Voltage delamination - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Michigan
Voltage delamination

I wish I would've researched the Voltage line before buying.
It's a 2013 and it already has delamination on both sides, both the sofa and loveseat seams are splitting and on our last trip one of our wheels completely sheared off the lug nuts. We lost the brand new tire and rim!
We bought every extended warranty but most have expired. The only one left is the leather warranty but it doesnt cover seam separation.
We've had it to General RV for delamination issues but they said theres no leaks.
We tried to trade it in but no one will tough an rv with delamination. So we're stuck.

bansale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansale View Post
It's a 2013 and it already has delamination on both sides, both the sofa and loveseat seams are splitting and on our last trip one of our wheels completely sheared off the lug nuts. We lost the brand new tire and rim!
We bought every extended warranty but most have expired. The only one left is the leather warranty but it doesnt cover seam separation.
We've had it to General RV for delamination issues but they said theres no leaks.
We tried to trade it in but no one will tough an rv with delamination. So we're stuck.

OMG! Good Luck!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

Louisiana
IMO, most tow-able RV's are not meant to be kept in the weather. They are built using cheap materials in order to keep them affordable. I think anyone purchasing one should add storage or some type of permanent covered structure into their budget. I have had my Voltage stored in a RV/Boat self-storage type garage since it was purchased and have had no issues with leaking or delamination. Tough lessons learned from my first 2 TTs that both developed leaks that eventually rotted out the walls & floors.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
IMO, most tow-able RV's are not meant to be kept in the weather. They are built using cheap materials in order to keep them affordable. I think anyone purchasing one should add storage or some type of permanent covered structure into their budget. I have had my Voltage stored in a RV/Boat self-storage type garage since it was purchased and have had no issues with leaking or delamination. Tough lessons learned from my first 2 TTs that both developed leaks that eventually rotted out the walls & floors.

Ditto^^^^^^^^
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:58 PM   #5

Arizona
Most every tire shop uses impact tools to install lug nuts and few bother to torque correctly. Good chance your lug nuts were put on too tight, over torqued, and they failed. As for the furniture, every trailer has the cheap stuff installed and it will fail. Can't help on the delam.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #6

Florida
Know the feeling, ours is a 2014 V3200 and have replaced the rubber roof and the floor in both slides followed by the slide mechanisms that went bad due to the weight of the soaked floors. Also replaced the sofa because the fabric fell apart. Unfortunately, like you, no one would even consider it on trade with the damage, so I bit the bullet and had it all repaired. Got far more in it than it’s worth now, so I’ll just use it till it falls apart again and probably scrap it. Been looking for a place to store it inside in hopes of extending the life, but no luck yet.
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #7

Ohio
Also have a 2013

Quote:
You’ll never get done fixing a Voltage. My 2013 has delaminated on both sides. One of them covers almost the whole side of the garage. I just found out the floor is rotting in the garage. I’ve had two of the slide floors replaced also. Knowing now I would never buy another Dutchmen product. You pay that much money for a camper that won’t last even three years..
Dav71356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:12 AM   #8

Florida
I forgot to mention that part of my garage floor has been replaced as well. None of the leaks had tell tale water that could be seen. They obviously don’t seal things at the factory.
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #9

Arizona
Guess I'm a lucky one with no delamination issues but then my 3600 lives in dry AZ
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 AM   #10

Texas
Wow all, sorry to hear about everyone's issues. Ours has been a dream and stored outdoors in SC and TX since we have owned it. 0 QA/QC at the factory and absolutely built as cheap as possible.
mauerrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:54 AM   #11

Alberta
Quote:
Have a 2017 I’ll cross my fingers it lasts longer than yours. So sorry to hear. As for the wheel coming off I’d go after the tire shop. I’d guess they used an impact to put the wheels back on and over torqued and stretched the stud. I’d also pull all your wheels and have new studs put in. Cheap easy fix for the security of your rig. Wheels have a torque specs for a reason.
Donttouchmytoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM   #12

Colorado
Sorry to hear of the perils you have been experiencing with your Voltage but maybe it would be some consolation to you to hear that it is not just Voltage which requires frequent fixes. After RVing for 3 years now and after chatting with many other RVers, we quickly came to the realization that maintenance of some sort or another is always going to be part of RV Life. Unfortunately most will NEVER be done maintaining ANY RV, no matter what company manufactured it, no matter whether it's a motor home, 5th wheel or a Bumper Pull. As an earlier responder mentioned, these companies have to for one keep the RV's as light weight as possible and as affordable as possible, which consequently means the quality of the unit is somewhat compromised. We love our Voltage and RV life but have come to accept the fact that we will always be making improvements as we like to call them!
JJOAKLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Buy an airplane...

Now I know why an elder friend and mentor told me to spend my money on an airplane instead of an RV....
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

Ontario
Yup yup!!

Have the same problem with teh furniture in our 2014..had it repaired..at our cost..but was told these types of furniture always do this and the repairs would not last..yup..after a year they are starting again...as for the delamination..well not us, thank goodness, but cracks in the gelcoat, done at manufacturer, on the cap...
sgtbarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #15

Ontario
Agree..we love ours even with the issues we had..heck the main window was leaking due to poor installation at manufacture, lucky we caught it while under 1st year warranty..just wish they would pay more attention to the quality as opposed to the quanity they want to push out..
sgtbarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #16

Texas
Doesn't surprise me..

We had bought a 2015 Voltage 3895 and within 6months the seat heater went out..but they ended up giving us new couches, because they discontinued our color..plus the engineer that designed the seat didnt incorporate taking the heater out of the seat..the whole chair needed to be replaced..I'm scrapping my couches already..The cushions aren't as firm and aren't that old..leather is fine..but decided to build me a foldable couch bed in its place..
pipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #17

California
Voltage Disaster

We too have a 2013 V3905 with all the same issues. I replaced a 4' X 5' section of the garage floor this past spring. The issue was a result of the factory installed roof gutter seamed right over the left rear window. The seam leaked down the trailer side into the poorly sealed window "delaming" the wall and rotting the floor. When I pulled the window, to ensure a proper seal, the "sealing" material was only a thin rubber strip that wasn't even covering the huge gap between the window frame and the window cutout made by, I can only assume, a drunken sailor. After applying silicone to the seam in the gutter, we used 1/2 " butyl tape all around the window, then more silicone on the window top edge. We spent about 2 days removing the old section of the floor, waterproofing the new strand board, reinforcing the underside of the floor between the tires and the floor with sheet metal and installing the new floor section.
Bottom line, We firmly believe our unit was built on a Friday of a Memorial Day weekend and will always need to be repaired!

jblatch is offline   Reply With Quote