So How Do You Keep Your Awnings Clean? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

Wyoming
So How Do You Keep Your Awnings Clean?

Seems like a simple enough question & topic, but I'm looking for any tips you guys may have about cleaning your awnings... specifically on how you remove stains and/or mildew on the underside on the awning.

I'm sitting outside as I type this, watching a football game on the exterior TV. As I look up at my awning, I'm seeing just how dirty the underside of it really is... particularly in the area near where it connects to the rig, I've got quite a bit of mildew.

Now of course, I can get the hose to spray it, and use a brush on a long pole to scrub it a bit... but I've done that before with very little success. And even the areas I have previously managed to clean pretty well, are filthy again within a few days.

I try to not roll them up when wet, but when I do... I always try to extend them again as soon as possible to let them dry out. Even still, I can see mildew marks along the axis from where it was rolled.

So is there anything that can be sprayed on the underside that'll soak in & penetrate the stains before simply dripping off... or am I going to have to remove them completely from the rig to get them clean?

Suggestions welcome...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Indiana
They are a nuisance! I've threatened to cut it off and throw it away. Never to be seen again. Although, I do live in the real world........the wife likes it and it gives good shade on those sunny days.

I spray a simple green or awning cleaner spray, real heavy, on the underneath where the mildew is. I spray top and bottom of awning all over. I scrub with a long handled semi-hard bristle brush. At times I've sprayed the simple green and rolled the awning back up for a little while to soak in. Don't know whether that helps any .............I still have to scrub it after.

Cleaning an awning is just one of those unpleasant chores. Sometimes its just easier to have another cold one and plan on doing it tomorrow..........if tomorrow ever comes.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Tennessee
I just spent a good hour or so scrubbing mildew off my brand new awning after it spent 6 weeks at the dealer, needlees to say I was overjoyed. I had some "specialty " mold remover that wouldn't touch it. Finally I tried some RV black streak and bug remover made by Thetford, it worked with some elbow grease and a softish brush.

I rolled out my awning about 2 feet at a time, washed(from a step ladder) and rinsed, and then another 2 feet. If I needed to really press on a spot, I was close enough to the outside roller to put some pressure on it, and tighten up the canopy. It's back to about 98%.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

South Carolina
I use a cheapie, "Mold & Mildew Stain Remover with Bleach" from Family Dollar. Maybe $2 for a 1qt spray bottle. Spray it on, wipe it off. No need to rinse. In fact, rinsing may add to your problem. Let it dry in the sun, and it'll be good until the next time it gets put away wet.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #5

New York
We use Awesome from the Dollar Store - works for us!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #6

Saskatchewan
I use Rubbermaid Mold & Mildew Remover. Wet the top side of the awning, spay on the Rubbermaid product, brush it around good and roll up the awning. Leave it rolled up for 10 minutes. Unroll it and hose it off and dry it off. That's what I do with good results. I sometimes use Goo-B-Gone on stubborn bug stains.

Dave.
2012 Ford F150 XLT EB SS CRW 6.5 Max Tow
'12 Dutchmen Kodiak 284BHSL
knesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:17 AM   #7

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
We use Awesome from the Dollar Store - works for us!
X2. "Totally Awesome" lives up to its name.
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #8

California
Like the winterizing post here is another one I don't have to worry about. What's mildew? I live in the desert.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Like the winterizing post here is another one I don't have to worry about. What's mildew? I live in the desert.
Around my part of the Deep South green stuff grows on the dog if he lays in one spot too long.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #10

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Around my part of the Deep South green stuff grows on the dog if he lays in one spot too long.

Aaron
That's really funny and true!!

STTB is offline   Reply With Quote