Tank Monitors - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #1

Alabama
Angry Tank Monitors

I have a 2016 Denali 287RE, I have a question and need help. On my blackwater holding tank when you press the button to check the level, it shows "full" all of the time. Right now it is completely empty but all 4 lights come on indicating it's full. Can anybody help that may have a solution?

rwgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #2

Massachusetts
paper stuck to sensor ....
I have a wand to rinse tank out on occasion
works great ... is clean and sensors work again

Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 AM   #3

Alabama
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #4

Massachusetts
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...ords=tank+wand
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
paper stuck to sensor ....
I have a wand to rinse tank out on occasion
works great ... is clean and sensors work again

~THIS~

I also have a 2016 287RE. I also purchased the COMMANDO TANK CLEANER. Filled the tank and drove to my next destination. By the way, did yours come that way? Is it used? If it's new, you may have an issue with the sensor.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

Texas
I live in one of my RV's full time. So I do have the advantage of being connected to a dedicated septic system, thus no worry.

But even so, I just don't trust those OEM tank monitor LED's.

I can look straight down the throat of the toilet and see clearly when the tank is getting rather full. THAT, I can trust.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #7

Montana
You'll be chasing this forever as these sensors are notorious for this. I suggest not relying on the LED indicators and instead just look down the toilet when the flap is open or make guestimates based on how long since last dump and/or level of fresh water remaining if boondocking.
Many people will put water softener in the tanks to add some slipperiness to the tank walls, this seems to help the sensors from getting things stuck to them. But it still happens. Google the "geo method".
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgates View Post
I have a 2016 Denali 287RE, I have a question and need help. On my blackwater holding tank when you press the button to check the level, it shows "full" all of the time. Right now it is completely empty but all 4 lights come on indicating it's full. Can anybody help that may have a solution?
First welcome to the Forum, anyone who owns an RV will tell you that the sensors are anything but accurate and maintenance free. I purchased my latest RV used and the previous owner used the toilet as it was meant to be used. My wife and I on the other hand only use it for liquid, all other goes to the campground washrooms, we have had the same issue as you and many others since we owned it.

My first purchase was a clear extension to the drain system so I would watch what was draining out, watching for clear liquid as an indication that I hand rinsed everything out. I tried the on board flushing system (I have a 5re) still the sensor read full, tried multiple additive and enzymes, even the ice and drive around method, still read full, next heard about the Geo method, bought the Calgon and laundry soap and did it for multiple months, no improvement. Last time I was into my local RV store I talked to the parts guy about replacing the sensor with new Horst miracle probes (look them up if you don't what they are) and he recommended that before I went to that level I try a product called "RV Boss Level gauge cleaner for RV black tanks" I though what the hell nothing else has worked. I had a few weeks off the camping circuit so I filled the tank and dumped in the proper amount and left it for three weeks. I had tried this before for this length of time but never with this product in and nothing else worked. After three weeks with the RV Boss product in it, I drove to my next campsite about an hours drive and dumped on arrival when I dumped it and the water coming out the of black tank was brown, even my wife asked if I had used the toilet for none liquid use. which I hadn't. I ran the built in flushing system and for the first time my gauge now reads empty. I will continue to use this product every time I empty my tanks from now on.

Only time will tell if this continue to read better. Even though remember that the sensor are only so accurate.

Good luck if you try the same product. Oh and I have a couple of container of liquid Calgon to give away if anyone wants to try the Geo method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv boss.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	4465  

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...I can look straight down the throat of the toilet and see clearly when the tank is getting rather full. THAT, I can trust.
In the southeast we call that the corn method, if you look down and see corn its time to move the outhouse [emoji39]

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lantern View Post
In the southeast we call that the corn method, if you look down and see corn its time to move the outhouse [emoji39]

Sitting at my work desk (Yea, I actually went in today since my errands got me closer to the office than my 213) when I read this. At that very moment I was inserting a fresh portion of Grizzly-Long-Cut-Straight into my mouth.

I put it back in the tin. Maybe later.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Florida
Tank sensors

Do not waste you time and money on tank cleaners. All the sensors in RV sux and do not read right. Just use lots of water in the black water tank. Tank deodorizes do not work it still smells after awhile. The grey water smells like rotten eggs after a few days. Just flush with lots of water. Try to make it quick when others are waiting to dump!! Nobody likes to be behind a slow poke tank flusher even if they say "take your time"
masterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
...At that very moment I was inserting a fresh portion of Grizzly-Long-Cut-Straight into my mouth...
I sure miss those days, dentist found a "spot" and sent me to an oral surgeon. It was nothing but it scared the spit right out of me.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #13

Alabama
Thanks for all of the input. I don't rely on the sensors, it just bugs the crap, no pun intended, out of me when something doesn't work like it's supposed to! But owning an RV I guess you gotta get used to that. Anyway, gotta go, time to move the out house!!