Trailer Tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #1

Quebec
Trailer Tires

I almost hate to raise this question because there seem to be many opinions out there, but what do you folks think about using LT tires on a trailer as opposed to ST tires? Whatever your preference, what brand would you recommend from your experience. FYI - I have used 2 sets of Goodyear Marathons on a previous 5th-wheel without problems and now have a brand called Triangle on my Infinity and have had no issues so far with about 13,000 km's on it (about 9200 miles). If I have had any complaints to date with trailer tires, it is that they seem to wear much faster than truck tires.

2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #2

Wyoming
I'll be shopping for new trailer tires this year so am also interested to hear what others have to say.

Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #3

British Columbia
I bought these from Kal Tire....Carlisle....reviews seem good. There were only 2 trailer tire choices at Kal Tire...will let you folks know.

NEW. Carlisle's newest and best performing radial trailer tire.
A best-in-class trailer tire, radial construction and variable pitch design promotes tire stablility and reduces excessive heat build-up, increasing tire life. Tire profile and tread compound formulation create lower rolling resistance and increased fuel mileage. Equipped with the DuraTrail high strength belt package and HeatShield heat resistant compounding technologies. A proven leader both in field tests and by independent laboratory testing.
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

I read several other forums about RVing. For the most part everyone seems to like Maxxis trailer tires over most other brands.. Some like the Goodyear 614 (i think it is) and for the most part Carlisle's are the most disliked and seem to blow a lot of course taking out part of the trailer fender or side of the camper. This is not my opinion because I have Akurets on my RV. This information I have from reading 3 other RV forums.
The problems with Lt tires seem to carry less weight per tire and the sidewall isnt at strong as the ST tires. ST tires are specifically designed to carry trailers where as LT is designed for trucks. I am not promoting one over the other but when you back your camper and turning look at the sidewall and watch the flex. I think ST is designed to take the torture its put thru. Just my thoughts and observations
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:10 AM   #5

British Columbia
Thanks..Tanman good comments and appreciate the feedback......will report how these tires work. I'am only carry 5400lbs on a 24 footer dual axel... Not like I am towing something triple the weight or with another axel.
Thanks again
Coops
Canada
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #6

Quebec
Good comments from Tanman .... your point about sidewall stress when backing or making sharp turns is right on. Sidewall strength is probably the main reason to stick with ST tires, although (reading other RV forums) there are lots of people out there that swear by LT tires for use on trailers.

I'd still like to hear more from others. By the way, I have also heard that Maxxis is an excellent brand.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I read several other forums about RVing. For the most part everyone seems to like Maxxis trailer tires over most other brands.. Some like the Goodyear 614 (i think it is) and for the most part Carlisle's are the most disliked and seem to blow a lot of course taking out part of the trailer fender or side of the camper. This is not my opinion because I have Akurets on my RV. This information I have from reading 3 other RV forums.
The problems with Lt tires seem to carry less weight per tire and the sidewall isnt at strong as the ST tires. ST tires are specifically designed to carry trailers where as LT is designed for trucks. I am not promoting one over the other but when you back your camper and turning look at the sidewall and watch the flex. I think ST is designed to take the torture its put thru. Just my thoughts and observations
I too, have Akuret tires. These tires are made in China. I also, read other forums. People have verbally cut these tires up and called them bombs. I have approximately 7000 miles on my trailer and do not feel that I've had any negative or adverse issues with them.

I cringe when I'm backing up in a tight turn. When the axles are no longer aligned and the tires look as though they're going to fold and come right off the rim. Then as I straighten the trailer everything goes back as it was before my tight turn..........ah, sigh of relief.

I'll probably put another 3000 miles on them before we head back to Florida this Winter. Unless............they blowup .

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #8

British Columbia
Check your local MV laws, I think you will find that is illegal to use anything other than ST tires on a trailer.

If you are stopped in a road check, you could have your trailer impounded and a substantial fine.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Quebec
Well, I think all this means there is good reason to stick with ST tires! The only question remaining is brand, and Maxxis seem to have a consistently good reputation. From what I can tell though, these tires are not available in Canada so that's one of the reasons I am doing this research now. We are planning a long trip between this fall and next spring starting here (Quebec) and going west to BC then south to southern CA then back east to Georgia and back up the east coast to home. I will probably need tires before we get back so will very likely get some Maxxis while in the US.

Thanks for your input.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #10

British Columbia
Big O tires is a distributor for Maxxis, but they are only in BC. Maybe try giving them a call or email to see if they are able to help with your purchase.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I too, have Akuret tires. These tires are made in China. I also, read other forums. People have verbally cut these tires up and called them bombs. I have approximately 7000 miles on my trailer and do not feel that I've had any negative or adverse issues with them.

I cringe when I'm backing up in a tight turn. When the axles are no longer aligned and the tires look as though they're going to fold and come right off the rim. Then as I straighten the trailer everything goes back as it was before my tight turn..........ah, sigh of relief.

I'll probably put another 3000 miles on them before we head back to Florida this Winter. Unless............they blowup .
Even though my Akurets, load E, are "china bombs" they have served me quite well for close to 6000 miles. I will be putting another 1500 on them in the next couple weeks. Overall they look good. Would I buy them again..Maybe ... what will I buy next will probably be Maxxis. I check the tire pressure each trip and check the tire temp with an infrared checker. I run nitrogen in the tires which may or may not help. They came with nitrogen fills. I seldom run much faster than 60mph. I do it for fuel economy and maybe for the tires too. I have traveled as fast as 85 mph not realizing it because it trailers so smoothly. Oops is all I could say.

If there were any "magical" tire that will not blow out or factually better than any other I would buy it but there isn't. Follow your instincts and what the opinions are here on this and other boards.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #12

Quebec
Thanks Daryl, I'll check them out.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #13

I just read this information in another forum and thought of this thread which I think might help out with this discussion. This thread is basically about LT vs ST tires. Below is the comments extracted from the thread,

I was checking out replacement tires for my fiver. I emailed B.F.Goodrich telling them I wanted to replace my ST tires with LT tires and asked which Commercial T/A tire would work on my trailer. This is their response:
B.F.Goodrich replied" wrote:

ST (Special Trailer) tires are constructed with heavier materials in the casing as compared to light truck tires giving the ST tires more strength and load carrying capacity. ST tires also have a stiffer sidewall and flex less making them more compatible with the trailer’s suspension system.

We do not recommend using light truck tires on trailers that specify ST tires. If the trailer manufacturer calls for ST tires, it is important to replace with ST tires in order to maintain the load requirement.

Thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Millie
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

Maybe this helps with this discussion in the use of Lt tires.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #14

Indiana
Thanks for forwarding that info.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #15

Quebec
Yes ...... it's good to hear it 'from the horse's mouth', so to speak. Thanks.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #16

British Columbia
Daryl B...never even thought of Big O..we have one in the Loops....have always had great service and great prices with Kal Tire....

Coops

Canada