Theft during service! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Colorado
Theft during service!

Hi all, we are currently traveling full time in our 27' Kodiak. We took a break from the camper (after a year) and flew to Costa Rica for 3 1/2 weeks. We were in So Cal when we left and decided to drop the camper off for some service work while we were away. Not only did it save us an insane storage fee but also allowed for us to have a few issues fixed, a win - win.
My wife was pretty stressed about leaving our camper there with most of our life in it but I wasn't too concerned as it's a major dealer. Well, we got it back and I towed it to a house we are VRBOing for a month. I went in it the next day to grab my Apple TV to take in the house and it's gone. Cords are still there but box and remote are gone
I left the service writer a message and emailed him last night. Still waiting to hear back. I assume though they take no responsibility for this type of thing? That got me thinking though, for those of us full time what do you do with your stuff when having service work done? It's certainly not reasonable to clean out the camper! Luckily we also had 4 fairly high end biked in there, taken apart and under blankets on the bed. Those were still there! Probably because the Apple TV can go right in a pocket, etc.
So, in the end it's a $150 theft. Not a huge deal but it just sucks. Gotta rethink leaving our camper for service in the future. I already do 80% of our work. Might be time to try doing it all.

rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
That does stink for sure. Even though we are not full timing, I get nervous leaving expensive gear when dropping off for service. Locks are only for honest people. The worst loss we incurred was in 2015 at camping world, lost 3/4 tank of generator gas. I got a terse apology and was told they are not responsible for any losses.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

New Jersey
That sucks. We leave most of the stuff in the TH when in for service. Since it's been out of warranty, any service I don't do is handled by a local dealer in our town. I'm on a first name basis with the service manager and service writer, trust their techs. So far no issues.

I always remove the following before leaving the trailer: passports, cash, any financial or confidential paperwork, network storage hard drive with backups and confidential information, motorcycle, helmets, kayaks, bicycles, Condor pit stop chock, bogie boards, tool bag, air compressor, Etc. We clean out the refrigerator, and take any clothes or other items we think we might need. As service is only 20 minutes away, we could run over if there was something we really needed.

I leave the two Apple TV boxes, Amazon Fire TV box, cable modem, Apple wi-fi router, and 3 TVs. While it would be annoying if they got stolen, those are all easily replaced. Have to balance risk/importance of loss with hassle of removing items.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #4

Colorado
Yup

Yea, like I said, big picture it's just a $150 Apple TV, not that big of a deal. It just has me really rethinking how we'll handle potential service issues in the future! We are on the West coast now and we have a storage unit in Colorado. It's not practical to "empty" the camper. Oh well, maybe this was just bad luck and hopefully I won't need to drop it off again anywhere for a long time!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 AM   #5

Arizona
Perhaps your theft allegation would carry more weight if you had inspected the trailer at the dealer and found the Apple TV missing prior to taking it home.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:18 AM   #6

Colorado
Yea, that would have been great huh? When we dropped it off we had 6 fairly high end bicycles we travel with. We ere able to put 3 in our SUV and had to leave the other 3 in the trailer. I didn't consider anything else in the camper to be of real "value" except those 3 bikes. When we picked up I saw the bikes were still there, breathed a sigh of relief and hooked up.
On a positive note I've been in contact with my service writer and they are reimbursing me for the lose. I'm pretty shocked and pleasantly surprised. My pick up of the camper was a mess with problems not handles etc but this shows me they are a stand up company and I'll certainly give them another chance if I have a need in the future