'Sploding Tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #1

Colorado
'Sploding Tires

Dropped my hauler off at my storage center and there was a Cyclone 3800 there with the driver's side fender completely destroyed because of an exploding tire. About $3500 according to the repair guy working on it. I am surprised this issue has not risen to the NTSB level of scrutiny either in terms of the performance of the crappy foreign tires or the OEM's simply not putting the right or good enough tires on the trailers.

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Dropped my hauler off at my storage center and there was a Cyclone 3800 there with the driver's side fender completely destroyed because of an exploding tire. About $3500 according to the repair guy working on it. I am surprised this issue has not risen to the NTSB level of scrutiny either in terms of the performance of the crappy foreign tires or the OEM's simply not putting the right or good enough tires on the trailers.
NTSB isn't as worried about RV's as other things...

Also exploding trailer tires have been going on for a long, long time.

My CM16FBS came with C range load tires which are marginal, I will be upgrading to D range shortly. The single biggest killer of tires is heat, caused by under pressure, overloading and over speed, road debris finishes a distant fourth. ST aka trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph.

FWIW I can only find one tire in the 14" D load range, happens to be a Kenda. There are very few US trailer tire manufacturers left, and they only make some sizes.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
Out if curiosity, what tire was on that 3800. Did ya see? Towmax?
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #4

Arizona
Brand name doesn't matter, if the tire comes from China get rid of it - it's junk. I've seen Chinese tires blow up on trailers being delivered from the factory, so age doesn't matter. I've seen tires mounted as a spare blow up, so use and pressure don't matter. I replaced all 6 Chinese tires on my new 3600 with Michelin XPS Ribs - a truck tire. I no longer worry about my tires blowing up. Can't blame the trailer builder as they really only have Chinese-made tires to choose from. Maxxis seem to be a good ST tire but they're made in Thailand (or whatever the place is called now). Oh, and the government could care less about our ST tires because people don't ride in trailers.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Brand name doesn't matter, if the tire comes from China get rid of it - it's junk. I've seen Chinese tires blow up on trailers being delivered from the factory, so age doesn't matter. I've seen tires mounted as a spare blow up, so use and pressure don't matter. I replaced all 6 Chinese tires on my new 3600 with Michelin XPS Ribs - a truck tire. I no longer worry about my tires blowing up. Can't blame the trailer builder as they really only have Chinese-made tires to choose from. Maxxis seem to be a good ST tire but they're made in Thailand (or whatever the place is called now). Oh, and the government could care less about our ST tires because people don't ride in trailers.
Only problem is there AREN'T any US manufacturers for many of the tires sizes that trailers require. Mine runs 205/74R14, it is Chinese or nothing. No clue why the US manufacturers stopped making trailer tires.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #6

Texas
MisterScott,
Good luck with your next tire selection. The NTSB only has about 500 employees and NO regulation authority (I know, I was shocked myself that the primary safety organization in our government is undermanned and without any real power).
The manufacturers adhere to the motto "the min wasn't good enough there wouldn't be a min."
Old 07-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmac View Post
MisterScott,
Good luck with your next tire selection. The NTSB only has about 500 employees and NO regulation authority (I know, I was shocked myself that the primary safety organization in our government is undermanned and without any real power).
The manufacturers adhere to the motto "the min wasn't good enough there wouldn't be a min."
Yep and the RV manufacturers use the bare minimum tires to get the camper from the factory to the dealer, then it's the " we didn't make the tires".

I went from Load Range E to G and I see a big difference in the tire wear. The stiffer side wall makes for less squirm.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote