So how do you store your TT when your not using it? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #1

Michigan
So how do you store your TT when your not using it?

Ok! We have been storing our TT's in a storage facility. Last fall we purchased a property that has room to keep our TT at home. But, there's not a spot in the yard to put it at the moment. We have room behind my new designated shop to store a couple of them if I put in a new drive. So that is one of my project's that is high on my list of "to do's"!

My question to you is how do you store your TT when not in use, in a storage facility, at home? Is it stored out in the weather, use a cover, inside storage? ------- I look forward to hearing from you!

My plan is to create a gravel drive/parking spot then upgrade to a pole barn type roof over, then enclose to a full barn. Ya! dream'en here!

Currently TT is in a storage facility as it would be in the road here while do'ing the upgrades needed.

So how are you dealing with the storage problems? (on site pictures would be appreciated)!

Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 AM   #2

Indiana
Aronious,

I've had three other 5ers (5th wheels) previous to this one that I own now.

I stored the first one in a pole barn at a County Fair facility.

I stored the second one with a tarp over it for one season. I stopped doing that due to more dust and dirt being on it when I lifted the tarp. The rest of the seasons I parked it beside my business garage with no covering.

The third one I built a gravel pad beside a shed at my home.

This Infinity that I have now basically resides in Florida during foul weather. When I bring it home it sets on the same gravel pad that had been created for the other 5ers.

In our neck of the woods I would probably say that the snow built up on the roof is a major reason to have a winter roof over the 5er.

In another note I'd like to mention that your unit does not look like a TT (travel trailer). A travel trailer is a bumper hitch. Your unit has the appearance of a 5th wheel toy hauler or 5er. Obviously, bed mounted. Am I correct?

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Michigan
Ya! Sorry! A travel trailer to me was something you could sleep in that was mounted on wheels and tow behind a tow vehicle. I guess I didn't differentiate between tow-behind and fifth-wheel mounted. Yes, ours is fifth-wheel mounted to the tow-vehicle. But it is also a Toy-hauler. I was trying to not make that distinction of the difference between types of tow units. My concern was how you store what ever type unit you have. I was sort of looking for some incite as to how others store and deal with storing their RV's! If the forum could come up with a good way to store said towed vehicle without the expense of a pole-barn type structure I would be all fore it! I was just not sure that a canvas cover was the way to go. My experience with covers on motorcycles is much the same as you describe. So thank you for you input on how you store your towed unit how ever you want to abbreviate how it is described. They all suffer the same effects from the elements and as a high dollar investment probably deserve some type of protection more than that they don't receive in most rental storage locations. Our's is an open air spot that it is backed into and all the crap from the downriver industry's south of Detroit and other airborne pollutants leave their deposits on ours at it's storage location currently.
Again thanks for your imput!!
Two Harleys
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #4

Michigan
Our snow load here just north of Monroe is not as great a problem as others would have, say in Maine, but as ours always returns to home after each trip I am looking forward to being able to keep it at the house where it is handy to pittle with the various things I would like to tinker with. And it is tiring to have to clean the sucker every time we take it out for maybe just a weekend. Much better to just hook, load, and go!!

The last place we lived in was a temporary residence while we looked for a new home after selling our previous home. I had pulled the Toy-hauler on to the street to clean and prep for our first trip last year, and about 3 hours after I parked it there the local city official stopped and had a "friendly" chat with me informing me that in this city I was only allowed to park it on the street for a couple of hours to load and/or unload for/from an impending trip. I was not allow to charge the battery's back to full strength, or to clean the outside of the trailer at that curb side location.

Our storage facility does not have water or electric available. Electric I could deal with with the on-board genny, but the water availability was a problem. So I am really looking forward to keeping the unit at home like I was able to do a couple of property's ago.

The additional driveway needed is already in the works, but as to any kind of cover that is up in the air.
Two Harleys
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #5

Michigan
Hey! Just had another thought! Of those of you that store your trailer at home, how many have a dump station that you can dump the gray and black into. Of those that do, is it accessed to city sewers, or home septic system?
Two Harleys
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Texas
Mine lives at a storage facility with cement floor and metal barn roof. I have electric and access to a wash bay.
dave56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #7

New York
From early May thru October it is stored at home on a black top pad next to the garage with a 30 amp dedicated service for it. From the end of October till May it is stored inside a barn with a cement floor.....and many cats.....DH was just talking about when we might be able to get the TH out of storage...but it snowed again yesterday and we still have about a foot of snow in the un-plowed areas of the yard so it maybe another month before we get her out!!!!

We have septic and our plumber is going to put a clean out in line for us for a dump station!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #8

Michigan
So Dave56, Wow! if our storage was like yours and a little closer to the house I might forget about putting in the new drive! Nawwwww!

Nana & Poppy, So Ya! Snow sucks for an RV'er. Back in the day when I had snowmobiles, (back then they were about $800.00), I couldn't wait for decent snow, now it's just a pain in my back and a chill to my bones!! Ya! Cleanout! That's neat! Back about three or four places ago I had water and 30A electric on three dedicated RV sights two of which had ---- errrrrrr ------- septic clean-outs by them. One for ours and two just in case friends showed up which happened almost every weekend in the summer.

So do you prefer the black top pad to say a gravel pad with a chipped stone surface?

I already have almost enough stone on the other two drives to cover a RV storage pad as I plan on scraping them off and black toping them. The little lady's not happy about the way the stones track into the house, -----Hey! Wait! I think I just answered my own question.
Two Harleys
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #9

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
From early May thru October it is stored at home on a black top pad next to the garage with a 30 amp dedicated service for it. From the end of October till May it is stored inside a barn with a cement floor.....and many cats.....DH was just talking about when we might be able to get the TH out of storage...but it snowed again yesterday and we still have about a foot of snow in the un-plowed areas of the yard so it maybe another month before we get her out!!!!

We have septic and our plumber is going to put a clean out in line for us for a dump station!
It's a beautiful thing if you have a dump area at home. We have septic, also. My wife won't allow me drive on our lawn . If I place a dump cleanout at our septic I would have to use my "sewer buddy". I'll just make sure I'm empty before I leave a camping site, for now.

I hope your snow will be gone by May 1st.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Ohio
we store ours at morrow oh in a lock storage lot you need a code to get in
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #11

Saskatchewan
We have a 40'x60' steel shed with 12'x14' overhead doors, concrete floor, 30 amp service. It's there when not in use and during the offseason.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post

I hope your snow will be gone by May 1st.
Sun has been out for two days now...so hopefullly it will go faster rather than slower.
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #13

Mine is
  • in the front yard near the road as it is slightly higher ground there
  • not covered
  • not tied into home septic
  • and runs off a 15amp extension cord

Wish list -
  • put in an outside hose at the house (froze & broke years ago and we never replaced)
  • put in a gravel pad pad next to the house to eliminate the soupy side yard issue
  • add into the home septic when we replace the existing challenged septic tank
  • wire a 30 amp outside outlet
Old 04-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
We also store ours in Findlay, Oh in a locked storage. Everyone has there own code. It is just gravel. We have had a 5er of some brand there for 10 years and a utility trailer. Never had a problem and I really have not seen any issues with the weather. I keep it waxed and the roof clean.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #15

Michigan
Thanks to all that had input on the thread.
Phase one was to query the forum as to how and where you store your RV.
Phase two of our plan has begun.
Working on moving the drive in front of the shop to the left so I can just back straight in beside it. 43 by 22 ft gravel pad to set it on until we decide what Phase three will be. Moving the drive is because the county road commission will only allow 24 ft of driveway on the road
Oh ya, and 28 yards of new concrete going in, I won't have to wash vehicles in the mud anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3788.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	488  
Two Harleys
Old 05-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronious View Post
Thanks to all that had input on the thread.
Phase one was to query the forum as to how and where you store your RV.
Phase two of our plan has begun.
Working on moving the drive in front of the shop to the left so I can just back straight in beside it. 43 by 22 ft gravel pad to set it on until we decide what Phase three will be. Moving the drive is because the county road commission will only allow 24 ft of driveway on the road
Oh ya, and 28 yards of new concrete going in, I won't have to wash vehicles in the mud anymore!
We store our 3750 in front of our barn. It is always packed and ready to go. The fridge is left on and the auto vents are on and set to come on when it reaches 75 degrees in the rig. There are always two windows open about an inch to provide fresh air. That is what is nice about the crank out "awning" type windows. Fresh air in and rain stays out.

Have even been thinking about even putting a couple of dorade boxes in.
Dorade box
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A cutaway diagram of a Dorade Box. The red arrows show the desired airflow (into the cabin) and the blue arrows show the desired water flow (out the scupper onto the deck). The grey area indicates the deck of the boat.
A dorade box (also called a dorade vent, collector box, Charlie Noble or simply a "ventilator") is a type of vent that permits the passage of air in and out of the cabin or engine room of a boat while keeping rain, spray, and sea wash out.
The basic form is a low, rectangular box fixed to the deck or cabin top, fitted with interleaving vertical baffles. The baffles alternate to be free at the floor of the box, or free at the ceiling, forming a series of chambers.
A horn-shaped ventilation cowl is usually fitted facing alee to a large hole at the top of the chamber at one end of the box with another large hole opening down into the boat from the chamber at the other end. Limber holes perforate the wall of the box at the floor of each chamber.
Dorade boxes operate on the principle that air can pass relatively freely through the chambers, yet rain or sea wash will be trapped in successive chambers and drain out the small holes in the sides of the box.
The principle can be applied to other forms. For example, one variant has a circular layout with the baffles as concentric rings.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #17

British Columbia
Pic of the dorad box ...very cool

Thanks Goldenyears for this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	493  
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #18

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Thanks Goldenyears for this
This works very well on sailboats. It will even keep out green water (well for the most part) when it washes over the deck.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote