Theft of Part while at Repair Facilty - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #1

Illinois
Theft of Part while at Repair Facilty

My tale of woe continues. Selling my Voltage 3990 so I took it in to a local repair facility (Illinois) to have some minor repairs done under warranty to make sure it's perfect. That in itself was a fiasco as I made an appointment and brought it in as scheduled. Repairs to be done in two weeks. 5 weeks later get a call after my repeated status check calls that it's done. Go out next day to pick it up. First, only one of the three things I wanted fixed were covered under warranty (typical). Other repairs were done without my pre-approval. Bottom line; $600 out of pocket. Okay, maybe my fault for not specifying that I wanted to be called before repairs. Another lesson learned. I go out to hook up and discovered that someone entered the basement and stole my Lippert control panel ($271) so I can't move even take it home. Fortunately it just snaps and plugs in, so hopefully no damage. Part ordered. Should be here in two days. Dealer says his people never went into basement, implying I left it unlocked (not so). My question after the rambling post, is he liable? Not going to be an insurance claim due to $500 deductible. Good will would say he should pay I think. Legally liable? Just wondering if I'll have an argument when I go to pick up.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
My tale of woe continues. Selling my Voltage 3990 so I took it in to a local repair facility (Illinois) to have some minor repairs done under warranty to make sure it's perfect. That in itself was a fiasco as I made an appointment and brought it in as scheduled. Repairs to be done in two weeks. 5 weeks later get a call after my repeated status check calls that it's done. Go out next day to pick it up. First, only one of the three things I wanted fixed were covered under warranty (typical). Other repairs were done without my pre-approval. Bottom line; $600 out of pocket. Okay, maybe my fault for not specifying that I wanted to be called before repairs. Another lesson learned. I go out to hook up and discovered that someone entered the basement and stole my Lippert control panel ($271) so I can't move even take it home. Fortunately it just snaps and plugs in, so hopefully no damage. Part ordered. Should be here in two days. Dealer says his people never went into basement, implying I left it unlocked (not so). My question after the rambling post, is he liable? Not going to be an insurance claim due to $500 deductible. Good will would say he should pay I think. Legally liable? Just wondering if I'll have an argument when I go to pick up.
Rusty

Their word against yours if you want to do that dance. I'd ask them how they moved the RV without retracting the landing gear.

Those we rely on to do our repair work suddenly go blind and deaf when something goes mysteriously missing while in their care.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:08 PM   #3

Texas
I would say you may have a hard case if it was moved with jack's raided otherwise, like most places they don't touch the jacks just move with a forklift.

On the other hand a nice long post on all the social media outlets might wake them up to fixing or reimbursement at least.

Yelp, Facebook, etc can be your friend too!

Good luck, I hate to hear that kind of stuff happens s to good folks. Btthe way, what did they find for $600 that needed fixing?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Rusty
They probably moved it with a forklift so never used the Jacks however with that being said you obviously had to use them when you dropped it off so it had to happen at there lot under their supervision

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

Illinois
They never moved it. Not denying the theft, as I had to use the panel to drop it off. They replaced a slide motor gearbox (covered with $100 deductible), slide topper cover not retracting (fixed with no parts replacement), not covered by insurance, and back up camera replaced which also was not covered due to the old "water intrusion" clause. Pretty pricey repairs. Had I been given an estimate knowing it wasn't covered by insurance, I would have just had the topper adjusted and would have simply moved the garage camera to the outside. Again, live and learn. I'm just curious if I can hold their feet to the fire to replace the leveler panel.
Rusty
Old 05-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Ummm whats the name of the dealership …..just so others know to be careful of " CROOKS " in the parking lot
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Illinois
If they don't make it right by picking up the tab on the stolen part, I'll post. Going to give him the benefit of doubt. I'll also write Trailer Life, Yelp, BBB, and everything else I can think of.
Rusty
Old 05-25-2018, 02:39 AM   #8

California
So I guess in their mind you brought it in to blame them for the missing part. Great move on your part!

How about when I brought mine in to have the fuel gauge fixed and I come out and it reads completely full in the digital in a 30 gallon tank. I say “did you really top off my tank with 30 gallons of fuel, because I have heard these gauges will often read totally full or totally empty when broken”. His response was “yep, I watched them fill it myself”.

So after about an hour running my generator it stops and the fuel caddy won’t pump anything. Totally empty tank AND the gauge still reads full. So I guess I ran through 30 gallons of fuel AND my gauge broke (again) by running my generator for an hour. How is that for a bold faced lie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk