Tire Choices Carlisle's or Kendal's - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

New York
Tire Choices Carlisle's or Kendal's

I tow a Coleman 194QB twin axle 2014 unit. The first year was great, no issues, made it everywhere we intended to go. Second year the same, had a blast. Last two seasons we were down due to family needing help. Just got it back out of the barn, spent four hours, cleaning waxing and buffing. Installed an aftermarket shock kit, not as easy as the instructions make it out to be, but got it done. Rotated and aired up the tires, hit the highway, pulling awsome with the shocks, very comfortable and stable. Was enjoying the drive and then it struck, thump, thump, thump, within seconds I had a blow out. I feel like I've just gone through my initiation period, I am now an experienced camper! Any way I am upgrading all of my tires to a D rated from C rated. I am down to two tires, Carlisle Radial trail HDs or Kendal Karrier surprisingly the Carlisle's are cheaper by about 45.smacks, so do I go with the more expensive Kendal's or the Carlisle's? Anyone have any comments on either, thanks!

mictin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Sounds like your tires "aged" out. Tires lose capacity as they age, can't recall the exact percentages, but it was a surprising amount to me, I want to say it was something in the 3%-5% range per year. It becomes critical when your tires are loaded to near or right at capacity to begin with.

I would go with the Carlisle, I have used them for years on my utility trailers with no problems. Don't recall having ever seen the Kendall tire for sale in this part of the country.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #3

New York
Thanks Aaron, the Kenda Karriers are on etrailer, they of course highly recommend them, I think the only other major vendor is Pep Boys. It is a huge price difference, both are made in China plants but now days that doesn't mean much. I'm figuring the Carlisle's should be fine, don't expect to get more than a few years out of any tire I buy. "Spend me some money!"
Old 09-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #4

Florida
might as well get something that will last more than a few years since a blowout on the road can tear your RV to pieces. I prefer AMERICAN made tires. Goodyear has some good choices and I see them on some of the more expensive RV's. I have had mine a year now and they have not even lost any air. Been rock solid.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #5

Arizona
Chinese bombs gonna go boom sooner of later. I saw one pop that was a non-used spare; was never on the road. I'd give Goodyear Endurance a try as they are USA made.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #6

Texas
The only tires I have had good luck with is Maxxis. They are a very good quality tire.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #7

Washington
I too have had great luck with Maxxis on two trailers I own. I have a set that's three years old with about 20,000 miles on them. They are still in great shape. Had some brand new Carlisle's that let go with very few miles on them. Perhaps they are better now I don't know.
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 AM   #8

New York
Thanks for your reply, I did do some research on the Maxxis tires, seems to have pretty good reviews and so far haven't heard anything bad about them. I appreciate everyone's input, as always a great group of people on this forum!
Old 09-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #9

Florida
I put 4 vanguard tires on my 2014 Kodiak went from Florida to cuddebackville by. An back
Putting around 2500 miles on them. They ran great. Look great. This is my first time replacing the tires in 5 yrs.
Smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mictin2 View Post
Thanks for your reply, I did do some research on the Maxxis tires, seems to have pretty good reviews and so far haven't heard anything bad about them. I appreciate everyone's input, as always a great group of people on this forum!
I had Maxxis tires on my trailer and I would have had no issues with replacing them with another set of Maxxis tires when they wore down to the 4/32" mark (after 25,000 miles) . The only reason I went with the Goodyear Endurance tires is that is what my Discount Tire store had in stock. They are both good ST tires in my opinion.