Storing rig for winter - propane cylinders? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #1

Oregon
Storing rig for winter - propane cylinders?

Any thoughts about filling up cylinders before storing trailer for the winter? Or, should one wait until spring to fill em’ when the LP will be fresh? Or, does it just not matter?

Remember an old auto shop teacher telling us that a full gas tank was better because it helped keep down condensation in the tank and hence, the fuel. Not sure if that was BS or just late sixties wisdom.

Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:51 AM   #2

South Carolina
Propane has a long shelf life; it doesn't go bad with a few months. It might even last years. I say fill them up. Consider them a source of heat if your power goes out. Either with the RV heater, or with a small propane space heater.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Your shop teacher was correct. Gasoline tanks are vented to the outside. Water tends to accumulate inside the tank as temperatures rise and fall. Corrosion and fuel contamination occur. Oxygen is drawn in and damages the fuel.

Propane tanks are sealed and under pressure. Moisture only comes from the fuel itself. As far as I can tell, propane will not corrode the tank unless it is contaminated from the source.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Propane has an insanely long shelf life. I usually top my tanks up prior to storing for the winter, that way I have one less thing to worry about come spring.

We were cleaning out one of the old barns on the property prior to disassembling it. Found a couple of old (1950s) LP tanks that used to feed the cookstove in the old house. That house has been gone since 1968. The LP in the tanks was still good, used it to run my LP space heater.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #5

Alabama
Propane lasts forever. I have tanks filled 11 years ago tried out and they worked good as new.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #6

Colorado
propane non issues

So propane has a couple of hidden properties that almost never show up, but should at least be mentioned.

There is Winter propane and Summer propane. I once filled up in south Texas and had a problem when I wintered in Colorado. There are additives that cold weather climes add to propane.

Even with additives, propane can turn to liquid in cold weather. This can create problems if you try to use your propane in very cold weather.

Propane filters can help a lot. I run a propane filter on my entire coach. I never worry about propane problems.

These are rare things, but it could matter.

leisuresolar@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote