Water heater drain - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 01:31 AM   #1

North Carolina
Water heater drain

Was wondering if anyone has hooked up a small hose with a shut off valve to the drain port of the hot water heater so the water does not drain all over the place. If so, what size adapter did you use to connect the hose to the drain port?

stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:44 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
Was wondering if anyone has hooked up a small hose with a shut off valve to the drain port of the hot water heater so the water does not drain all over the place. If so, what size adapter did you use to connect the hose to the drain port?
Probably be best if you just removed the drain plug and took it with you to the hardware store so you can match the threads. I'm not positive but I think the threads on the plug are straight pipe but it could be something else.
You could also drill and tap threads in the plug itself and install a petcock with a hose.
Or you could do what I do, funnel the water out of the way with something that would act as a channel to get the water to the outside of the heater box.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Florida
I used a water supply hose for a toilet and a toilet shut off at the end of the hose. I also got an adapter from the pipe threads of the water heater plug to the toilet water supply hose (male to male). When I open the valve AND open the water blow off valve, it drains fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerk...FVfE4QodsFcM7g

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-...iABEgLH7vD_BwE

The hose is flexible enough to just lay in the compartment with the door closed.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:22 AM   #4

South Carolina
Petcock valve into a reducer. Not shown is a hose connected to a barbed hose connector, that threads into the valve. Doesn't look like it will go into the valve, but it does go under that pipe. So I twist the hose/fitting on to the petcock, and route the hose out to drain. Open the valve, and out it comes![IMG][/IMG]
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #5

Massachusetts
Here' what I used

This worked out great. Gave it just enough extention where the water didn't end up in the hot water heater compartment.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/camc...hoCfe4QAvD_BwE
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Petcock valve into a reducer. Not shown is a hose connected to a barbed hose connector, that threads into the valve. Doesn't look like it will go into the valve, but it does go under that pipe. So I twist the hose/fitting on to the petcock, and route the hose out to drain. Open the valve, and out it comes![IMG][/IMG]
Is ok to run metal into plastic?
stepbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbill View Post
Is ok to run metal into plastic?
Plastic would be a generic term in this case. The plug could be any composite material that is used in many applications.

Threading the brass petcock into the drain plug would be pretty much the same as the drain plug being threaded into the aluminum or steel tank.

One can find dissimilar materials mated in many applications these days.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote