Water - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #1

California
Water

I have a 2018 Endurance. We are going to be going on a trip and the trailer will be staying at the rv park in base. Would you recommend leaving the water running to the trailer or firm it as the faucet while we are gone. Going to be gone for about 3 weeks. I am located 45 mins northeast of Sacramento

Dano5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:31 AM   #2

Oregon
What elevation will you be at? Are you expecting freezing temps? I personally would not leave water running plus I close the sewer connection when not dumping and if you leave a faucet running you will have to leave the sewer open.

If your expecting freezing weather I would disconnect the water line , drain fresh water tank and just blow out the water lines without using any antifreeze. Kinda like a mini winterization...Good luck...

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Tennessee
Shouldn't have to open the "sewer", just the gray tank. I would never leave my camper hooked to water for any length of time unattended, too many things can go wrong.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #4

Oregon
I read a article once where the sewer backed up at a RV park and the last guy in line had his RV filled with sewage from the overflow because he left his sewer valves open. I don't want to be that guy!
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #5

Florida
In my opinion, I would NEVER leave the city water on if you are gone for any extended length of time, even if you have a pressure regulator. IF you think you are in an area where it is going to freeze, blow the lines out, pour some antifreeze in the drains and in the black and grey tanks. Freezing is freezing, take precautions to safeguard your investment... I don't pump antifreeze in my water lines, I just blow them out. I would recommend you getting a new valve for your grey and black tank drain like one of the add on Valterra Valves

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...rra+gate+valve

It helps with that little bit of seepage when you first take the cover off to hook up your sewer lines but it would keep something from happening in case you get a back flow from the sewer system while you are gone (never heard of it happening but you never know).
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Water off if I am going to be gone for more than a few hours, hose off and stored if it is going to be more than 24 hours.

Aaron:
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I read a article once where the sewer backed up at a RV park and the last guy in line had his RV filled with sewage from the overflow because he left his sewer valves open. I don't want to be that guy!
One would never want to leave a sewer valve open. It's a holding tank designed to hold solids and liquids until such time it's full.
The act of holding solids and liquids allows the solids to break down so they can be disposed of by draining the tank.
If the valve was open all the time the liquids would drain but the solids would pile up and dry in the tank.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
One would never want to leave a sewer valve open. It's a holding tank designed to hold solids and liquids until such time it's full.
The act of holding solids and liquids allows the solids to break down so they can be disposed of by draining the tank.
If the valve was open all the time the liquids would drain but the solids would pile up and dry in the tank.
BUT, you do (or can) leave the gray tank valve open so sewer stuff can go there and you are quite correct that you do not leave the black tank valve opened up!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #9

Illinois
I leave my gray tanks open most of the time but once a week or so, I close them and let the fill up a bit so when I drain I get some force to flush out any residue or small chunks that inadvertently got down the drain. Also shoot some cheap dish soap down before draining as well.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Florida
I would shut the water off and close the valves while you are gone. My wife's brother left water on down in central Fl. and went home for a month, when he returned a pipe had broken, flooded the whole trailer, he had to put new carpets etc.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
I would shut the water off and close the valves while you are gone. My wife's brother left water on down in central Fl. and went home for a month, when he returned a pipe had broken, flooded the whole trailer, he had to put new carpets etc.
Hello Graceville? I went to OWJC and lived in DeFuniak!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Hello Graceville? I went to OWJC and lived in DeFuniak!
We actually live in Popular Springs area, (Holmes Co. ) on 173 1/2 mile from Al. Line (best of both worlds where gas and snuff are concerned) We have only lived here for a little over 9 years.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoaks View Post
We actually live in Popular Springs area, (Holmes Co. ) on 173 1/2 mile from Al. Line (best of both worlds where gas and snuff are concerned) We have only lived here for a little over 9 years.
BEST fishing in Florida is just off the coast in Destin!