When manuevering off road with a 5er and you think you have everyhing covered - DOH! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Washington
When manuevering off road with a 5er and you think you have everyhing covered - DOH!

So our friends live on a river, and are throwing this huge annual party this weekend. We were invited, and wanted another excuse to use the 5th wheel this season, so drove it down there. I was super careful to look for overhead branches, etc.

Upon getting it down to the river area, we had to drive through a gate (its horse pastures) which was down a short semi-steep hill. I had my wife and friend there watching the landing gear, and the trailer vs. the top of the bed walls etc... what I didn't think to ask them to watch for was the spare tire hanging off the back.

As I extremely slowly descended this short but steep hill, I hear them yell "STOP!" Popped out of the truck to find the spare tire dragging against the ground, and the piece the tire is mounted to bent backwards now and my bumper dragging in the dirt as well.

DOH! Ended up deciding to simply pull forward slowly as we were far enough that it wasn't going to get worst, got it into the area by the river, set it up and will have to bend back the spare tire bracket or replace it. However, I'm now a little worried about getting it back out at the end of the weekend.

I was thinking, if I bring some blocks to drive the trailer tires up onto, it should raise the bumper and not drag. Thoughts?

All in all, it could've been much worse. Just a DOH! moment as I was trying so hard not to miss anything and do any damage. 5er's aren't supposed to go "off road" haha

Here's a pic of the angle going down the hill:

West1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

Arizona
When you leave, the departure angles of the truck and trailer will likely be different depending on the grade changes as you pull out vs pulling in based on length of trailer, locations of the axles and truck/pinbox. You may end up dragging the back a little, just in a different spot, which may be mitigated with boards or blocks, also, keep an eye out for high centering on top of the hill.
What I would recommend is have a good time, try not to worry about it too much and disrupt your trip, and take your time and sort it out using plenty of spotters on the way out. You got it in, with a little repairable damage, so you will be able to get it out.

In the end, backing out using blocks to raise the rear at the spot that caused the problems may ending up to be the best bet, but I have not seen the whole picture of the area to make a more educated guess.

Good Luck, enjoy your trip.
Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote