Truck and trailer weight - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 PM   #1

Florida
Truck and trailer weight

Went by the CAT scale the other day because curiosity got the best of me... and it wasn't far from our Georgia house. Here's the results. It looks a little heavy in the back but the trailer and truck are completely level!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck weight alone.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	4835   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck and trailer weight 1.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	4836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	4837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	4838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	4839  

franktafl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Went by the CAT scale the other day because curiosity got the best of me... and it wasn't far from our Georgia house. Here's the results. It looks a little heavy in the back but the trailer and truck are completely level!

I am looking to do that also. I googled Cat scale and found one not too far here in SC. What did they charge, may I ask.
I don't quite understand your numbers? Are you able to figure out the individual weight of truck and trailer? I assume you have to weight the truck separately to get the tongue weight?

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:14 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
...I assume you have to weight the truck separately to get the tongue weight?
Correct... and not only to get the tongue/king pin weight, but to get the exact weight of the trailer. The truck by itself is the constant, then compute the combined numbers as necessary to get your trailer & tongue weights.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #4

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
I am looking to do that also. I googled Cat scale and found one not too far here in SC. What did they charge, may I ask.
I don't quite understand your numbers? Are you able to figure out the individual weight of truck and trailer? I assume you have to weight the truck separately to get the tongue weight?
$11.50 for weigh. 5.00 for a re-weigh within 24 hours. you go in (but you don't really need to) tell them your truck number (one) and company (last name, or whatever you want). Pull on the scale, push the button, weigh. Pull around, go in, get your weigh ticket and pay (if you didn't already). they were really nice where I went. Understanding too.

Even though my truck and trailer are somewhat level, I could do some more adjusting to get more weight on the front wheels and more off the back.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
$11.50 for weigh. 5.00 for a re-weigh within 24 hours. you go in (but you don't really need to) tell them your truck number (one) and company (last name, or whatever you want). Pull on the scale, push the button, weigh. Pull around, go in, get your weigh ticket and pay (if you didn't already). they were really nice where I went. Understanding too.

Even though my truck and trailer are somewhat level, I could do some more adjusting to get more weight on the front wheels and more off the back.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-22-2018, 02:01 AM   #6

Ohio
When trying to figure the margin on trailer tires you need to use the weight on the trailer axle (individually if possible) when completely hooked to the TV. This is the way you are traveling.

Trailer tires should run the pressure on the tire sidewall as this will lower your "Interply Shear" as much as possible. This will lower the chance of having a belt separation.

Hopefully you will find you have at least a 15% margin of load capacity vs measured heavy axle loading.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 AM   #7

Texas
So is that 1260 tongue weight?
TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 AM   #8

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Correct... and not only to get the tongue/king pin weight, but to get the exact weight of the trailer. The truck by itself is the constant, then compute the combined numbers as necessary to get your trailer & tongue weights.
Thanks makes sense.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasBob View Post
So is that 1260 tongue weight?
I would love to be able to borrow a scale to find out what the actual tongue weight (hitch weight) of my trailer is. According to the specs, it's supposed to be 925 pounds. I imagine with all the "stuff" in it, clothes, front closet full, pots, pans, etc. It's gotta be closer to the number in the weigh sheet. Good thing I have a 5/8 ton truck.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
I would love to be able to borrow a scale to find out what the actual tongue weight (hitch weight) of my trailer is. According to the specs, it's supposed to be 925 pounds. I imagine with all the "stuff" in it, clothes, front closet full, pots, pans, etc. It's gotta be closer to the number in the weigh sheet. Good thing I have a 5/8 ton truck.
5/8? Nice gotta see pics!!!!!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
5/8? Nice gotta see pics!!!!!
Nissan Titan XD! not a half ton, not a 3/4!

Model: 2016 Nissan Titan XD
Warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/100,000 mi powertrain
Towing capacity: 11,640 to 11,920 lbs
Curb weight: 7,126 to 7,402 lbs
Horsepower: 310 hp
Payload: 1,588 to 1,674 lbs
Gross vehicle weight rating: 8,800 to 8,990 lbs
Old 07-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #12

Texas
If you weigh your truck without the trailer, then weigh it again but without the trailer axle on the scale, you can get the tongue weight. I took your GCVW of 17,640 and subtracted your trailer axle weight of 8,520 and then subtracted your truck's first weight of 7,860. Should be right.

TT Coleman 2515RL
TejasBob is offline   Reply With Quote