What would be a good unit? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #1

South Carolina
What would be a good unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Just an FYI... I had a sticker but NO backer board also.

Being an under year Dutchman owner, reading these posts is really revealing and disheartening. I have learned a lot.

Mostly that QC is non existing. Ughhhh.

We are considering upgrading. Probably not a Dutchman. huh

Is there a consensus on the better RVs in the industry? Or do they all suck?

Here is one list on the web.

• Airstream Classic 30. ...
  • Imagine 2150RB By Grand Design RV. ...
  • Jay Flight 28BHBE By Jayco. ...
  • Reflection 313RLTS By Grand Design RV. ...
  • Revere 33BH By Shasta. ...
  • Surveyor 243RBS By Forest River Inc. ...
  • Travel Star 324RLTS By Starcraft RV. ...
  • Prowler 29P RKS By Heartland RV.

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Being an under year Dutchman owner, reading these posts is really revealing and disheartening. I have learned a lot.

[/LIST]
In an equal price range? They all suck. Lance, Airstream or something like that.

TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasBob View Post
In an equal price range? They all suck. Lance, Airstream or something like that.

I have looked at Lance. The price difference is dramatic! I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #4

Florida
Love my Tiffin 32 foot diesel pusher! Very few problems. it is 2 1/2 years old now and just last week, I called Tiffin because the HDMI splitter that sends the blue ray player to all four TVs stopped working. They sent me the part free of charge and did not require me to go to the dealer to have it troubleshot!
That's customer service and quality!
They are once again making class C motor homes as of this year.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Love my Tiffin 32 foot diesel pusher! Very few problems. it is 2 1/2 years old now and just last week, I called Tiffin because the HDMI splitter that sends the blue ray player to all four TVs stopped working. They sent me the part free of charge and did not require me to go to the dealer to have it troubleshot!
That's customer service and quality!
They are once again making class C motor homes as of this year.

Outstanding!
What is the original Manufacturer Warranty?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:22 PM   #6

Illinois
Tiffin has always had a great reputation for customer service and quality. Bob Tiffin himself would literally always have an open door. He walked the build lines daily and would regularly talk to the customers waiting for service. He personally authorized work on my mother's class A that was at least 4 years out of warranty. When I started to look at a new 5'er, I was thrilled to see that Tiffin was building the Vilano (and upgraded Beacon). Company owned by Bob Tiffin's son and grandson. Sadly the quality I was looking for wasn't there. Can't speak the the service on them.
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:11 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Outstanding!
What is the original Manufacturer Warranty?
1 year bumper to bumper,
3 year chassis (Tiffin made chassis on mine)
5 year Cummins diesel & Aisin tranny.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I have looked at Lance. The price difference is dramatic! I guess you get what you pay for.
Before we decided to jump to the Coachmen Concord the Lance TT was on our short list.

I don't think there is a single manufacturer out there without some issues, how many and how they deal with it is what makes the difference.

IMHO the privately held companies typically do a better job than the publicly owned ones. Another unfortunate cycle is when a small, privately held company allows itself to get bought out by a investment group, then the penny pinching starts and the quality slides. They either get bought up by the big boys or go out of business. Seen it happen time and time again.

Airstreams are purdy, but they have major quality issues too. On that list that ArmyVeteran posted I would lean towards the Grand Designs, they are owned by Winnebago. FWIW Airstream is owned by Thor who also owns Dutchman, Keystone and quite a few others. Shasta is owned by Forrest River, Starcraft is owned by Jayco...etc, etc.

Jayco is still privately held and has a decent reputation.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #9

Illinois
Take a look at the Riverstone (Forest River) if you're in the market for a 5th wheel. Quality and material are a step above. Residential type.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:

Here is one list on the web.

• Airstream Classic 30. ...
  • Imagine 2150RB By Grand Design RV. ...
  • Jay Flight 28BHBE By Jayco. ...
  • Reflection 313RLTS By Grand Design RV. ...
  • Revere 33BH By Shasta. ...
  • Surveyor 243RBS By Forest River Inc. ...
  • Travel Star 324RLTS By Starcraft RV. ...
  • Prowler 29P RKS By Heartland RV.

If you have deep pockets, look at DRV. From when I walk through, they seem to be built really well. Insulated well, and seemingly solid. We're looking at one for full timing.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:51 AM   #11

Arizona
Me, I won't ever buy another trailer as they are cheaply built as quickly as they can push them out the door. Workers are paid by the unit and their work isn't checked. Perfect combination for poor quality.

OP was asking about trailers but Tiffin motorhomes was mentioned. If you order a Tiffin you can travel to Red Bay and be on the floor and watch it being built from start to finish. I'm not aware of any trailer builder doing that.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:34 PM   #12

California
New unit

I would definitely stay away from anything Dutchman makes. I have a 2016 Voltage TH and have had numerous problems including recently a bent frame from a leaf spring breaking on my trip to Colorado. I owned 4 different trailers over the years and i was very happy with the construction and quality of the Forest River units. When it comes to the trailer industry, there really is no clear cut manufacture that will stand by their name in making a quality unit. Its to bad especially when you pay $100,000 for a trailer and then your on your own. If the car manufactures did the same thing, they would be out business the next year.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 PM   #13

South Carolina
Thanks

For all the info guys.
It is amazing! If you built a house or a vacuum cleaner this way. .......can you say chapter 13!

At this point Grand Design seems a choice for us based on price and quality. Wife loves the interiors

We shall see.
Bill
Old 09-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
If you have deep pockets, look at DRV. From when I walk through, they seem to be built really well. Insulated well, and seemingly solid. We're looking at one for full timing.
This was also one of our reasons to buy used, to let the original owner shake things out. Our Dutchmen Aerolite 213RBSL has been a great unit with very few problems. I did a lot of homework and used a 3rd party independent inspector who only found scratches as the only notable problem.

My wife and I also took our time and were not in a rush. It was more important to find a good unit that met most of our needs than to just find a floor plan we like and just deal with the issues.

I think doing your homework and talking your time is the most important factor. Of course, we have started searching for our next camper but going to RV Show in Hershey PA Sept 13-16. Looking at upgrading our current camper with our possible full time camper or 5er or Class A/C in the next 3 years. Again, taking our time and talking to a lot of people.

Right now I have found more positive comments from Dutchmen, Grand Design and Tiffin owners. But even they have some issues.

Good luck in your search and keep sharing your posts so we can all learn from what you are finding.
2018 Ford F150 Supercrew Lariat
GTULOWITZKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #15

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Before we decided to jump to the Coachmen Concord the Lance TT was on our short list.

I don't think there is a single manufacturer out there without some issues, how many and how they deal with it is what makes the difference.

IMHO the privately held companies typically do a better job than the publicly owned ones. Another unfortunate cycle is when a small, privately held company allows itself to get bought out by a investment group, then the penny pinching starts and the quality slides. They either get bought up by the big boys or go out of business. Seen it happen time and time again.

Airstreams are purdy, but they have major quality issues too. On that list that ArmyVeteran posted I would lean towards the Grand Designs, they are owned by Winnebago. FWIW Airstream is owned by Thor who also owns Dutchman, Keystone and quite a few others. Shasta is owned by Forrest River, Starcraft is owned by Jayco...etc, etc.

Jayco is still privately held and has a decent reputation.

Aaron
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but Jayco was brought out by Thor in July 2016, so the quality issues is a problem there now as well.
Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #16

South Carolina
Quote:

Thanks,

If we go full time, they may be deep enough. No penny pinching in that scenario.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Thanks,

If we go full time, they may be deep enough. No penny pinching in that scenario.

Considering selling two of our brick and mortar and making the leap. Only problem is that I will need a new truck also. Looked at a Ford 450 Platinum for 70K, with the 5th wheel hitch already installed. That was list.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:57 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adair1965 View Post
Sorry to disappoint everyone, but Jayco was brought out by Thor in July 2016, so the quality issues is a problem there now as well.
Dang! Not sure how I missed that! Funny thing is, there is NOTHING on the Jayco website about the buyout.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Considering selling two of our brick and mortar and making the leap. Only problem is that I will need a new truck also. Looked at a Ford 450 Platinum for 70K, with the 5th wheel hitch already installed. That was list.

WOW! What are you going to tow with that 450? Your last "brick and mortar"

Good Luck and keep us updated.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #20

South Carolina
Quote:

I just googled the 450. Yikes! Some are well over $100K