. It may just wait until next season. I just dropped $300 on a bathroom fan and still have to pay for installation this year!