Water in the belly? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Illinois
Water in the belly?

This past weekend I had jacked up my trailer to pull the hubs and inspect the brakes(glad I did, there was a blown seal) and when I had the one side up, water was pouring out from between the belly cover and frame.

Is this expected when sitting outside for a while, especially considering how much rain we have had the past two months? Doesn't appear to be my FWT as that is still almost full from filling it weeks back. It is clear water too, so not the holding tanks.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

South Carolina
Check out this post:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...html#post70001

Old 07-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #3

Arizona
Since you brought it up, you don't blow seals if you don't squirt grease into the hub.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:19 PM   #4

North Carolina
Water in underbelly ?

Our 2017 Kodiak Ultimate had same issue. Didin't do anything about it until the floor got soft and mushy in front of kitchen. Discovered that the floor got wet from underneath because when filling the fresh water tank some of the water overflowed on the top of tank instead of comi g out the overflow hose because that hose wasn't connected properly ti the tank. So, Dutchmen gave us a brand new trailer...a year newer. Same model. Keystone and our dealer were awesome, and it only took a couple weeks.
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

California
You've got a leak somewhere.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 PM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will59 View Post
You've got a leak somewhere.

Well, it isn't from the FWT that's for sure. It would smell like Chlorine if it was. It was clear, so couldn't be from the grey tank, and that one has very little in it as well. We had a lot of rain this year though, and the trailer sat for at least 3 months during that time.

It hasn't rained much since I moved it, so will see if any comes out on Saturday. If not, then I will give a crawl under and see if there is an opening that allowed rain to get in. Never had water come out of there in the 4 years I have owned it.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #7

California
I'd turn on the water pump to pressurize the system and see if any water leaks into the belly. If not, I'd then connect city water and see if it leaks into the belly. If not, then I'd try filling the fresh water tank to see if the filler connection leaks.
Will59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #8

Illinois
As I was standing in my new driveway, taking in the nice weather, I noticed a pattern in the driveway. It is gravel, so patterns are easy to make. It dawned on me that very moment that I had moved my trailer from where I normally park it to the new driveway so that they could put in a new pad so it is level and not sitting in dirt.

While it was sitting on the new drive, it was not leveled, leaning towards the curb side, and there was a rectangle in the gravel where the water had run off the sides during a rather heavy rain the day after I moved it there.

When I had moved it from its regular spot, no water came out from under it, bone dry, which tells me that it is all rain water since the FWT level is still the same as it was for the past month, and there was still some pressure in the lines without the pump running for days.

So, now I need to take a look at the seams underneath, I think rain water ran down the street side and got in the belly from there. I just went under it when I got home from work to drain the FWT and get it ready for the trip this weekend. Bone dry underneath, tank still at the same level, so that tells me rain got in somewhere, now to find it.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #9

New Jersey
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
As I was standing in my new driveway, taking in the nice weather, I noticed a pattern in the driveway. It is gravel, so patterns are easy to make. It dawned on me that very moment that I had moved my trailer from where I normally park it to the new driveway so that they could put in a new pad so it is level and not sitting in dirt.

While it was sitting on the new drive, it was not leveled, leaning towards the curb side, and there was a rectangle in the gravel where the water had run off the sides during a rather heavy rain the day after I moved it there.

When I had moved it from its regular spot, no water came out from under it, bone dry, which tells me that it is all rain water since the FWT level is still the same as it was for the past month, and there was still some pressure in the lines without the pump running for days.

So, now I need to take a look at the seams underneath, I think rain water ran down the street side and got in the belly from there. I just went under it when I got home from work to drain the FWT and get it ready for the trip this weekend. Bone dry underneath, tank still at the same level, so that tells me rain got in somewhere, now to find it.
I'm pretty sure I had the same situation. When I moved the trailer a bit of water dripped out of the underbelly, certainly less than a gallon. After a bit of investigation, I guessed that rain water was dripping down the front and being caught by an extended lip of the underbelly where it connected to the frame.
First I drilled two 1/4" holes at the low point of the underbelly sag, and then sealed the seam along the extended lip. It solved the problem..

Allentown, NJ
Firstime RVer is offline   Reply With Quote