Spare tire question - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #1

Spare tire question

Took my RV to the dealer a while ago and realized that it no longer has the spare tire cover. I also noticed the spare rim is a white steel rim but I was expecting it to be alloy like the other 4. Haven't called the dealer yet because wanted your thoughts before speaking with them. Are all the spares steel? I have a 2012 Denali 311BHDS TT. Thanks, JC

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #2

Re: Spare tire question

Not to sure JC. I haven't looked at mine yet, but i will & let you know what i have...

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Community Founder

I wouldn't think the factory would use an Alloy wheel for a spare. They are trying to save $$.
My last 3 trailers had Alloy wheels with a steel spare on each.
eRVm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #4

British Columbia

My spare is also steel, I didn't expect to get an alloy wheel. Last trailer was the same, build em as cheap as possible. Just a note, If you decide to replace the tire cover put a plastic bag over the tire prior to the cover and it will stop the bleed through that discolors the cover. My dealer uses plastic shipping wrap and works well without trapping water.

Daryl
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I also called the dealer and they confirmed the same. So I must have had the cover stolen or it simply came off during travels. Either way, no biggie.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #6

South Dakota
I have a 2016 travel trailer with four nice aluminum wheels from factory. The factory put a steel rimed spare on the back of camper. My neighbor who have owned trailers all his life saw my tire when I was removing the tire cover to clean and check pressure before a trip.

Neighbor said that should be a aluminum rim on my spare and not a steel one as your aluminum rims are flat to hub and that steel tire has a indentation in the rim of the steel and that it would not seat correctly to my axle hub??? ( I was like what? ) Then he told me a story about his tire sheering off the trailer due to wrong wheel for hub and he even used an impact wrench which we carry too in the truck. Why would that happen????

So my question is should I call the factory who made this rig as I feel they will tell me nothing. Should I replace me steel rim with an aluminum one for safety reasons? I am confused and do not want a tire coming off the camper while going down the road if we had to use the steel rimmed tire on the hub that we have on trailer.

Help?

Donna
delisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

New Jersey
I’ve had steel spares on my 3 trailers. I did receive different lug nuts for use on the steel rim on one trailer. I’ve never heard of different hub for steel or alloy wheels. I have heard of cases where lug nuts were over tightened with an impact gun, stretched the studs, and they shared off.

Personally, I never use an Impact gun to install lug nuts. You should use a torque wrench. Best practice is to periodically check wheel lug torque. If wheels are removed, be sure to check after 500 miles.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #8

South Dakota
he has an electric torque wrench i meant. I misunderstood him. why different lug nuts? and how could I find out if that spare requires different lug nuts as he says it is not gonna make a good contact with the hub due to the indentation in the wheel
delisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #9

Florida
I have a steel spare. My cover blew off when I was on my second trip. Guy in a Corvette pulled up next to me to let me know. By that time, wasn't going to turn around to chase it.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

New Jersey
I assume it’s an electric Impact driver, not a torque wrench; unless it allows you to set max torque.

The reason I had different lug nuts for the steel spare was the matting surface on the steel where the lug nut goes was different from the fitting on the alloy wheel, hence the different lug nuts. You’d have to ask the manufacturer if that applies in your case.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by “it’s not going to make good contact with the hub due to the indentation”. The back of both the steel and alloy wheels make contact with the brake drum. The lug nuts are used to secure the wheel against the brake drum. As long as the wheel makes solid contact with the drum, and aligns with the bolt patter, you are fine (I’m leaving wheel offset out of the discussion). The hub goes through the hole in the middle of the wheel, and does not need to make contact with the wheel.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Michigan
Is your neighbor prone to BS?
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:54 AM   #12

Texas
Lug Nuts

One thing to consider is this. My alloy wheels have a closed top on the lug nuts. If the steel wheel is thinner than the alloy wheel the lug nut can bottom out without tightening. The old style open lug nut will tighten down properly. Good idea to always carry a few of the open top lug nuts.

2004 GMC Envoy
2010 Aerolite 718QB
welmack is offline   Reply With Quote