Washing RV at campground - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #1

Washing RV at campground

Hey folks, so what's the consensus about washing your RV/camper while at a campground with water service? I don't see too many people doing it but seems like a great time to do it (since you have time while camping). Is it taboo or something? Yes, it would use water but wouldn't really affect the sewer system at all since the water will just land on the ground.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

Wyoming
Re: Washing RV at campground

Generally most parks forbid it. Read the park rules when you arrive. You also have to be aware that the area may be under water restrictions which also forbid vehicle washing.
If in doubt, just ask the manager!

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Saskatchewan

With the kids and camping, I have too much going on to be washing the camper while we're there. And my concern would be getting the site wet and muddy from the water.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Community Founder

Once, at a State Park I watched as a Ranger approach someone while washing his 5er; and made him quit.

This was listed in Vehicle Use of the property rules, in the Office, Brochure and On-line.

No person shall Clean, Service and/or Repair a vehicle on Office of State Park property.

Some privately owned campgrounds have a designated area to wash vehicles.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #5

Washington
Lightbulb Re: Washing RV at campground

I've used wet drier sheets to get the bugs off the front and shined it up with some Voom but haven't ever got the hose/bucket/brush out while camping.

I've considered using just a touch of soap in a bucket of water with a rag and then drying it off as I go; but luckily I've come to my senses before I got that far.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #6

I saw a guy using a wet cloth on his windows with a squeegee for rinsing/drying at Waterton but that's as much as I've seen. But it got me to thinking which is why I asked.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #7

Washington

What about the waterless car wash stuff? I actually did use that on my pickup in a campground. It isn't cheap but it sure does work well. I use it for between washes on the wife's black MDX. Might just be too expensive for the trailer though.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #8

Wash Wax All

I was wondering about the waterless wash as well so I did some googling and found what seems to be a great product.

Aircraft RV Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies

Several online reviewers found on Amazon and other RV owner sites has said that the product works really good, has anyone on here used it? I'm considering the Kit that has a variety of products in it. I store my trailer in another province which is about 600km from me and I really don't get many chances to clean my trailer but with this I can clean at the campgrounds.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #9

Illinois
sounds good to me seen people do that before
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #10

British Columbia
I normally have a black cloud over my head when we camp... we typicaly have rain at least once or twice when we camp ( some times longer) so washing the trailer is no problem. Keeping the muddy dog clean and out of the unit is another issue.

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Administrator

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
I normally have a black cloud over my head when we camp...
Me too! But.... sometimes if we are going to be camping with folks we know or in one place for several days, it's nice to have a clean trailer. We've been known to stop at a self serve car wash near our camping destination for a quick bug removal session
Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Me too! But.... sometimes if we are going to be camping with folks we know or in one place for several days, it's nice to have a clean trailer. We've been known to stop at a self serve car wash near our camping destination for a quick bug removal session
Is that the drive thru type bay washes? I haven't seen a lot of them in my travels. I wonder would a trailer go in one of them, are they high enough?

I just wish there were more wash stations in the campground or certain days/hrs of the week that would allow it. After traveling last summer, about 4800km, the trailer was dirty and no place to wash. Bug splatter, road grime and so on, I left it up to the place where I store it for them to clean, so hopefully when I pick it up this summer its nice and clean again!!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Administrator

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcabuddy View Post
Is that the drive thru type bay washes? I haven't seen a lot of them in my travels. I wonder would a trailer go in one of them, are they high enough?

Yes. The kind you put quarters in and wash, then pull forward to do the same at the vacuum cleaner. I find these in every town and they are usually pretty tall.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #14

British Columbia
Be careful with these wash bays...the water pressure is pretty high. I used one and I almost removed the trailer decal with the spray wand. But boy do they do the job. I went to a truck stop that have oversize wash bays....or you could wait for for a High School Band Car Wash and get your money's worth.

Coops

Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote