To Sway or NOT to Sway... - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #21

Texas
I have auto leveling and a second AC plus a built in vacuum cleaner. Totally agree with you on the outside storage.

A larger fuel tank would be nice. Looked a little bit last night and there may be some extended cranking issues from the 50 gallon fuel tank upgrade. Need to look into this more. Not sure the $1,200 cost is worth it over a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel in the bed to extend the range a little bit.

pctomlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
I have auto leveling and a second AC plus a built in vacuum cleaner. Totally agree with you on the outside storage.

A larger fuel tank would be nice. Looked a little bit last night and there may be some extended cranking issues from the 50 gallon fuel tank upgrade. Need to look into this more. Not sure the $1,200 cost is worth it over a couple of 5 gallon cans of diesel in the bed to extend the range a little bit.
I would put the sump in, that fixes the cranking issues..

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #23

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
I have that exact combination but 2017 models. XD with Cummins, Denali 287RE. I have a Blue Ox SwayPro hitch with 1500# bars, it is awesome. I experience no suck/spit when an eighteen wheeler passes and zero issues in a cross wind. Despite the beast behind me, it is a nice towing experience. The old Equalizer with Sway control I had with a 33' trailer and a Ford Excursion sucked and was very noisy.
I tow a Denali 289RK using a Blue Ox Sway Pro but to be honest I do feel the suction of the trucks passing me. However I don't equate this suction with sway. The Blue Ox does a great job of controlling sway but it does not prevent the physics of air currents against the large slab sides of trailer being towed at 65 MPH. I've learned not to get too excited when a truck passes me or a strong wind gust tries to push me. I just make the needed correction and move on. I've traveled over 35K miles with this setup with no problem caused by moving air. I do admit though that I slow down whenever I see a dust devil about to cross the road. No sense in tempting fate.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #24

Alberta
I have one of those basic friction sway control devices and it works great. My trailer is 32' long and pretty tall. I also live in Calgary Canada and it is windy here. Some of the fancier ones may be better but mine works great for wind and transport trucks on my rig. I think I paid $50 for it and have had it for 6 years. The built-in sway control in new trucks sure helps too.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:28 PM   #25

California
I use a ProPride hitch and my Denali tows like a 5th wheel. It's pricey but well worth it!
Markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #26

Illinois
Well as pointed out in post #2? mass plays a part in this when trailers get really long. A 37' trailer has a lot of leverage on the tow vehicle, and the lighter the TV, the more it affects handling when a Semi comes upon in. Granted a Titan has upwards of 8900 GVWR, but a 3/4-1 ton have more and are more suited for towing long trailers.

In this case it is more about the length than the weight. When a semi approaches from the rear, it's bow wave is pushing against the rear of the trailer, and the natural reaction (Newtons 3rd law comes into play) is for the front of the trailer to swing in the opposite direction, which in turn forces the rear of the truck into the same direction and the front in the opposite direction.

To counter this a good WDH with sway control is required and is a must have regardless of what it towing it, even a 1 ton benefits from one. What the sway control does is when the trailer starts to pivot on the axles such as when the bow wave forces it to, the pivot points on the sway control react and apply opposite forces to keep it straight. What the driver feels in this case is that the entire rig is moving away from the approaching semi. Then when the truck moves past and that force lessons, the entire rig will be sucked over instead of just the trailer.

The longer the trailer the more leverage it has on the TV, the stronger the movement up front becomes, and a WDH with sway control is essential.

A Blue Ox is a great example of a hitch with sway control. I have one of the 1500# ones for my measly 28' long trailer and it is rock solid behind my F150. The entire rig moves as one when semi's blow past. I did have to disable sway control on the truck though as the truck was trying to counteract the hitch when trucks went by the other way on a two lane. It was the oddest sensation, felt like the back of the truck was learning how to hula dance.

As for the 5th wheel, those are a totally different animal as there isn't the pivot point off the rear bumper like in the tag along. The pivot point is directly on the rear axle, and far less likely to have sway issues.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 with air bags and tow a 30 foot Dutchmen lite with a wdh and anti sway bar no problems
Pacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #28

Arizona
On the Denali I found online, with 3 slides, the loaded weight is 11,176# which equals ~1340#/12%, or more, of tongue weight. Your truck, if I have the right model has a max tow capacity of 11,176 and a payload capacity of 1733#. With 2 passengers @150# each and an empty bed you are 100# from maxing out the truck. Add a tank of fuel and you are overloaded. Your loaded trailer is approaching 150% of your truck weight. I don't see how you can avoid sway in the situations you have described. The tail is wagging the dog. It is certainly more trailer than I would ever pull and hope to stop in an emergency situation with your current vehicle. Not trying to be a downer but for towing math is our best friend.

While others say they do it, it is not a tow situation that I would consider safe or comfortable. If I was in love with that trailer I would move up to a 3/4 ton or bigger for the above reasons.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #29

Florida

Cut and paste this link. This is a great hitch

In addition to this hitch it's even MORE IMPORTANT that you have enough tongue weight. There's another you tube video about tongue weight that shows what COULD happen if you're to light! FYI I have the 5th wheel Denali 307RL love it!
davesullivansr@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #30

Florida
Start with load range e tires or better both tow vehicle and trailer this will get rid of mushy feeling tires also get airbags this will help I have not had a need for stabilizing bars with how I set my equipment up all my best from fla
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 AM   #31

Florida
To sway or not to sway

I found a good friction type sway bar made a big difference for me.
scudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #32

Tennessee
I pull a 289RK Denali with a ‘16 Ram 2500 4x4. I abandoned the classic WDH several years ago in favor of a Hensley Arrow. Zero sway and only an awareness when we get passed by cowboy truckers. Won’t tow without an Arrow.