Trim on a Coleman Light cracking - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

Florida
Trim on a Coleman Light cracking

The 3/4 inch black trim on each front of my Coleman is cracking. (see images) Is this material commercially available?

If not what is recommended to 'replace' this material?

Jimmygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #2

Texas
I bought two fifty foot rolls of 3/4" for my TT by mistake and needed 1". It is the good JR Products stuff. PM me your address and I will send it to you, no reason to let it go to waste.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

Florida
Message sent... Thank you...
Jimmygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:16 PM   #4

Florida
Black vinyl trim.

We agree it is really substandard. We bought our model fresh off the lot just delivered. It took 6 months and ours started shrinking,first. Then it started cracking. After 47 years of camping with 6 units from pop ups to TT this material is the poorest quality we have seen.
Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Virginia
Trim on new unit cracking and expanding

Wondering if this black plastic stuff would be covered under warranty? Mine was messed up in less than a year
WyoCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #6

California
@Wyocowboy, I say why bother. If you can purchase the new trim and install it for $50 or less than go that route.

If covered by warranty that would require a trip or possibly two (one to evaluate the problem and a second to come back for your appointment for the repair) to the dealer and a long wait. You might even need to schedule an appointment for the initial estimate.

In my case each trip to the dealer takes the better part of a day and that means two trips because one for drop off and another for pickup.

If I could fix it myself for $50 and avoid all the BS then I would go that route.

In theory it should be covered by warranty no doubt but unless you have another reason to see the dealer I would just repair myself.

My two cents anyway.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #7

Virginia
I was thinking of after the next trip dropping off the tt for that work, they will take 2 months to get dutchman approval, and replacement. I can cancell my storage spot, my new garage construction work will be finished in a month and i can park next to garage. Let camping world be my storage lot for couple of months for free...
Old 09-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #8

California
I would go through everything with a fine toothed comb before you drop it. It would be a shame to not have them do some other warranty work while it is in there.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

Virginia
Good point, not sure what is all under warranty - for instance the trim around the bathroom door frame (sliding bath door) has some bowing out - might need one screw removed and then pushed in the trim as you put screws back in so it lies flat. is that a warranty issue?

already asked last 2 month repair to look at that... it was in their notes but no action. Back in Feb put my trailer in their yard to have a slide topper put on ( why they don't come with them is a con game) after three months of waiting I get it back and the topper is dragging the canvas over the wall slide out frame - yes they put that protective corner piece on it, that was what it was dragging on, the edge of the rubber corner protector... Told the roller was bent, Just complaining about service.
When I bought it, I started to open up areas like the hot water heater, on one of the brackets the screws were rusted a lot, like it was salvaged from a old trailer... dealer goes hummm.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #10

Florida
Along with the plastic cracking

To follow up on my post,the other thing we saw was the screw heads rusting. That bothered me way more than the plastic because of possible water intrusion into the side walls over time.
Oh,did I mention that our unit is out on sale?

Hwanjwcole is offline   Reply With Quote