The sealant thread - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #1

Tennessee
The sealant thread

We all know DICOR is the stuff to use on the roof and Eternabond is great also but what about the sidewalls? Dutchmen says silicone and that's what I'll use till the "warranty" is up but it's not my favorite product. Is there something better? If so, how do I remove the silicone? What about around the windows? Mine are single pane but appear to be sealed with a black foam type product, not grey butyl and silicone like I've always had before. School me...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Old 09-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Avoid silicone at all costs. Once it is on there NOTHING will stick to it when it goes bad, not even more silicone. To remove existing silicone takes a lot of elbow grease, cussing and then a chemical remover to get the residue off. Once you are done with that I usually use a double system of a butyl sealant (tape or tube) with urethane based colored sealant to finish off. The butyl goes in between whatever you are sealing, it needs to be in compression, then use the urethane to close off the outside gap and finish the sealing job. NP-1 and Trempro 635 are a couple of the urethane sealants that I use regularly. I will have to check what the other stuff is that I have. Key point is to stay away from silicone!

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Tennessee
Thanks Aaron, I've never heard of TremPro or NP-1, have to look into those.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #4

Tennessee
Geocel Pro flex RV sealant is also excellent for horizontal surfaces. Just have some mineral spirits around for cleanup.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Geocel Pro flex RV sealant is also excellent for horizontal surfaces. Just have some mineral spirits around for cleanup.
^^^ x2!!!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

Texas
To quote a line from Forrest Whittaker to John Travolta in Phenomenon...

"Yaw know SO much"

Even as a relative RV rookie, I quickly learned from the RV world about the 2 Dicor products. I was happy and felt I needed to know nothing more.
Then the Eternabond tape knowledge followed shortly there after as another fine tool for such needs.

But now? In minutes there is an extended lists that gets suggested by guys on here that I thoroughly trust!

Dicor horizontal
Dicor Vertical
Eternabond Tape
Geocel Pro flex RV sealant
NP-1
Trempro 635
I guess I'm wondering how ya find out that other stuff works after learning about the defacto standard Dicor\Eternabond products? What made you even take a chance?

Gutsy moves. But I'm grateful, I promise.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
VERTICAL SURFACES!!! The up and down ones.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
To quote a line from Forrest Whittaker to John Travolta in Phenomenon...

"Yaw know SO much"

Even as a relative RV rookie, I quickly learned from the RV world about the 2 Dicor products. I was happy and felt I needed to know nothing more.
Then the Eternabond tape knowledge followed shortly there after as another fine tool for such needs.

But now? In minutes there is an extended lists that gets suggested by guys on here that I thoroughly trust!

Dicor horizontal
Dicor Vertical
Eternabond Tape
Geocel Pro flex RV sealant
NP-1
Trempro 635
I guess I'm wondering how ya find out that other stuff works after learning about the defacto standard Dicor\Eternabond products? What made you even take a chance?

Gutsy moves. But I'm grateful, I promise.
Been working with metal and other building materials for close to 40 years. RV's longer than that.

Restored a couple of Airstreams, and have done repairs on a lot of other brands over the years. Water intrusion is ALWAYS the enemy on RV's and most buildings. I have made a good living keeping it out.

Aaron[emoji41]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 AM   #9

Tennessee
I love me some eternabond and when the warranty is up it's going on every surface that cosmetically makes sense. Has anyone ever used the double-sided on the corner trim?

Old 09-29-2017, 04:05 AM   #10

Texas
Which warranty?

I've learned enough here to know I don't want to find out if I have one.

The brutal part of Texas summer is hinting that it's fixing to adios! And I'm thinking Aaron hits the nail on the head when he declares "water is the enemy of RV's".

So, there's probably nothing I could do to extend the life of my "home" than to declare all out war on the ROOF. The factory work, although hideously sloppy looking, has worked for 1 ½ years. But I'm gonna do my utmost to remove their clumps and piles and gobs with nicely organized and conscientious seals.

Like you, that tape is awful appealing in my minds eye. I'll take all the advice I can get though.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #11

Oregon
One more thing to think about, I just learned that the roof on my 2017 Coleman 300tq is a TPO roof by Alpha Superflex systems. They don't want you to use Dicor on their roofing material. You have to use Alpha sealants. Dicor does sell a sealant specifically for TPO but I think I would go with the product recommended by the roof membrane manufacturer.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...Like you, that tape is awful appealing in my minds eye...
I had it on the Forest River for over 2 years and it was still stuck tight as new when I traded it.

I know technicians don't normally care for it because it's so hard to remove when compared to DICOR. I have some on my Coleman around the bathroom vent. When I installed the vent cover there were several screws the factory installed that didn't go into the roof deck and they were protruding through the DICOR. It was about to rain and all I had was Eternabond.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
One more thing to think about, I just learned that the roof on my 2017 Coleman 300tq is a TPO roof by Alpha Superflex systems. They don't want you to use Dicor on their roofing material. You have to use Alpha sealants. Dicor does sell a sealant specifically for TPO but I think I would go with the product recommended by the roof membrane manufacturer.
TPO is actually pretty durable stuff. As long as you use a sealant that is compatible with it there shouldn't be any issues. I know they claim to maintain the "warranty" you are supposed to use their product. Read the actual warranty and you will find that it is written to protect the manufacturer NOT the consumer.

TPO is a bit of a bastard stepchild when it comes to roofing systems. The basic chemical make up is Thermal Poly Olefin, the formulation of the chemicals varies between manufacturers, they are constantly tweaking it so what was TPO yesterday may be different today and perform slightly differently. I have seen a couple of commercial TPO roofs fail pretty spectacularly when they got it wrong. My personal preference is a properly engineered PVC roof system, but they are more expensive. There are some on the market that have been the same formulation for over 40 years. But due to the cost you will probably never find them on an RV.

Aaron
Old 10-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Tennessee
Aaron, what type of sealant is this around my windows? Dutchmen Customer Service says it's black silicone but it doesn't look like it to me. It appears to be some type of tape. The appearance is too consistent to be a hand applied sealant.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
Aaron, what type of sealant is this around my windows? Dutchmen Customer Service says it's black silicone but it doesn't look like it to me. It appears to be some type of tape. The appearance is too consistent to be a hand applied sealant.

Aaron knows the name of that sealer, I just can't remember what it is at the moment.
I will say there doesn't exist in the Dutchman world (sighted or not) a recknition that could lay a bead like on the their best day.
Truth be known, the sealer probably comes pre-installed from the window factory.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
... Truth be known, the sealer probably comes pre-installed from the window factory.
That's what I think too, it looks too perfect to be done on the Dutchman assembly line. Course it could have been done by the new guy before they trained him [emoji1]

Old 10-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Is that a closed cell foam seal?

Aaron
Old 10-08-2017, 02:12 AM   #18

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Is that a closed cell foam seal?

Aaron
Looks and feels like a foam to me. Customer Service says I must check the silicone caulk around the windows but all I have is this.

I would think silicone may even damage it, any thoughts.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Silicone would be the last thing I would put on my camper. If the seals are tight and there are no signs of leaks you should be fine. When and if they need sealing I would go with either a urethane or something like the Geocel Proflex RV. The Proflex is not supposed to be used with TPO, use the Dicor with that.

I have very little faith in the RV industry and the knowledge of their Customer Service reps, as well as the installers.

This maybe what they used, I just ran across this while looking for something else.
Mine still has the foam seals around the windows and cargo bay doors.

Aaron
Old 10-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post

my guess would be that it is a gasket applied at the window factory and not actually a "sealant" but a seal.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote